PDA

View Full Version : There go our jobs!

terry_g
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I just took this photo out my hotel room window in Prince Rupert. I come here for work a few times a year. It's almost a ghost town Prince Rupert used to be a booming town with fishing and logging and a world class port. Yesterday I watched a huge ship loaded with logs heading out to sea. There used to be sawmills and pulp mills here that paid a decent wage that Processed those logs. Not any more. Two more ships are in the harbour waiting to load, probably more logs.

Terry

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4270551772_acc973f94c_o.jpg

MTNGUN
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I wonder if they are going to Japan or to other mills along your coast ?

Same here, lots of wood is chipped and barged down the Snake River to high paying jobs in other states or countries. The majority of our mills have closed.

The loggers still employed are grateful that they have jobs, even if the wood is processed somewhere else. But you are right, we have become an exporter of raw materials and an importer of manufactured goods, like a 3rd world country.

Pretty picture, by the way. Looks like typical PNW winter weather.

parrisw
01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
It completely makes me sick to see that, yes the logs are going offshore. More raw logs get exported then what stays here, and the higher quality logs go out and we get stuck with the crap logs. Total waste, allot of people have lost their jobs cause of that and still are, the government totally chit the bed on the logging industry around here.

darryl
01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Didn't we send people to those other countries to train people to run the new mills there that we gave them on credit-

Yeah, it started way back. Our best logs are sent away to be processed now. Much of that goes south (I'm in BC) and comes back milled- something that we could do here to supply our own needs and keep our own people working- and much of it goes overseas. I don't pretend to understand it all, but it sure seems fishy- Oh, wait- that's our other dying industry-

parrisw
01-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Didn't we send people to those other countries to train people to run the new mills there that we gave them on credit-

Yeah, it started way back. Our best logs are sent away to be processed now. Much of that goes south (I'm in BC) and comes back milled- something that we could do here to supply our own needs and keep our own people working- and much of it goes overseas. I don't pretend to understand it all, but it sure seems fishy- Oh, wait- that's our other dying industry-

Yup. I'm in BC too. It sucks.

JoeFin
01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I remember when "Earth First" only wanted the Federal Export Laws upheld and export duties applied to logs.

The "Loop Hole" was some loggers were de-barking the logs and calling it "Processed Lumber"

lakeside53
01-12-2010, 10:07 PM
A ship leaving is one way to look at it...

Another is watching the endless parade of container ships from China unloading at the dock... Inside those containers - that's also someones job ... But.. we can solve that one - quit buying the stuff...

boslab
01-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Interesting, there are plans just approved to build the worlds biggest timber fired power plant at port talbot works, within the steelplant close to the deep water harbour which can take ships of just about any size, i think its about 200,000 tons but i know the ore carriers from Canada ans south America are around 100,000 dwt.
Movie director Ridley Scott quotes the sight of Port Talbot Steelworks at night to be his inspiration for the dark, gigantic buildings in films like Blade Runner. Top Gear have used the Port Talbot steelworks to film, a number of times. Director Terry Gilliam has cited the Port Talbot Steelworks as as a major initial influence in developing the movie Brazil (movie).
theyve already built the pilot plant and it seems the infrastructure for unloading these timber carriers is in place

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7105124.stm
mark

lakeside53
01-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Hmmm.. a "Post-Copenhagen" "world's biggest timber fired plant..". Way to go Canada:D

Circlip
01-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Different materials, but same slant.

We recently had a "Problem" with chicken parts imported from Europe but the same parts were being Exported to the same country from Britain by the same factory chain??

We call it sending coals to Newcastle. In its heyday probably like exporting cars to Detroit.

Regards Ian.

Evan
01-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Exporting raw logs is a provincial government jurisdiction issue. Talk to your MLA and let him or her know who you won't be voting for next election.

As for the actual logs being exported they now include aspen, birch and poplar that are being sent to to Japan and China to make chopsticks. They used to make the chopsticks in Prince George but that plant has closed for reasons of poor management. The Mitsubishi owned factory in Fort Nelson is still operating and is the largest chopstick factory in the world.

Aspen in particular is junk wood. It's considered a weed. It makes great chopsticks but not every tree is suitable. Only about 20 percent of trees are good enough in grain and colour to be acceptable. By exporting the logs instead of the chopsticks more money can be made since the log buyers have to buy the crap wood along with the good logs.

MrSleepy
01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Doh!!!!!!!!

UK... AN island floating on a sea of coal....and now we are importing wood to burn...

What happened to all the coal burning tech we were developing in the 70's and 80's....was it sacrificed by milk snatcher (Maggie T to those of a certain age) for political ideology..

Rob