PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Standard Question

JCHannum
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Over the weekend, I picked up a Hi-Standard Sport King 22 auto. It is fixed sight. On the rear of the slide behind the sight is what appears to be a screw. I initially thought it was for windage adjustment, but on closer inspection, it is doubtful it is for that purpose. The question is just what does it do and how?

Ken_Shea
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Jim,
I don't recall any screw there, does it look factory?
Could be the dovetail was worn and the screw used to fix the sight?????

JCHannum
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Ken;
It is factory, I had another Hi-Standard with the same screw, and never could figure it out on that one either, but had no reason to fool with it. I want to add an adjustable sight to this one but don't want to destroy something in the process. It is serrated on the edge to add to the mystery.

Here's a photo;

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1070459.jpg

Ken_Shea
01-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I have no idea Jim, had never seen that.
Hope some one knows, I am curious as well.

Ken_Shea
01-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Does it click when turned, appears to be some serrations there?

Maybe a trigger sear adjustment ????

JCHannum
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Part of the problem is the wide slot does not accomodate a standard screwdriver and I cannot get it to turn without doing some damage to the slot. The slide is only about 1/4" thick in that area and the "screw" does not protrude on the other side.

I can usually dope these things out, but this one has me stymied. The gun is in nice shape and I do not want to goober up the screw slot.

chriskat
01-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Mine is much older HD model with adjustable sights. As you can see from the pic of the slide below.

http://home.comcast.net/~chriskat/High%20Standard/DSC_1007a.jpg

The sight is held in place by this binding screw above the firing pin.

http://home.comcast.net/~chriskat/High%20Standard/DSC_1009a.jpg

That binding screw is, in turn, locked by this screw on the underside of the slide.

http://home.comcast.net/~chriskat/High%20Standard/DSC_1008a.jpg

If you remove the screw from the bottom of the slide it releases the firing pin. To adjust the sight you just loosen the srew on the bottom of the slide, then loosen the one above the firing pin.

Maybe the screw on your frame captures the firing pin mechanism? Of course I'm just guessing.

I looked at several of the manuals here:

Hi Standard Manuals (http://www.histandard.info/manuals/)

But none of the exploded drawings seem to show that screw. Maybe the owner of the site can help?

Jeff

Ken_Shea
01-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Jim,
Success, at least in part, no clue what a "wear Plug" is.
http://www.histandard.info/manuals/levpistols/0162D150R.pdf

Highpower
01-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Ken;
It is factory, I had another Hi-Standard with the same screw, and never could figure it out on that one either, but had no reason to fool with it. I want to add an adjustable sight to this one but don't want to destroy something in the process. It is serrated on the edge to add to the mystery.
I believe that the plug you describe is not a screw or even a threaded part. It simply fills the seat for the adjustable rear sight and it was only relevant on the Sport Kings when the adjustable sight kit was installed. Thus the serrations. Note the position of the elevation screw in the above diagram for the adjustable rear sight, relative to the dovetail in the slide.

Maybe "wear plug" means it prevents wear of the serrations while the fixed sight is in place? :confused:

JCHannum
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys, wear plug it is and its function with the adjustable sight makes perfect sense now.

I have always admired the Hi-Standard pistols and lusted for their target models in the 50's. I had another one that I parted with a while back and ran across this one at a price I could not turn down. I am planning on a heavier barrel and adjustable sights for it, one more project on the list.

I picked up a Mauser 98 action at the same time and same very low price range, so the list grows.

chriskat
01-07-2010, 07:28 PM
So does it stay in place with the target sights? Or is it supposed to be removed so that the elevation screw ride on the bottom of the hole?

JCHannum
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
My suspicions are that it remains in place on adjustable sight models for the adjusting screw to bear on and just goes along for the ride on fixed sight models.

38_Cal
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
My SWAG is that it just gives the elevation screw a flat part to bear against, and can be adjusted or replaced if needed...keeps the slide from showing wear?

David

Ken_Shea
01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I looked at that again today and came to the same conclusion, a bit non conventional but still works, the slot only for replacing and wide enough for the elevation screw to seat.

JCHannum
01-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't think it is a screw now, just a serrated or knurled plug, pressed in place. The slot is too wide for a normal screwdriver and rounded so that it would slip out. That is why it resisted turning in my attempts to remove it.

