PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly now shipping to Canada

Bones
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Seen to recall mention here of Grizzly not shipping to Canada. Just noticed on their web site they will now do this. Maybe this is old news, and just new to me,but some may not be aware.

bones

KillerMike
01-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Interesting news.. and good news. I wonder what happened to their agreement with BusyBee. I never understood it, because GRIZZLY had alot of stuff BusyBee doesn't. Not that I'm complaining.. NOW.

uncle pete
01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Bones,
Great news for me and I appreciate the heads up.

Pete

Don Young
01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
The 2010 catalog also offers shipping to Canada.

ecortech
01-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, but it looks like they only ship UPS. I will not ship anything UPS across the border to Canada, if I can avoid it. The brokerage charges UPS dings us with are astronomical, unless this has changed recently.
I have seen numerous times the shipping and brokerage charges from UPS exceed the cost of the item itself. Not only that, the shipping charged is usually only on the US side, when the item arrives you then have to pay UPS Canada shipping from the border to your door. I believe if the item is shipped expedited, the cost will be everything right to your door, which will be a whole lot more than UPS Ground which is usually quoted. I also seem to remember if you ship 2nd day air or something similar, you will avoid the brokerage charges, but will also be substantially more than UPS ground.
UPS freight may be different but be aware and check with them exactly what it will cost to your door.
I used to ship UPS Ground frequently from the US to Canada before they started the outrageous charges, was quite good, usually order stuff Mon. it would arrive Wed. or Thurs. same week, from most anywhere in the US.
I now ship most things Postal as it is the most economical, but sometimes not the fastest, but overall is the best option for Canadians.

Ed

Evan
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
If UPS is the only shipping option then there is no point in ordering from Grizzly. The brokerage charges via UPS are a percentage of the value so there is no break even point. This isn't duty, duty is on top of that. The minimum brokerage charges are around 40 to 45 dollars and go up from there. That also doesn't include the cost of shipping or taxes.

Chris Alton
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
That is good news.
I live on a border town and they would not even ship within the U.S. using my Canadian credit card.
Interesting that they would have cut off 35 million people from there business for so long??

lakeside53
01-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Maybe the USA market is now saturated...:D

Evan
01-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Maybe the Balolia bros had an argument. :rolleyes:

Black_Moons
01-10-2010, 02:07 AM
lol at grizzly shiping via UPS. It would be cheaper for me to hire someone to drive down to thier store and buy it for me!
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
Meaning:
$100.01+ valued package: $29 'entry charges'
'bond to allow UPS shipments to be released in advance of payment to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $5.85) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged'
So thats another $6
'Collect On Delivery (C.O.D.) Fee for collecting import charges on delivery'
$4.25 (Isent that the bond they just posted????)
So thats $40 right off the bat, before your charged an ADDITIONAL 13% tax for $53 total now... on a $100.01 item.. Lets note ground shiping was like $20~60 on this imaginary item ontop of that, and 'expited' (see: brokerage fee) shiping is likey $80~160
So about the same price really. And I HAVE been charged all the above fees before.. once COD, and another time they sent me a bill 2 weeks after accepting delivery! I thought it was some kinda fraud scam when I first got the letter..

Oh, and UPS is limited to 75lbs iirc.

Not sure what 'Duty and Tax Amendment' but that sounds like yet another thing they can tack on at random, and they price that at $50 alone
And what about those 'Import Permits (each)' at $23 a pop? Maybe they all of a sudden decide your 100 pack of resistors needs an import permit per resistor. Not that iv been charged these but I would'nt put it past them to randomly charge people these.

ftl
01-10-2010, 02:26 AM
I agree with how expensive it is if you let UPS clear it. I have a small retail business that regularly imports stuff from the US and we have a customs broker that clears all of our shipments. They charge around $10 to $30 (plus GST and any applicable duties). It mainly depends on how many line items there are on the invoice. The highest charge I have ever seen is about $60 for brokerage for a couple of pallets of stuff worth $10K with an invoice that is probably 10 pages long.

UPS is obligated to use your broker when the broker has registered as your broker.

Every now and then UPS clears it anyway and we just send them a form letter (it takes way too long to talk to somebody on the telephone) back with their invoice indicating that they are not authorized to clear our shipments and to please forward all of the paperwork to our broker so the shipment can be cleared properly. That has always worked.

It is also possible (and not that difficult I am told) to clear the shipments yourself, although you will have to wait until you have done all the paperwork and paid off the goverment before they will release the goods.

terry_g
01-10-2010, 05:42 AM
UPS are crooks! I ordered some parts for my BMW motorcycle from a supplier in the U.S. who would only ship to Canada by UPS when they arrived at my door, I was charged an additional $67.00. When I inquired after a painful time with UPS's 800 number I was told they charged $55.00 plus a percent of the cost of the shipment.
One of the items was a windscreen from Cee Bailey Plastics,. It was around $120.00 US and even with the exchange rate, prepaid shipping, UPS gouge at the door it was still half of what the dealer in B.C. wanted before shipping. We sure get screwed up here in Canada.

Terry