PDA

View Full Version : OT: What happened to Norton Antivirus

JoeFin
01-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I remember back in the early 90s (92-94) you wouldn't think of traveling around with your "Portable Computer" without a copy of Norton Utilities on it. Only way to keep the damm things from crashing.

So it's been since then I've been using Norton products - right up until today

Today I've had enough of the $149 per hour Tech Support (some flunky in India) because Norton's AntiVirus is so full of holes its the Hacker's Backdoor of choice.

Looks now like the whole affair has been outsoursed to India

I see from their website they have now broken down their "World Famous PC Protection" into categories.

Anto Virus $79
PC Check Up $49
Anti Spam $49
AntiMalware $69
AntiSpyWare $69

When I buy a product to protect my computer I expect it to do the WHOLE job and not to be nickel and dimed to death trying to patch the Holes in their supposed Protection

end of rant -

John Stevenson
01-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Norton and Adobe are virus's as far as I'm concerned. Any machine I have had with either of these on has had problems and crawled.

In the last three ? years I have used AVG and Foxit with no problems like I had before.

Tony Ennis
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Get a Mac! Then you don't need any of it.

I don't run IE. And I run Avast on my PCs and avoid naughty sites and gamer sites. That's where most of the viri are.

A hardware router is yer best pal in any event.

John Stevenson
01-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Get a Mac! Then you don't need any of it.

I don't run IE. And I run Avast on my PCs and avoid naughty sites and gamer sites. That's where most of the viri are.

A hardware router is yer best pal in any event.

Yes right, a Mac and Linux ISN'T the answer to everything if you need certain software.

To say they have been running for as long as they have why hasn't anyone written a DECENT CAD/CAM package for them.

tdkkart
01-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Norton has simply fallen out of favor because it's costly, it's a resource hog, and it insists in having it's fingers wrapped around every operation of the computer.
There are better programs out there for free that operate almost invisibly in the background.

gnm109
01-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Symantec bought it a while back and now it's basically its own virus. It's guaranteed to make your computer slow down. It's nothing but a memory Hog now.

spope14
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Our local computer person, who also runs a computer security business suggests "Bit Defender" for computers. My daughter put this on her computer for college, their IT people also suggest it. I still have my snortin norton on my computer due to having five months left on the subscription, but will be going that way after the sub is done.

McAffe is the biggest PITA of all. I had to buy this when I went back to college in 2005, and have never been able to get hold of McAffe through a real live human being to change my email address or cancel the subscription.
Though they do not have the right email, they can still find my credit card info though the number has changed and they hit me for the bill. They are now on my "do not authorize" list for next year.

It also slows down that system so bad the laptop was completely worthless until I max'd out the memory in it.

Pete F
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I use BitDefender. It does a good job, but kind of gets in my way once in a while. For example, right now, I have to put it in game mode to open a cygwin bash shell. It also tends to be a bit flaky every fall, when the release the new version, then it slowly sorts itself out over the next few weeks.

The best thing I can say it is that it doesn't bug me enough to bother researching and trying a different product. I can't say that about Norton...

-Pete

Black_Moons
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
All you 'get a mac it doesnt have viruses' people have finaly encouraged enough people to buy macs that people now write viruses for them and they now need antivirus software just like PC's do.
Congradulations! Soon you might even be considered a real choice.

JoeFin
01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
All you 'get a mac it doesnt have viruses'.

How is the support for Mastercam on a MAC

S_J_H
01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I have a new Imac. It is solid. Really nice machine IMO.
I also have 3 PC's running various windows versions.
I have found comodo to be pretty good after messing with avast and avg.
Check it out, they have a nice free version-
http://www.comodo.com/

Steve

tmarks11
01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I swear by ESET NOD32 for AV protection. Compact, doesn't bog down your system every time you launch something.

Been running it for about 5 years without a single problem. Routinely gets high marks from various reviewers (except for a few magazines who seem to SELL high review results to the chosen few who take out full page adds...).

Previously had Norton AV. Enough said about that.

KillerMike
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Agree with ESET.. run it on all 4 of my machines.. has saved my butt a few times! Small footprint, and doesn't bog my systems down at all.

Mike.

