PDA

View Full Version : Holding milling

im#2
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Ok how would one of you with more experience hold a thumbnail sized peice of a1 steel so i can mill it? I am making my own trigger for an old 95 mauser. The book im using is Guy Lutaurd third bedside reader and they didnt get into holding the blamed tiny peices. the stickler is not using an attaching screw larger than the pivot pin which will be 1/8 in to hold it down.

Blueskys
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Your stock is what? Rectangular?
How much wider, longer and thicker of stock do you have to work with?

im#2
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Ok-I have pics but have never done that here--any hints?

im#2
01-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Im mulling Geo.s post but right off I have vista so i will get this figured out and post pics!

im#2
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I am having trouble getting the pics transfered. Size wise the material is A1 1"x 1/4" and i have plenty to work with but i was trying to keep from working over the side of the milling vice. I can see the mole hill I was creating now--thanks for the very civil answer!

Your Old Dog
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
That's not a lot of metal. You have any more? I would use the same 1" square sized but cut it from the end of a 3" instead of a 1/4" piece. When you get the rough shape of the triggor made then cut it off with a hacksaw and finish off with files.

Posting pics requires you to join a web picture hosting site such as PhotoBucket.com or WebShots.com. You post the pictures there and then copy off the URL and post the URL into your post here. The top Sticky on this forum is how to post pics and well written.

darryl
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Posting pics is pretty easy and far less frustrating if you use Glacerns services- see link at the top of this page you're on. Go to resources, free photo upload, browse to your photo, submit- then copy the link that displays once the photo is fully sent.

Then come here, start a new post, click on the yellow envelope just under the sm in smilies, then paste where it says 'enter the url of your image'. Hit ok. Add your text, submit reply, and there you are.

The rules are simple- make it a jpg, keep the file size under 200k- the rest you can learn from Glacerns site under free photo upload.