PDA

View Full Version : GunVault MV500 Mounting Question-Need Opinion

MarshSt
01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a new GunVault MV 500 that I plan to locate in a handy location in my home. It does not have mounting holes but does have a security cable to attach it to something solid. I am trying to decide if I should drill some mounting holes and securely mount it to the floor or use the cable to attach it to an eye bolt in the floor. My question is...Would it be safer to have it rigidly mounted or attached by the cable? Rigid mounting might make it easier to pry open since the floor could be used as leverage. Securing by the cable might make it harder to pry open since it would flop around but then it could be "snatched" free using the slack in the cable. Any opinions or history with this?
Thanks,
Steve

Toolguy
01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
You're probably better off bolting it to the floor inside the safe. A cable or eyebolt can be cut easily enough. If there is access to the bottom of the floor,
as in a basement underneath, you might want to bolt up from the bottom with nylock nuts inside the safe so the bolts just turn free if they are wrenched on from underneath. The bottom line is, if someone want it badly enough, they will figure out a way.

Jim Shaper
01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't bolt it to the floor.

Where (roughly) are you thinking of putting it? Without knowing the parameters for the location, it's hard to say what a good solution is.

Personally, I would find it being attached to the floor would make it difficult to reach quickly in the event I needed it.

Stashing it somewhere would make more sense.

Also, having looked at that version, I personally wouldn't use it for a quick access weapon anyway. The access to the gun is cumbersome at best assuming it's on a level surface.

I like the ones where the end opens up much better - because that way you can mount a holster inside it and draw the gun as soon as you open the door without snagging it on the box in the process.