PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Cutter/Mill

jfsmith
10-21-2003, 09:43 PM
I was think ing building a horizontal cutter/mill and have much of the pieces/parts, but I was wondering if anyone has any designs to buiold this. It not something for a large operating and I plan on using wheel with 1 inch diamters holes. Up to three wheels, maybe. Anyone one have any clever designs or ideas?

Jerry

uute
10-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Hi Jerry,

I have seen 3 or 4 designs for such mills.

The Gingery mill is one of the most well known (design in book by Dave Gingery if you can get his books in your area). His design uses many aluminium castings, but could be built up fron steel shapes.

I have a design from Popular Mechanics that sets the shaft and other parts in a cement block for the frame! An interesting Idea.

Seems the others required iron castings, but might be adapted to built up construction.

Benjamin Fleming has books out for vertical mill of all built-up costruction. You might look at his table design.

hope this helps

uute

shaque
10-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Take a look at the one George Ewen built out of an engine block. I've seen it first hand and I can tell you it is rigid and probably not to hard to build, plus you have the guy on this BBS that built it and I also know how helpful he is.
Hopr this helps. Let us know how you make out.
Jim http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif