PDA

View Full Version : Maximat V10

willjordan
02-22-2002, 02:27 PM
I finally got my Maximat V10 mounted on the workbench and made my first chips last night, putting a couple of reference faces on a base for a model duplex pump.

Here's a picture of the newly installed tool: http://www.trainweb.org/willsrr/lathe.jpg

More pictures can be found on my website at http://www.trainweb.org/willsrr/lathe.html

I'm still a rookie at all of this, I decided to make a few chips right away, rather than to wait for all of the truing, tramming, etc. Things bumped a bit as the selected end mill holder/end mill had some runout and the two flute mill thumped a bit while working the in the brass.

But chips is chips.

And a freshly milled brass surface can be shiny.

------------------
grace & peace
will

willjordan
02-22-2002, 02:47 PM
In September, I purchased the Maximat V10 in the previous post (for $1000, including tooling.) It's taken this long to clear a spot to build the bench, build the bench, locate the bench and install the lathe.

I also should note that wednesday night I unpacked much of the tooling that came with the lathe (my wife packed all of the loose drawer contents so some of it was new to me.)

For chucks and such, I have the 5" 3jaw from the mandufacturer with both sets of jaws, a 6" 3jaw of unknown manufacturer, and a 4" 4jaw on a 4MT. The factory facleplate is also there.

I also have a plate with a threaded spigot to match my spindle, to allow mounting a chuck on a milling table or rotary table.

I have a Jacobs #14 Superchuck on a 4MT,
On 2mt I have a Jacobs 28, Jacobs 3a, and an Almond Co. 40-39

There are various boring bars, tool bits, including indexible carbide with a good supply of inserts, and some mt adaptors (There are a lot of 1mt drils and reamers, I found 3 1mt-2mt adapters to fit the 2mt milling spindle)

A nine drawer wooden cabinet contained more tooling including drill bits, reamers and several unknown items.

Among the oddities are the toolpost grinder (http://www.trainweb.org/willsrr/tpgrinder.jpg) and thetailstock turret (http://www.trainweb.org/willsrr/turret.jpg)

I know that I'll have lots of questions. I plan to get a manual and parts list from Tony at lathes.uk.

Comments will be appreciated.

------------------
grace & peace
will

[This message has been edited by willjordan (edited 02-22-2002).]

JCHannum
02-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Where do you buy your masks?

Seriously, it looks like you made out very well on that transaction. Further proof that you don't have to settle for second rate equipment.

I don't think that I could have waited since Sept. to get it working though.

Best of luck to you, a whole new world is about to open up.

willjordan
02-22-2002, 06:17 PM
We moved from British Columbia to Napa, California in August. When I mentioned that I first had to find a place to build the bench, I wasn't kidding.

The list of things that I have to do on the house is large, we have lives other than the shop, and work sometimes can be exhausting.

I had to design the bench, find materials, and build it. It's set up so that I have to move, the benchtop becomes the skid for the machine.

And in the winter -- even in California -- paint takes longer to dry.

I'll keep folks posted on the things that I will be doing.

BTW: there were some workhoding fixtures that I have no idea what they were for, including some fixtures on 4mt. Well, maybe I have an idea what they cold hold, but why?

------------------
grace & peace
will

Thrud
02-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Will
My Maximat 7 looks just like that, except I have the short bead and no gearbox. My lead screw has been modified with a double row ball bearing retainer at the end (near the lead screw wheel) to eliminate slop while threading. Mine is also one of the really old blue ones with flatbed. My power buttons have finger grooves in the buttons from use!

The tool post grinder looks like it is a "Dunmore" - pretty good grinder. You should only use drawbar equipt MT#2 tools in the milling head to keep the tools from loosening or pulling out under power.

You may also want to make yourself a milling table attachment to bolt to the cross slide. It makes using a rotary table or indexing head much easier. I made mine from 1" 6061-T6 Plate - I drilled & tapped holes to accept steel inserts from the bottom. There is no way clamping bolts can pull through. This allows me to use a 5/16" mill clamp kit with step blocks for easier set ups.

Have fun! (nice macine!)

Dave