PDA

View Full Version : OT who runs the American Machinist forum?

Carld
01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I joined the site a few weeks ago and have not been permitted to post there. I emailed them several times and got no replies back.

Does Milacron still run that site?

lazlo
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Highly doubtful :) I gather they did not see eye-to-eye on the PM advertising strategy.

motorworks
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi
If they won't let u join, them F%$K them
Perhaps the best site on the web today with reguard to machining is here.
There are people here who can help u solve any problem
from DOC to RIP :)

Carld
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I can't argue that this site is not the best than any I have found or been a member of. There don't seem to be much action at American Machinist but I thought it may be another source.

I guess I'll just drop it if I can't post on it. What good is a site you can't post to?

The reason I asked about Milacron is I doubt he would let me on if he had anything to say about it. Which reminds me, I haven't seen him post here for a long time, I guess he just lurks.

loose nut
01-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Why would he come to this site ,we're not real mochinist's and use them thar furan Chinese lathes and such.

dp
01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
American Machinist (Penton, actually) is dropping the print version of the mag and may be re-organizing the on-line version. I'd guess it is all but dead for the time being.

lazlo
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Why would he come to this site ,we're not real mochinist's and use them thar furan Chinese lathes and such.

You seem to forget -- foreign lathes and mills are held to the highest regard over there: Deckel, Maho, Schaublin, D S & G, Weiler, Mazak, Mori Seiki, ...

Most of the frequent posters here are also participants on PM, and it's pretty easy to tell which forum is more appropriate for a particular discussion.

dp
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Meaning people come here to bitch about PM, and go to PM to bitch about HSM :)

Except for the bias against Asian equipment I really have never seen the difference - particularly off the General forum.

EdC
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I joined the site a few weeks ago and have not been permitted to post there. I emailed them several times and got no replies back.

I joined months ago and my account was never activated either. I sent emails and PM's to all the mods, admin and webmaster the only reply I ever got was from Chuck Bates one of the editors/mods. He said the website guy was working on it, and after a week he told me maybe I should just forget about it...so I have and haven't been back since.

It seemed to me they got in over their heads, the site was flooded daily with spam and the mods were never there. As far as the magazine goes its gotten smaller and smaller (I think last months was 3 feature articles) and the articles are written more like a sales pitch for the equipment manufacturer than an article on the method or technology.

I

EdC
01-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Meaning people come here to bitch about PM, and go to PM to bitch about HSM :)

Except for the bias against Asian equipment I really have never seen the difference - particularly off the General forum.
Exactly!

I frequent a lot of archery forums and it exists there and everywhere else for that matter. They are either brand fan-boys or brand haters and they travel from forum to forum, to bash yours and praise theirs.

loose nut
01-09-2010, 12:21 PM
You seem to forget -- foreign lathes and mills are held to the highest regard over there: Deckel, Maho, Schaublin, D S & G, Weiler, Mazak, Mori Seiki, ...

Most of the frequent posters here are also participants on PM, and it's pretty easy to tell which forum is more appropriate for a particular discussion.

Yes, they like foreign equipment as long as it is the right foreign equipment and if an amateur asks a basic question he may very well be asked to go to one of the "other" site because PM is for Pros. I have seen people burned that way there. Life is to short to put up with that sort of $#!+. I quite going there.

bmw625
01-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I can't argue that this site is not the best than any I have found or been a member of. There don't seem to be much action at American Machinist but I thought it may be another source.

I guess I'll just drop it if I can't post on it. What good is a site you can't post to?

The reason I asked about Milacron is I doubt he would let me on if he had anything to say about it. Which reminds me, I haven't seen him post here for a long time, I guess he just lurks.

he needs an icewater enema ! ;)