PDA

View Full Version : Small hardware source?

jdunmyer
01-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Does anyone have a favorite source for small hardware? Things like #4 and #5 screws, etc.

TIA: <<Jim>>

Ken_Shea
01-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Never bought from them so can't say they are my favorite but the should have what you need
http://www.smallparts.com

DaHui
01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
www.mcmaster.com

the bringer of everything.

JeffKranz
01-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Stop down the street, I probably can help you out if you just need a few.

Jeff

snowman
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
There should be a sticky...before you ask how to source a part, have you checked Mcmaster.

We can filter it by IP address so those crazy canooks of the north don't have to be teased by McMasters wonders.

john hobdeclipe
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.scalehardware.com/

Don't know anything about them, or even why I have it bookmarked, but they do list some interesting itty bitty stuff.

daveo
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)

the bringer of everything.

Very true! But I went to order some small screws (that I'll never use again) and I had to buy 100.... That part sucks!

ckalley
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
No association, just a happy customer..... Got every thing from #0 to WAY past 1"

http://www.nutty.com/ (Cut & Paste)

jdunmyer
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks, fellas!

I hadn't thought of MM-C, but the part about having to buy a full box isn't so great. My friend with the Silver King tractor did order the brake lining from them, and it came in 2 days.

Will check out the others.

Thanks again!

MotorradMike
01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
There should be a sticky...before you ask how to source a part, have you checked Mcmaster.

We can filter it by IP address so those crazy canooks of the north don't have to be teased by McMasters wonders.

They ship here.

smalltime
01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
My local ACE hardware store sells stuff from the drawers. They have shcs, pan heads, flatheads and many torx from 1-72 on up in s.s. and brass. You might ask there.
I've even found stuff as small as 0-80 there.

If that fails, you may want to try Hobby Lobby in the clock making or doll house dept. Lots of wood screws but also some machine screws as well. When all else fails, go to the local gunsmith and beg.

DougA
01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
They ship here.
I tried to set an account up with them so I could buy things there but they only service existing accounts in Canada and won't set up new ones. They claim its do to the complexity of US export rules????

form_change
01-12-2010, 05:01 AM
McMaster is good for lots of stuff. The other one I sometimes use is www.smallparts.com.au (note the .au)
They ship world wide, take a variety of currencies and seem to have lots of the odd stuff, although sometimes there is the minimum buy thing

Peter.
01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
I tried to set an account up with them so I could buy things there but they only service existing accounts in Canada and won't set up new ones. They claim its do to the complexity of US export rules????

That's handy then, just how many Canadian account will they have given that they hadn't been shipping there until recently?

Duffy
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
That's handy then, just how many Canadian account will they have given that they hadn't been shipping there until recently?
Try Micro Fasteners, they are somewhere in New Jersy, but used to advertise in HSM. I have used them, and their prices seem reasonable. They will ship USPS so it will be no hassle to you. Duffy

daveo
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Micro Fasteners, seems like a good place for this stuff, at least I can buy 50 of something instead of 100. Prices seems good too.

Carld
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Yep, my local town hardware store is about a mile away and has almost any bolt I need. If I need a lot of them I get them from Enco usually.

Marc M
01-13-2010, 03:21 AM
McMaster-Carr hands down. Might be able to find them a bit cheaper elsewhere but for small screws the difference in price isn't worth the hassle. A box of 100 4-40 x 3/4" phillips pan head screws: $1.94, and will be at your shop in a day or two.

Though you don't need 100 now, you'll probably find a need in the future. If it's something that I'll rarely use and more than a couple bucks a box, I'll buy the longest fully threaded size they have and cut them down to the length I need since it only takes a couple of seconds with a die grinder & cut-off wheel. That way when the future project pops up that requires a 1" 4-40 screw, I won't be stuck buying another box of longer screws that I'll never use.