PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever photos one more time...

gfphoto
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Here are the Cabin Fever photos (http://www.gfphoto.com/cabinfever/) I had the problem with this morning--website hacked by crazy people. Sorry for the confusion.

Gary

johnnyd
01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I can't begin to express my appreciation for the pictures.....many thanks.

"Make Swarf & Prosper"...John

Michael Edwards
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Gary for the pile of nice pics. Wish I could have been there.

ME

Pherdie
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Gary, for posting some great photos of some incredible craftsmanship and innovation. After looking at some of that workmanship and detail, I think I need to go bury some of my projects in the yard...... :D

Fred

seanol
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
JohnnyD said what I was going to say.

A heartfelt thank you,

Sean

dp
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
I wrote a quick index page to make viewing a bit easier. If you use tabbed browsing, open an image by clicking the link - the picture will be in a new tab. Then drag the tab to the desktop - it will be reused by subsequent clicks. You'll have to make room for two browsers so you can both click and view.

If you don't drag the tab to the desktop the images will continue using the orignal tab - doesn't save many clicks, though. Untabbed browsers should just see a new window open up with the images presented there instead of where the listing is.

http://metalworkingathome.com/cabinfever/

The images are still on the OP's original site - this was just an easier way for me to see them without hitting the "back" button.

gwilson
01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
The big black locomotive to thr right in the first pic was sold for $5000,00 IIRC. A beautiful large green,brand new(almost) went for $6000.00

Orrin
01-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Here are the Cabin Fever photos I had the problem with this morning--website hacked by crazy people. Sorry for the confusion.

Gary

Gary, those pictures are fantastic! You shot with available light, yet the white balance is perfect and there's no noticeable noise in the shadows.

What camera were you using? Any other details that might help us photog wannabes?

Best regards,

Orrin

gfphoto
01-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Gosh, thank you all! I was thinking maybe I shouldn't post them because it might be too off topic and who would care...

The vendors were good too. Lots of interesting stuff. I got an 18" height gauge that I'd been wanting for awhile and some bits and pieces.

The camera is a Nikon D90. I was shooting at 1600 ASA (sorry, ISO) with white balance on auto and Program mode. Also medium file size. I don't normally set it for point and shoot but unavoidably got there late so had to rush. The shots are all batch reduced quite a bit and slightly color and contrast adjusted in Photoshop--no time to manual adjust, again, the Auto setting--and slightly sharpened. The soft indirect lighting helps a lot.

Anyway, I'm really glad they're appreciated. As far as I'm concerned the best thing is talking to the builders and learning stuff. "Humbling" really doesn't do it justice--at least in my case.

Gary

Your Old Dog
01-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the great pics! Maybe next year, I'd sure like to make one of the shows and see it all in person.

whitis
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Glad someone got some pics. I was just there on sunday and was about to make my photography run when disaster struck. No, the 26000 gallon model boat pond didn't spring a leak but something knocked out power to a good chunk of the city and it stayed out for an hour or so. Emergency lights only - enough so you didn't fall flat on your face but that is about it. Credit card machines went down, vendors and exhibitors started packing up...

I was tempted by that capco 6x18 surface grinder for $500. Liked the add on caster base which made it easy to move around and the base casting looked solid enough that being on casters wouldn't be a liability. But it probably weighed something like 1200lbs??? and it would not have been fun trying to disassemble and load the heavy pieces in my minivan (didn't take the trailer) in the rain and the drive shafts would have prevented laying it over on its back. And my back was already a bit dicey that day, anyway. If I had brought the trailer, could have loaded it in no time.
http://www.gfphoto.com/cabinfever/s-DSC_0168.jpg

I ended up using a more modest anchor on my voyage home. A box of cement. Otherwise known as a Kerr 999 furnace. Bigger brother of the model 666.

PTSideshow
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Great stuff!