I swear by ESET NOD32 for AV protection. Compact, doesn't bog down your system every time you launch something.

Been running it for about 5 years without a single problem. Routinely gets high marks from various reviewers (except for a few magazines who seem to SELL high review results to the chosen few who take out full page adds...).

Previously had Norton AV. Enough said about that.

johnl
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry fellows, but I have been using Norton 360. Its got all the protection you are asking for, and I have had no trouble with it,no virus, or any real slowdowns.
don't know whats the matter with me.
John l

Your Old Dog
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
What happened to Norton Antivirus ? A few years back people started saying it had actually ruined a few computers beyond repair. I know it screwed up one of mine about 7 years ago. I've been using AVG since Evan reccomended it a few years back. I'm not so sure it's the best thing out there that's a freebe?

bobw53
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
What happened to Norton AntivirusI've been using AVG since Evan reccomended it a few years back. I'm not so sure it's the best thing out there that's a freebe?

AVG used to be fantastic(key words USED TO), recently its gone to hell. Huge resource hog and it misses a LOT. I swapped over to Avast on my machines on recommendations in a thread here a bit back. You'll be surprised how much quicker your comp will be.

You'll also jump out of your shorts the first time it speaks up at 3am and says "virus database has been updated".

tmc_31
01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I have 5 computers in my home. One each for my kids, one each for my wife and I and a PC for my business. My wife and I have had MacBooks for about 8 months and have had no trouble with no antivirus software installed. Up until 5 months ago I was using Norton 360 on my office computer and the kids computers. I had been using Norton products for years with varied success. My office PC had crashed several times due to viruses ( while protected with norton) requiring wiping the hard drive and reloading XP and all the programs I use and all the data. Also have had several crashes on the kids computers using Norton. The last straw with Norton was when I had a crash, could not reload norton without paying another $149.00. I have since switched to AVG free and have had no further problems. Norton sucks!

Tim

lazlo
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Sorry fellows, but I have been using Norton 360. Its got all the protection you are asking for, and I have had no trouble with it,no virus, or any real slowdowns.

don't know whats the matter with me.l

I've got the same problem :) I'm looking at the process manager, and Norton 360 has two processes, one is 3.8 MBytes, the other is 1.7 MBytes. Scans and updates automatically, no impact to the CPU load, and I never see it.

Norton 360 is often free after rebate at Frys too...

KiddZimaHater
01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Johnl, I agree with you.
I have Norton 360 as well, and I've never had any problems with it.
It stops viruses, alerts me to fishy websites, and hasn't slowed down my computer at all.
I guess we're just the 2 idiots on the forum. :confused:

jsmccash
01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I agree that Norton is like a virus. Uses lots of resources and some versions are near impossible to unistall.
My brother finally got it off my machine by reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system. He installed a free program called avast and on several other computers for work. Works great.
I AM DONE WITH NORTON!

lazlo
01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I guess we're just the 2 idiots on the forum. :confused:

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the post above :) I'm also using Norton 360, it works great, has a very high detection rate, is completely transparent, takes very little resources, and was free after rebate.

Other than that, I hate it ;)

beanbag
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Nobody has mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials, the free program from MS.

lakeside53
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I was a Norton user forever.. then came 2008.. and a hosed system. I now use Kaspersky... Works very well.. and also free for three computers after Fry's rebates (two years in a row):D

My neigbors all use Norton (I put it on their computers years ago). The 2010 version seems pretty good.

lazlo
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
My neigbors all use Norton (I put it on their computers years ago). The 2010 version seems pretty good.

By the way, Norton 360 is a totally different product than the Norton Security Suite. It's much, much lighter, and I think it has a different engine as well...

darryl
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I never had anything good to say about norton- my experience was like most- resource hog, slowed the computer down, crashed it, caused a lot of re-installs

It should be tied to some terrorists ginch and set on fire, along with all the other clap that wastes your time and gets in your way.

How many different programs do you see that seem to work fine at first, then suddenly after several 'updates' it fu_ks you over. Sorry about the language, but that is just what so many programs actually do. Norton does it, Adobe does it, IE does it, I think AVG is doing it now too. Then just try to run an earlier version that hasn't been compromised- don't have much success there- blood_ computers :)