X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melvin1218
    • Jan 2009

9" southbend lathe questions

i have two 9" sb lathes. one is complete, it has a 4' bed,catalog #480a serial 46139a. the other has a 3' bed catalog #25-y serial 29225. i need a tailstock for the 3'. recently i got 1 on ebay but it was 3.875 wide @ the base and the correct 1 should b 4.875. all the guys ive spoke with have the narrow tailstock @ 3.875. both of my lathe beds take the wider tailstock. Would like any n all feedback on what my lathes are. thank you for your help!!
  • panchula
    • Sep 2001

Most Likely a 9"Jr

They're most likely a 9" Jr and or a 405. These early 9" SB's were built on the same bed as a SB 10L (Heavy 10). Are the aprons on these straight sided? The lighter 9" Workshop and 10K lathes have aprons with curves cast into the sides of the aprons. My first lathe was a 1928 9" Jr.

There are groups on yahoo dedicated to the various models of South Bends and also a vary active SB section on the Practical Machinist forum.

-Mike

Comment

My group is devoted to the Heavy 10, but has a lot of information applicable to all units, and we are newbie friendly.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10L/

Nelson

Comment

Working...
      X