PDA

View Full Version : Delivery people OT

Boucher
01-08-2010, 10:22 AM
We live in a rural area and over time we establish a relationship with our UPS drivers. We have a ten year old Rat Terrier that grew up in our office and she thought that everyone that came there came to see her. She wants to greet everyone. Our UPS driver carries dog biscuits and uses them to make friends with the dogs on his route. When she hears the driveway alarm she is off to get her biscuit. She doesn’t go into the truck but she puts her feet on the first step in anxious anticipation. We have a new substitute UPS Lady that is terrified of all dogs. When Patches appeared at the door, She went ballistic. I felt sorry for her but she is clearly in the wrong job.

Carld
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I'll agree with you on that. A delivery person can be wary of dogs but they have to get around that to do their job and if they are terrified of dogs they have a serious problem doing that job.

Black_Moons
01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
hahaha.. the best part of that story is she likey had dogs comming up to her at nearly every house on her route, super excited going 'WHERES MY COOKIE!!'

At least you have delivery people.... Now they only leave slips in my mailbox saying 'pick it up tomarrow at the post office', or they just leave it in my mailbox if its small -_-;

Carld
01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Maybe you can buy her a bag of doggy cookies for her to toss to the critters to get them out of her way.

larry_g
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
My brother managed a wheat ranch out in the middle of nowhere, central Oregon. The UPS driver used to bring them donuts out from town. Of course the UPS driver had his own recliner near the shop stove and free run at the coffee pot.

lg
no neat sig line

Tony Ennis
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
A delivery person must be comfortable around animals.

RB211
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Ah thats the nice thing about being a courier pilot, no animals.

Fasttrack
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
LOL - my sister and BIL have a great dane on the farm. He is a fantastic looking dog; he's huge, even for a great dane. He practically ripples with muscle when he moves and most people say he looks more like a quarter pony than a dog.

Well, when people whom he does not recognize pull up to the house he starts barking ... and it is a most impressive bark! Needless to say, most folks are about scared sh*tless when they see him. The reactions are always priceless. I watched one guy step out of his truck and then leap back into the truck when he saw him. :D

ulav8r
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Dad was a lineman for the Elec. utility. His co-worker at the time was afraid of dogs. One day they pulled up to a house and the other guy was at the back of the truck. A Chihuahua or terrier came around the corner of the house, with its tail wagging. Dad yelled and ran around the truck. His co-worker jumped over a transformer that was in the back end to get away from the dog. Dad started laughing before the other guy even saw the dog, his co-worker was mad at Dad for the rest of the day.

dewat
01-09-2010, 12:49 AM
While talking to a woman at her front door, her very small Chihuahua was yapping away in it's very high pitch but loud bark, she invited me in and as I stepped through the doorway I felt something slightly tugging at the cuff of my pants, the Chihuahua was just doing what comes natural, protecting his territory, but it was so funny, this little dog couldn't have weighed more than 3 lbs.

Black_Moons
01-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Its only funny till they rip your pants and the owner says 'Awww how cute'
And then the next dog they own that is twice as big gets the same treatment. 'Awww cute it drew blood'.
Or maybe it attacks some baby where a 3lb dog is enough to mame.
Or maybe they get a 2nd dog and it learns from the small one. Our last large dog learned a lot from a very well behaved spanial. Then you have a violent dog with the capability to kill.

Little dogs should not be allowed to be yippy or violent just because they are 'too small to do damage', And I dispise all dog owners who would let there animal become one. You don't let a cat become violent or yip all day at everyone. Why would you let a cat sized dog?

BigBoy1
01-09-2010, 09:03 AM
While talking to a woman at her front door, her very small Chihuahua was yapping away in it's very high pitch but loud bark, she invited me in and as I stepped through the doorway I felt something slightly tugging at the cuff of my pants, the Chihuahua was just doing what comes natural, protecting his territory, but it was so funny, this little dog couldn't have weighed more than 3 lbs.

When I was young (must be a 100 years ago!) I had a paper route where I delivered newspapers to homes. There were all kinds of dogs along the route, Great Danes, German Shepards, St. Bernards, etc. Of all of these dogs, the only one that even bite me was the little Chihuahuas!

Your Old Dog
01-09-2010, 09:49 AM

At least you have delivery people.... Now they only leave slips in my mailbox saying 'pick it up tomarrow at the post office', or they just leave it in my mailbox if its small -_-;

My mailman was the same way. I was working in the side yard when he left a note on the mailbox at the road saying no one was home, come and pick up a package at the Post Office. He never pulled in the drive,knocked on the door or even looked in the yard from his car window? I complained about it as it was a great pain in the arse to wait until Monday to get my package.

My UPS guy is fantastic. I've given him a $20 dollar tip every Christmas as I get a lot of packages and he is great about securing them for me.

dewat
01-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Its only funny till they rip your pants and the owner says 'Awww how cute'
And then the next dog they own that is twice as big gets the same treatment. 'Awww cute it drew blood'.
Or maybe it attacks some baby where a 3lb dog is enough to mame.
Or maybe they get a 2nd dog and it learns from the small one. Our last large dog learned a lot from a very well behaved spanial. Then you have a violent dog with the capability to kill.

Little dogs should not be allowed to be yippy or violent just because they are 'too small to do damage', And I dispise all dog owners who would let there animal become one. You don't let a cat become violent or yip all day at everyone. Why would you let a cat sized dog?

Yep, the little ones are more aggressive, I think it's because of their size they overcompensate, kind of a Napoleonic complex.

When I lived in Las Vegas my next door neighbor was a K-9 officer, they brought their dog home with them. As long as Steve was with him Kai was fairly quite but if Steve was in the house or gone Kai would let me know he was there when I was in the backyard. Once when Steve and family went to Disneyland for the weekend ( in August, HOT!!!) he asked me to look over the wall and if needed fill up Kai's water bowl, easier said than done, I was on a step ladder using a hose over the 6ft wall, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get to the bowl, I think he thought I was his dentist. But on another occasion Steve was washing his car his wife was helping and Kai was laying on the lawn when a woman pushing a stroller came down the sidewalk, as women will do the wife wanted to see the baby (about 3 mo. old) and there was Kai the big puppy, his tail wagging a mile a minute, licking the baby's feet.

Steve Seebold
01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
My brother has a great dane that id 36 inches tall at the shoulders and weighs about 150 pounds. I have a maltese that weighs about 7 pounds and his great dane is afraid of my maltese.

The great dane's name is Deisel and he barks, you can hear him 2 blocks away. He sounds ferotious, but he afraid of his own shadow.

The UPS driver is always safe.

AD5MB
01-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Population 9200

UPS driver will stop and deliver a package to you if he sees your car at a restaurant or store

If you aren't home he takes it to your work site

If it's huge he puts it in the unlocked un-running van, and locks the door.

Services not seen in larger communities

ckelloug
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
My FedEx ground driver knows I'm not at my office very often. He's gotten to the point where he calls me and tells me that he's got a package for me. I tell him leave it on the dock, I'll be there in 5 minutes and there it is waiting for me.