PDA

View Full Version : Very articulate

EVguru
01-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Nice off-roader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7QrR4Ur8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Ken_Shea
01-12-2010, 09:01 AM
That is pretty ingenious and just about as ugly as it is aticulative, not sure that's a word but if it isn't it should be.

Carld
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
The real go anywhere vehicle.

vpt
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Awesome! ingenious.

dave5605
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
That thing was actually build back in 2003 (pretty sure that was the year). Idea never seemed to take off though. Probably way too heavy and mucho bucks to build one. Not affordable by the average offroader.

Great vehicle though. At least someone thinking outside the box.

Black_Moons
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
That is pertty damn awsome. Nice to see someone making something NEW insted of just the same old done to death designs. Who cares if the hydrolics cost a fortune.

Evan
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Main problem I see is if he gets good and stuck there isn't anybody that can come to get him out.

Evan
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
This is my favorite off road vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5bYl89IZiQ

dp
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
My favorite off-road vehicle. No terrain was destroyed tooling around with this one :)

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/gallery/Ercoupe_3354H

garagemark
01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
All I can see with any of them is my arse getting into a PILE of trouble with them. I would die.

SpyGuy
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Great vehicle though. At least someone thinking outside the box.

How about the Russian ZIL-29061 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI&feature=related)? I think they crushed the box! :p

vpt
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
^ that just looks scary.

andy_b
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
This is my favorite off road vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5bYl89IZiQ

Those guys have a show on Discovery I believe, Howe & Howe Tech.

andy b.

madman
01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Nice workmanship interesting Design BUT if you wanna go offroad NOTHING BEATS A GOOD PAIR OF BROKEN IN HIKING BOOTS, ive had it all argoes,, 4x4 s ,,atv s,, and to cap it off without any Malice they all got stuck and were a PAIN IN THE BUT .A good pair of boots you can go ANYWHERE. I been places not many People have Been and i prefer walking period. The motorized stuff just cant cut it. Just causes you grief. At least in hostile terrain. best thing for slushy lakes and open tundra so far is a airboat Mines getting built slowly as time allows.

Lew Hartswick
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
How about the Russian ZIL-29061 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI&feature=related)? I think they crushed the box! :p
Hey! I just saw the "prototype" of that in snow that must have been
made in the US back many years ago. Someone sent me a link
that was titled something like " snow tractor" and it was just like
that but the augers were biger.
...lew...

PSD KEN
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
The Zil is nothing new, the concept goes back to the 1920's

Ol' Henrry even built one using a model A.

Mike Burdick
01-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Speaking of strange vehicles, or equipment...

Many years ago I designed a 26 mile power line for a client that needed it to his property where he had a mine. The terrain was very rough and typically a hole for each pole would take a crew perhaps 2 weeks just to dig it by hand. It was impossible to get any equipment to the pole sites, or so I thought. The contractor, which was a big name in the industry, brought in a "Spider Backhoe" similar to this to dig the holes. I had no idea that something like this existed.

http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/106263.jpg

Willy
01-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Mike you're probably thinking of the Swiss excavator Menzi Muck (http://www.menzimuck.com/index-en.html).
A very agile and capable machine in rough steep terrain, especially in the hands of a capable operator.
Lots of vids on Menzi Muck's site.
Here's one from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlVXcIff1U

Mike Burdick
01-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Mike you're probably thinking of the Swiss excavator Menzi Muck (http://www.menzimuck.com/index-en.html)....

Willy,

No it was more of a spider. Most of the line was on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property which did not allow a road - this is why it was anticipated to be constructed by hand. Because the spider left very little evidence that it was even there the BLM let the contractor go with it. By the way, the spider was only used to dig the holes, a helicopter set the poles and then they were backfilled by hand.

You're right about the operator. This guy had a huge ego! Since he was the only one that could operate it he had the foreman bring him his lunch everyday. If he got bothered by one of the groundsmen he would just stop and pout. The project revolved around his moods!:rolleyes:

Hmmm... Willy, this project was more than 20 years ago and the name Menzi Muck does sound familiar. Did they make a spider type backhoe similar to the one I posted?

Willy
01-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Mike, the Menzi Muck demo I saw was about ten years ago and I do remember the salesman saying that any customer required configuration could be built...within reason of course.

