X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidh
    • Dec 2007

diggin in my stuff (what that?)

today i was doing a bit of organizing (kinda) and ran across a couple 3/4" armstrong carbide lathe tools. can a guy just grind down the 3/4" steel and use these guys in a smaller holder or is there a problem with the carbides being too large ? and what is the tool on the left used for? actually i found about 4 of those. . . .

• Uncle O
    • Dec 2006

I believe that is a facing tool

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

You can grind/mill down the shanks pretty much however you want,so long as you don't mill them down too thin where they bend of course.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Machinist-Guide
        • Nov 2009

Tool on left

This tool can be used for turning. Mount it on the back side of your tool post parallel with the lathe bed
        Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

• sconisbee
          • Aug 2006

Tool on the left is a left hand turning and facing tool, the brazed insert equivalent of something like the SCLCL or PCLNL type insert holders

I wouldn't worry about making the shanks smaller they might not even be hardened

Comment

• gzig5
            • May 2005

The shanks on these brazed carbide tools is mild steel of some sort. Actually mills pretty well. I just milled a 3/4" square shank down to 1/2 and it cut like butter.

Comment

• DR
              • Jan 2003

Not a problem with too large carbide.

The problem will be no (or very little) top rake. Plus, no chip breaker.

Comment

• AiR_GuNNeR
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DR
                Not a problem with too large carbide.

The problem will be no (or very little) top rake. Plus, no chip breaker.
                When you cut/grind it down to size, can you simply do it at an angle to get your top rake?
                Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
                www.scope-werks.com
                www.compufoil.com

Comment

• dp
                  • Mar 2005

Clear evidence that you need a shaper!

Comment

• davidh
                    • Dec 2007

i did mill two of them down last night on my bridgeport using a carbide tipped single point tool in a cheapo flycutter. bang bang bang bang, every revolution. it did work, i needed to sharpen the carbide once but it still worked. maybe i should have used a ruffing endmill ? i have no clue. but i still have more to do.

why would i need to change the relief of the carbide ? i am just re-sizing the square of the tool.

these are painted grey, im guessing someone took them from the military a long time ago. they do say armstrong on them however.

on another note, i found a 1/2" "cobalt" stick cutting tool in the mess. nice and shiney. in researching cobalt, i read that its not solid cobalt but a small % added to the hss to make it a bit harder. is this true ? i have a good set of cobalt drills for removing broken allen head screws and stuff and they seem quite a bit better than just good drills. is there an advantage to the cobalt additive in lathe tools ?

davidh (the guy with many questions)

Comment

• recoilless
                      • Mar 2006

I've milled down some 1" shanks I picked up at an auction no problem. I seem to recall someone else actually milling a female dovetail into some of these to use on a QC toolpost. Maybe someone saved the thread here.
                      I bury my work

Comment

• davidh
                        • Dec 2007

geeeze why didn't i think of that. . good practice on the dovetails.

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
                          • Aug 2002

I've reduced these type of shanks often,but you must do a file test first.I never came across one yet that didn't turn out nice.I wish you well I have spent alot of money buying a nice set of kennametal tools which I am going to convert to using from now on along with the tools I have both with hss tools and those with carbide cutters soldered on may become redundant.Keep happy and well .Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                          X