PDA

View Full Version : new project coyote rifle

bulldog21
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
im plannin on building a new coyote rifle i want to start with a dehaas style single shot my question is should i go with the chicopee style or a vault lock and which caliber's would these rifle's hold up too ??

chriskat
01-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I'd vote Vault Lock. I'm building one now, which you may have seen, although slowly.

I think that the Chickopee is designed primarily for .22 rimfire although it will take low pressure centerfire rounds. The Vault Locks will take, quoting from the "Mr. Single Shots Book of Rifle Plans", "all of the standard American rimmed and rimless centerfire cartridges from the .22 Hornet on up to the .30-40, and from the .221 Fireball to any standard cartridge of the .30-06 head size."

Jeff

J. Randall
01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Jeff, I think there was a build over on www.homegunsmith.com in the projects forum called Chickopee on steroids. There have been some problems there, and I think it is slowly dying, but there is a lot of info there. Some parts are pay only though.
James

daveo
01-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I noticed that forum was kind of slowing down, What gives?

Ken_Shea
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
deleted with apologies, irrelevant to the original post.

ulav8r
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
There are 2 Chicopee actions, one for rimfires only, the other for centerfires up to 30-30 case size. Neither the Chicopee or the Vault Lock will make an elegant or graceful looking rifle. For that you need a falling block rifle, of which there are many designs that can be copied or used for inspiration for your own design.

JCHannum
01-21-2010, 08:54 AM
For a home shop project, either the centerfire Chicopee or the Vaultlock will make a good, servicable gun for your purposes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I doubt a coyote will complain any more or less depending on the relative elegance of the weapon with which he is dispatched.

The selection will depend on the facilities available. The Vaultlock is a much stronger action, the Chicopee is more traditional in appearance.

There is a certain satisfaction to be had in using a gun that you have made totally by your own efforts. I have yet to make an action, a CF Chicopee is on my list, but things have a way of getting ahead of it.

Al Messer
01-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Start with a good Mauser bolt action if you are looking for a super accurate Coyote rifle. Add a barrel from a reliable barrelsmith and you are well on your way.

Kibby
01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Jeff, I think there was a build over on www.homegunsmith.com in the projects forum called Chickopee on steroids. There have been some problems there, and I think it is slowly dying, but there is a lot of info there. Some parts are pay only though.
James

I'm a subscriber over there, and yes I think its dying a slow death. Not enough interest I think. It'd be great for this site to absorb [U]that/U] site.

OP: I'll cast my vote for a coyote rifle in .204 Ruger! :D