PDA

View Full Version : Commercial oven flattop griddle

HSS
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Has anyone ever machined any steel from a flattop griddle and would it be worth cutting it down, with as many heat cycles it has gone thru? I don't know whether to cut it up or scrap it.

Patrick

rkepler
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Has anyone ever machined any steel from a flattop griddle and would it be worth cutting it down, with as many heat cycles it has gone thru? I don't know whether to cut it up or scrap it.

I can't think of a reason not to use it. It'd make a nice work surface if nothing else, they're usually pretty heavy and smooth (at least smooth on the top). Might smell like eggs and bacon for a while, not like that's a bad thing.

Bruce Griffing
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
My first thought is that it may be a great welding table surface. Depends on the details of size, thickness etc.

HSS
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Bruce, it's 22" X 34" X .625 and smells like old cooking oil for some reason. Left it outside on the commercial range and it is rusty now. I have another one inside the shop still in the shipping crate that is 22" X 23" X .625. I placed a new gas cook stove in front of where it is stored and forgot about it till now.

Patrick

vpt
01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
To small for a work surface or welding surface IMO. I'd leave it like is until I needed it for something.