X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbmathias
    • Jul 2003

Shiny Copper

What are the best ways to keep brushed or polished copper staying bright? I'd like something that applies easily, dries quickly, and stays around - all I want is everything.
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?
  • PeteM
    • Aug 2001

Easy applying, quick drying, spray varnish?

Comment

• Tinkerer
      • Oct 2004

Clear lacquer.
      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

• Ries
        • Sep 2004

Permalac

Comment

• gwilson
          • Feb 2007

I'd caution you that unless your brightly polished copper is thoroughly cleaned of polish that has gotten INTO the surface of the copper,a sprayed lacquer finish will peel off like Saran wrap.

I've had to spend a lot of time cleaning polished brass with Stoddard solvent before applying a lacquer. It is amazing how much black crud will come out of a mirror polished piece made of rolled half hard brass.

Comment

• spope14
            • Dec 2001

I did something a few years back, learnt from my woodworking days...I used tung oil and really worked it onto a buffed brass surface. The real tung oil, not that pretend tung. I have done this with candlesticks and many other things, rubbed in many times over and buffed by hand with a good soft cotton cloth (on the lathe, I just chuck of collet it up and spin it good). I am not sure of a brand name, I got a one gallon milk jug full from an old woodworking friend many years back. Stuff gets "very hard" when buffed vigorously.
            CCBW, MAH

Comment

• small.planes
              • Aug 2007

Im sure I saw Evan recommend rain-x for keeping things shiny somewhere. Forms a really thin see through coat.

Dave
              Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

• spope14
                • Dec 2001

I will have to try rain-x, sounds like it will work.
                CCBW, MAH

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                  • Oct 2004

if its going outside ..there ain't nothing you can put on that you're not going to end up re-doing a couple of years later .

after you've coated it ..and its outside .you could pledge it once a week that will stretch it out.

all the best.markj

Comment

• sbmathias
                    • Jul 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions. These will eventually go outside, but my main concern is to keep them pretty while they sit indoors for weeks or months. I guess I'll have to do some testing of the different suggestions.
                    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Comment

Working...
                    X