Another machine I've seen is the Kaiser S2 Spyder (http://www.kaiser.li/en/international/excavators/products/kaiser-s2/s2/).
Along the same concept as the Menzi Muck. Both of these machines are ideally suited for up to 70 degree slopes and are available in a multitude of configurations to suit just about any application.

Of course if you want to get into a really freaky looking unit look no further than the John Deere concept vehicle, the walking tractor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA&feature=related).

/

Doozer
01-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I posted a link of the video that EVguru had posted on the Pirate 4x4 message board. I thought they would find it interesting. Wrong. They apparently did not like it or it struck a nerve or something, and they banned my membership from their site. I believe it was such a good design that it intimidated them and challenged the status quot of what they are used to building. They actually banned me for posting a link to the youtube video. Bunch of window licking retards.

--Doozer

Willy
01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Doozer, if they banned you from the site for posting a link for a different concept in suspension technology consider it a blessing.

rotate
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I posted a link of the video that EVguru had posted on the Pirate 4x4 message board. I thought they would find it interesting. Wrong. They apparently did not like it or it struck a nerve or something, and they banned my membership from their site. I believe it was such a good design that it intimidated them and challenged the status quot of what they are used to building. They actually banned me for posting a link to the youtube video. Bunch of window licking retards.

--Doozer

Wow, the stupidity of mankind never ceases to amaze me, even with a crowd that consider themselves clever and knowledgeable.

kendall
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Main problem I see is if he gets good and stuck there isn't anybody that can come to get him out.

My stated goal when I was really heavy into offroading was that I wanted to build the -second- best rig.
Used to get stupid looks every time I said that, but I figure if you go offroading you ARE going to get stuck, and the bigger the truck, the harder the stuck.
So I wanted at least one truck that was able to get me out.

Ken

Doc Nickel
01-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I posted a link of the video that EVguru had posted on the Pirate 4x4 message board. I thought they would find it interesting. Wrong. They apparently did not like it or it struck a nerve or something, and they banned my membership from their site.

-I've been a Pirate member since early 2001, and something tells me we're not getting the whole story here. :D

Doc.

Doozer
01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Here is a copy of my post and below it is a link to the
whole thread on Pirate 4x4.
I did not think I was posting anything
to offend anybody. It was only my second post.
I dunno. Not going to loose any sleep over it I guess.

Most extreme flexing Buggy (that I've seen).
YouTube - Chainlink extreme 4x4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7QrR4Ur8&NR=1&feature=fvwp)

Check out the above link.
I thought you gents would like to see it.
Please forgive me if it is old news around here,
but when I saw this thing I was seriously impressed.
I think it sets a new standard for flex.
Enjoy!

--Doozer

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853904

dave5605
01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
My guess is what they didn't like is a new guy (2 posts) coming there and posting a video that has been posted too many times already about a buggy that was built in 2003. There are a series of entries on that site about that buggy dating back to 2003.

By and large they have no tolerance for certain stuff and don't mind a bit telling you in no uncertain terms using four letter words. If you don't search ahead of time (for obvious stuff) they will absolutely burn you.

I would say that that site has the most hardcore (and also average) offroaders anywhere and their collective knowledge astounds me. They have some very nice hardcore tech articles too.

When I was in to offroading with my son it was our go to site. All we had to do is tread lightly. I still use it to my advantage several times a year. IMHO it has more good offroading tech info than the other offroad sites combined.

There is a machinist site that is sort of that way (not much tolerance). I tread lightly at that site also.

Doc Nickel
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
When I was in to offroading with my son it was our go to site. All we had to do is tread lightly. I still use it to my advantage several times a year.

-That's why my post count is so relatively low despite being one of the oldest members there (4-digit member number- they're in the 50K range now.)

I'm there to read and learn, not to try and prove to somebody how smart I am. There's some fantastically talented guys in there- you think your stainless and brass miniature engine is cool? Try making an entire truck frame out of tubing. :D

Doc.

BadDog
01-16-2010, 12:54 AM
-That's why my post count is so relatively low despite being one of the oldest members there (4-digit member number- they're in the 50K range now.)
Doc.
You too? Been there since 2000 or so, though I don't visit much any more.

