PDA

View Full Version : A new vice.

EVguru
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
It was snowing pretty heavily this morning, but there was very little traffic on the roads and I got to work fine. The roads on site were a bit tricky with churned up snow constantly shifting under the tyres, but no real problem. Around 11:30am an email came through giving permission to leave at 2pm ahead of the predicted heavier snow. The snow came early, but lighter than predicted and the journey home would have been much easier if I hadn't been stuck behind someone doing just 15mph along a major route with clear tarmac to drive on.

By the time I got to Luton, the snow had abated and with the direct route to my house blocked with traffic I decided to go and buy some socks and get a very overdue oil change done. The garrage I use is directly opposite Chronos, so whilst the Mondeo was on the ramp, I dropped into the showroom. They were rather supprised to see a customer given the weather although very busy filling mail orders.

I picked up a set of magnetic fibre jaws for my bench vice and then headed for the clearance table. If you know what you're looking for there are some real bargains. The table feed for my BP clone came from there and cost me just 50. Just half an hours work saw that one fixed. Today the only thing that was really interesting was a Vertex K6 milling vice. It had been returned becuase the swivel base had two lugs broken off during shipping to a customer. I rarely if ever swivel a vice and it's repairable if I get round to it, so I came away with it for less than 1/2 price.

Alistair Hosie
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
The vertex 6 inch vice is very nice. I have one although I paid full price complete with lugs.( lucky begger living near Chronos) It's a good company I have bought much from them nothing in a way of reduced price other than free delivery well done.Alistair

pcarpenter
01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
How nice. I am a horrible packrat and bargain hunter. I have to watch myself and force myself to not waste money on stuff I don't need just because it's a bargain. It's easy to then not have the funds to use for something you really do need. I own a good number of items that I have yet to need because they were a bargain and I knew I would kick myself some day if I did need it and had to pay full price.

Still, I have to say, there is little "thrill of the chase" in buying some commodity item at regular price of a shelf. Finds like yours are what really put a smile on your face. The next smile comes when you get to use your find and know you got a nice piece of tooling for a song--and for being in the right place at the right time.

Paul

Mcgyver
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
ah man, I thought there were lurid accounts of debauchery coming; hard liqour, fast woman and long vegas nights.....but it's a vise you're speaking of :D