PDA

View Full Version : Till DEATH do us PART!

lotsa luck
10-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Was parting a peice of 2" od cold rolled steel (knothing fancy) today and everything was going wonderfull until...

With about 1" dia to go (and only planning on another .25", then sawing) the tool caught for unknown reasons. Holy %$#@ batman! I've had parting tool catches before, but not like this one. Six ponies pulling at 100 rpm does not give much warning. The 2" blade went one way, and the insert went another. End result is one parting blade that is now only 2/3rds its former self and a sub-miniture skylite in my garage. Carbide and some of the blade made it all the way through the sheetrock, plywood and roofing. Glad my forehead wasn't in the line of travel. I'm thinking the saw-zall is a wee bit safer for future parting.
Stay Safe!

BC21OSH
10-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Wow, that sounds scary - skylights huh?

That does bring up a good question though. How many out there have a scatter shield on their lathe. It is a requirement in the industrial shops that I work around. They can be kinda of a PITA, however in a case like this they might make the difference between just a broken tool and having a really bad day. Of course I wouldn't think you would need one on a 10" lathe, but get a couple horses doing some serious cutting and it is a different matter.

Just food for thought.

Bernard

lotsa luck
10-19-2003, 10:55 PM
I HAVE ONE!
Mine is made of 3/16" lexan but was not in use at the time as it is difficult to work under and tell what is going on at the time. I can sure understand the need for one though!

Evan
10-19-2003, 11:34 PM
I know the feeling. I was working on the lathe this afternoon and had this nagging slight feeling around my head. I reached up to brush it away and discovered it was my safety googles. My forehead was well protected. Good thing I wear glasses.

chkz
10-20-2003, 12:43 AM
must be old age kickin' in and that stellar "youthful invulnerability" wearing off but you do HAVE TO wear safety glasses...minimum! I've even been thinking of a shield for my 12" lathe....too many close calls over the years and only one finger (reattached & functional fortunately...after a large (36") crescent wrench "slipped" shearing it between the handle and the flats of a hydraulic fitting!!! Who would have thought that???).....its made me pretty wary...caught more than one piece of metal in the chest (spun off the drill press table "awww...its just one quick hole, won't bother clamping")...more than one jolt or two while coiling up welding cables as well (one at a time boys, one at a time!!!)...don't want you to think I'm accident prone, I work with this stuff everyday, for a living...(Millwright)and have done for years...but just want to remind everyone to err on the side of caution and BE SAFE !!!!!!!

Chris

ibewgypsie
10-20-2003, 02:46 AM
Get up there with the caulk gun and the silicone, seal that leak.. Works for bullet holes too.. (don't ask)

You know it is right over the machine and will make it rust..

Cass
10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
I have a habit of standing out of the plane of rotation of lathes when ever possible. I was particularly impressed by a 2000 lb., 70 inch diameter disk going about 1000 rpm. Of course the spray of coolant going out radially generally helps remind you to stand to the side. That probably saves a lot of people from injury.

darryl
10-20-2003, 05:38 PM
That incident reminds me of high school wood class, where one of the students was turning a spindle. He got it so thin in the middle that it broke, and went through the ceiling in two pieces. The ceiling tile with the two gaps in it was left there for the year, and was used to promote safety.
Cass, that 70 in disc with coolant flying out from it sounds a bit like a tesla turbine- that gives me an idea, that would maybe make an ideal coolant pump (on a smaller scale obviously). Hmm, I see another project coming up.

wierdscience
10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Scatter shield yes!Iput one on the first time I spun inserts on the lathe at work,the reason-those chips that come off a Kennametal kc-850 insert that turn blue in mid air-yup,one stuck right to my lip http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

You know come to think of it I haven't installed one on our big lathe yet,got to though.

wierdscience
10-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Oh forgot to mention,I use a piece of tempered saftey glass on the work side and a piece of 1/4"lexan on the eye side,the tempered lasts much longer than the lexan(no scratching,hazing and such)

Rich Carlstedt
10-20-2003, 11:50 PM
I can tell you guys don't throw hot chips around !
If you did, a lexan/Plexi shield would be the first thing you put on a lathe!

I have one on each of my lathes.
Get yourself a door hinge and screw 1/2 of it to the back of the headstock. the other 1/2 is mounted to the shield, and you can EASILY pull the pin ! if it gets in the way of a chuck change.
I tried making my first one rounded (cylindrical)like the commercial units....terrible idea..because
No matter what angle you look at, ceiling light reflects back at you.
What I found was that the top should angle towards you about 10 to 15 degrees till past the chuck. then break downward at about 45 degrees(from Horz.), then a 90 degree (from Horz.)The 90 front side, should have the right hand corner with a 3" chamfer,as you look at it.
This way, when the carriage comes in from the right, and the guard is in the way, the tool post or crosslide will lift up the shield enough to slide under.

Warning..no cheap plastic should be used !
It will shatter.. get a good Polycabonate

Thrud
10-23-2003, 04:31 AM
I have a german drafting machine light arm that is scheduled for a sheild. I need to mount an outboard...board to mount it. Maybe I make one out of steel. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Yes Rich, when the chips turn blue two seconds after hitting the floor - you are in the "groove"! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif (yeah!!)