Back then, the place had a bunch of guys who really new their stuff. But it was "positioned" as "Post Graduate Studies in Rock Crawling", and they had no tolerance for holding the hand of those who wondered in without a clue and no desire to do for themselves *first* (search, research, think). They developed quite a reputation, but even a "1 post" newbie was treated decently if you did your homework first and didn't come off as clueless, expecting someone to hold your hand while you figure out which commercial lift kit you need to fit 35" tires. Then with increased popularity came the juvenile lackies who thought the "smack downs" were just for fun, and low post count equals newbie. That combined with the owner's (Lance) desire to grow the site, and it became something of Romper Room for undisciplined over compensating twits. Then there was some effort to reign it in and become somewhat respectable, though in my opinion it never really made much headway except to stop the worst of it. <sigh> Still a great resource, just be ready for play-ground pissing matches so that you can hold your own...

Doc Nickel
01-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Back in the day, it was the place for anyone wanting to modify a 4x4. But like all popular places, eventually the inmates took over the asylum, and now instead of a large but fairly select group of enthusiasts, you have everybody and their brother's ugly neighbor hanging out- whether or not they even own a truck or Jeep- just to be with the rest of us cool kids.

It happens, we move on.

But that said, if you're patient, you'll still run across some truly amazing work- including occasional non-4x4 stuff like this guy who's making his own CNC press brake (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840111), including making his own cylinders.

So as long as you don't get tied up in the 'drama' of the site, it's still a great resource.

Doc.

Ian B
01-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Doc,

Thanks for posting the link to the building of the CNC press brake. I like his 3 jaw with the adjustable stops - makes you wonder why all 3 jaw chucks don't have tee slots machined in the face.

Ian

lazlo
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
How does the articulation work? It looks like it's driven by hydraulic rams, but how would that be controlled? Is it manual, like a lowrider?

If the articulation is managed by a control system, color me impressed! You'd have to do something like measuring and equalizing the pressure on the four hydraulic rams. That's a hell of a complicated control problem.

Doozer
01-16-2010, 11:26 AM
That chuck looks like a 4 jaw.
I agree, the workstop jaws look like a good idea.
Will have to make a note of that.
And he is using an HBM to machine the plate.
Before I die, I want to own one of those machines.

As to controlling the articulated jeep vehicle,
I was thinking a caged ball type of tilt sensor
could be coupled to a PLC. That would control
the hydraulic rams and maintaining level could
be automatic. Sound good??

--Doozer

lazlo
01-16-2010, 12:52 PM
As to controlling the articulated jeep vehicle, I was thinking a caged ball type of tilt sensor could be coupled to a PLC. That would control
the hydraulic rams and maintaining level could be automatic. Sound good??

I thought about level, but that doesn't really work either -- as you're climbing you want to be tilted up, tilted down as you're descending. But level left-right seems pretty straightforward.

I'm really curious how it works. Unless he's a linear systems expert, I'd be willing to bet he's got manual actuation of the rams, with something like a joystick.

Doozer
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, but just think about it.
Level going up hill, level going down hill.
Like a ski lift or tram car.
I know it is not the ordinary, but I think
one could get used to it fairly easy.

Do a prototype using one of those
chico low rider cars. Then find some
steep roads.

--Doozer

BadDog
01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
That seems cool from an engineering point of view, but it, like Chainlink, the Sniper (or was that the Scorpion with mechanical ballance links?), and several other similar rigs were easily eclipsed in capability (to get through obstacles) by the more conventional rigs of the day. And about that time, what was called the ultra-lite "moon buggies" began to dominate. They ran circles around over-weight over-complex breakdown prone rigs like this.

Doc Nickel
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I like his 3 jaw with the adjustable stops - makes you wonder why all 3 jaw chucks don't have tee slots machined in the face.

-Like Doozer noted, it's a 4-jaw. And the extra T-slots are nothing new there, here's a photo of a 1915-ish Lodge & Shipley off in the woods near me:

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/ls04.jpg

Though the idea is that the chuck can be both a 4-jaw or a faceplate. In the case of the guy making the rams, it took me a second to realize why they went that route (instead of, say, reversing the jaws.)

But you're right, that kind of thing could definitely be handy on a 3-jaw, maybe just some small T-slots just for holding the stops.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, you could do about the same thing with a couple of simple drilled and tapped holes if you put the slot on the stop, and that's something that ought to be able to be fitted to about any decent 3-jaw scroll chuck...

Doc.

lazlo
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Level going up hill, level going down hill.
Like a ski lift or tram car.

But the video shows the vehicle is tilted backward when he's going uphill, and tilted forward when he's going downhill. Then there's that weird (useless) stunt he did where he rolled the right wheels up the rock wall while the left wheels were level on the road.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside?