PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo ADS-2 Digitmatic DRO for lathe

Uman
10-20-2003, 01:59 PM
I am considering purchasing a Mitutoyo ADS-2 Digitmatic for my lathe. Is this the best DRO for under a grand? Is the short scale a slim type? What about the Sargon from Grizzly? If there are any users of this Mitutoyo ADS-2 Digital Read out, I would very much appreciate your review please.
Thanks,
Jeff in Florida

SGW
10-20-2003, 02:13 PM
I looked pretty hard at the ADS-2 a while ago. I concluded that it isn't as precise as I want, although it's pretty good. It has a RESOLUTION of +/- 0.0001", which sounds fantastic, but if you check the details, the ACCURACY it guarantees is more like +/- 0.001". So in fact the resolution doesn't mean much. This isn't unique to Mitutoyo; lots of manufacturers seem to obfuscate when it comes to the specs on their low-end DROs.

Take a look at http://candomachinery.com/ I've never dealt with them, but they have pretty good prices on Sargon.

As recently noted in another thread, putting a DRO on a lathe is very demanding application because of the radius/diameter thing. An accuracy of +/- 0.001" on the radius (what the DRO is going to read) gives you a +/- 0.002" error range on the diameter, which is probably unacceptable. As long as you're willing to do the final diameter measurements by hand though, and just use the DRO to get within, say, 0.005" of final size, I'd think the ADS-2 ought to be fine.

By the way, if you're thinking of buying an ADS-2, Penn Tool seems to have all others beat on price by a mile.