There is not much depth for threads and it is in a blind hole, not visible from the other side. In the parts drawing, on my slide, and if I remember correctly, the other pistol, the slot is oriented 90 degrees to the bore. That would provide a seat and allow variations in windage adjustment. If it were not there, windage adjustment would rise and fall due to the curvature of the slide.

hockeysew
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a H-D Military with a persistent issue. With the hammer cocked the slide will not close completely, loaded chamber or empty. I have replaced every spring on the pistol, the locking lug and locking lug lever and yet the issue persists.
I have noticed that the locking lug to frame angle (side view) is less than 90 degrees. The lug leans to the rear of the pistol. While the frame where the lug bears shows some burnishing it does not appear overly worn or peened.
If the hammer is at rest the slide closes completely.
Anybody got any ideas?:confused:

38_Cal
01-10-2010, 01:04 AM
I have a H-D Military with a persistent issue. With the hammer cocked the slide will not close completely, loaded chamber or empty. I have replaced every spring on the pistol, the locking lug and locking lug lever and yet the issue persists.
I have noticed that the locking lug to frame angle (side view) is less than 90 degrees. The lug leans to the rear of the pistol. While the frame where the lug bears shows some burnishing it does not appear overly worn or peened.
Anybody got any ideas?:confused:

Probably should start a new thread for this one, but here goes: The hammer when forward pushes against the slide with whatever spring pressure it's given by the mainspring. Just for grins, try taking the extractor out of the slide and see if the slide closes with the hammer cocked. If so, the problem may be the recoil spring or the extractor.

David

chriskat
01-10-2010, 09:04 AM
I agree with David, a new post might get you more activity. Anyway, take a look here:

High Standard Manuals (http://www.histandard.info/manuals/)

And see if you can find the manual for your model. Might help.

Also, see if you can determine what High Standard called the "locking lug" so we know what part you are referring too. I don't know what that would be in a high standard .22

Jeff

JCHannum
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
The locking lug terminology cinfuses me also. The only locks I am aware of are the slide lock and the safety. The safety does lock the slide when the hammer is cocked and that might be the problem area.

A photo would help or dismantle the pistol and reassemble one part at a time until the problem presents itself.

chriskat
01-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I was wondering if Hockeysew was referring to the take down lever. In any case a pic would help, you're right.

Jeff

hockeysew
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the input. What I mistakenly called the locking lug is known as the "Stop Lug" Part 56H here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=8400
It sits inside the frame and the shaft for the takedown lever goes in it.

38_Special
You are close to the issue with your analysis. I have replaced the recoil spring and the extractor already. It appears to "Hang" on the extractor as it goes into battery. I have tried fitting 2 extractors so they wont hang on the cut for it but then it is too small to grab the rim of the cartridge reliably.

JC- I have done as you have written-1 part at a time but I am really banging my head on this one. FWIW this is only the 2cnd HS I have done any work on so I am sure some of you have alot more hand on on HS pistols than I. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow in a new thread

38_Cal
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input. What I mistakenly called the locking lug is known as the "Stop Lug" Part 56H here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=8400 ("")
It sits inside the frame and the shaft for the takedown lever goes in it.

38_Special
You are close to the issue with your analysis. I have replaced the recoil spring and the extractor already. It appears to "Hang" on the extractor as it goes into battery. I have tried fitting 2 extractors so they wont hang on the cut for it but then it is too small to grab the rim of the cartridge reliably.

JC- I have done as you have written-1 part at a time but I am really banging my head on this one. FWIW this is only the 2cnd HS I have done any work on so I am sure some of you have alot more hand on on HS pistols than I. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow in a new thread

You could have too strong a spring on your extractor, and it's keeping it from springing out into the cut in the barrel. Could also be crud built up in the extractor cut in the barrel doing the same. Either would keep the slide from going fully closed.

David

JCHannum
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks to Steve Steven for making an adjustable sight available, I have now installed same on the Hi-Standard slide, making use of the wear plug as intended.

As you can see in the photo, the elevation adjusting screw bears against the plug, in the slot. Further, the adjusting screw has a square, pyramidal point that serves as a click adjust to maintain the screw position. Altogether a neat adjustable sight.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1070498.jpg

garyphansen
02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
"I have a H-D Military with a persistent issue. With the hammer cocked the slide will not close completely, loaded chamber or empty. I have replaced every spring on the pistol, the locking lug and locking lug lever and yet the issue persists.
Anybody got any ideas"

Take the slide off and use a tool "screw driver" to compress the main spring then lock the main spring in place by pushing on the side of the rod the spring is on. I hope you can follow that, it is a little hard to put into words but it is easy to do. Gary P. Hansen