PDA

View Full Version : New Forum for Stickies: Paging George

Paul Alciatore
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I was reading a recent thread and an idea hit me. We have questions that are asked over and over. Sometimes this is because the previous answers are not sufficient and sometimes the person just could not find them in the vast store of knowledge here.

George has added several new forums here and I think another one might be in order; one for common questions that have been answered over and over. But it would be only for that kind of thread. I would suggest that it be set up so that only the moderator could put a thread in it but all could add to the thread after it is there. So a candidate thread could be brought to the attention of the moderator and he would move it there if it appeared to rate "sticky" status.

I would also suggest that when a thread is moved there that the subjuct line be reviewed and changed to make searches easier in some cases.

This would make searching for such threads easier and would, in effect, constitute an online book of shop knowledge.

What say yea, one and all?

lazlo
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I've suggested a sticky FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) many times over the years. The general consensus is that it's a good idea, but George has always been silent on the topic.

I think a big part of the problem is that people will argue endlessly over the answers, but that's what Internet Forums are for :)

Your Old Dog
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
. .................The general consensus is that it's a good idea, but George has always been silent on the topic.

My guess is he knows how people tend to glass over stickys. We only have one right now but how many times does someone ask how to post pictures? :D I don't fault them, I'm the same way. What I enjoy about this board is it's near total lack of sub-forums. I don't frequent boards with 50 sub-forums for everything under the sun. I think they are done just to make the adminstrators feel like they are running a Titan of a board !! If you are a patron of the board it's very easy to miss an interesting thread because you didn't click on all 50 sub-forums. I'm interested in all things maching even welding, spinning, paint, heat treat, materials....... all of these could be seperate forums.

gfphoto
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
That sounds good.

I've found this (http://www.armurerieduroi.com/pages/lathe_index.html) sort of arrangement very helpful.

So as not to make work for mods maybe various members could volunteer to edit out the unnecessary material, as has been done in the link above--without deciding what was correct. If the edited version was the "sticky" the original complete thread would still exist for reference.

Gary

lazlo
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
My guess is he knows how people tend to glass over stickys. We only have one right now but how many times does someone ask how to post pictures? :D

That's a very good point YOD.

I've been thinking of collecting a set of non-controversial FAQ questions on a Wiki on my web page, so members here can log in and edit the answers. I'll see if I can throw something together today.

George Bulliss
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
The FAQ idea is a good one and is one I have given thought to in the past. My inactivity on the idea has more to do with forgetting than any reluctance to set it up.

At this time, I do not want to create any more forums on the board, but I think the Third Hand forum would be a good candidate for a FAQ sticky. Many people may not see it there, but it would be easy enough to direct someone to it when they ask a question in the General forum.

I have made a note to do something about it when I get back from PA. Right now Iím busy dealing with the trip and the magazines. Somewhere in PA is a large pallet full of books that is surprisingly hard to findÖ

Iím not sure exactly how I will set things up, but I know I wonít have the time to dig for the content. Perhaps Iíll open a thread where members can alert me to a candidate and I can then move it to the locked sticky.

This is a busy time for me so give a holler in a few weeks, just in case the note gets buried.

George

John Stevenson
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I reckon the knurling one ought to be top followed by the co-ax one.

Tiffipedea links to be banned.

ptjw7uk
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I'll second YOD's dislike of sub forums - so difficult to keep up to date with.

Hard to find things are usually found by the search mathod or the post the same question and get the link to the previouse answers method!

Peter

Fasttrack
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I am actually on the other side of the fence on this topic. I don't mind reading the same questions over and over again. I'm just now getting to a point where I can feel pretty confident in passing on the answers I got when I posted the same questions a few years ago!

I think the greatest downfall of PM is that there are too many forums. I only frequent one forum and often miss good threads because I can't be bothered to wait for the different forums (they are pretty slow, afterall). I never frequent any of the other forums on this board - which is my fault - but I like the convieniance of having it all in one place, so to speak.

<edit> Yes - ditto what Peter said! :)