PDA

View Full Version : Harrison M300

QSIMDO
01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Were these decent lathes when new?
I know of a 13x25 that might need a new home.
Parts availability?

oil mac
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Len,
These are good little lathes when new, Not heavily built like a Dean Smith or a Monarch etc, but by todays standards nicely made, I would class them as a light production lathe,with a good range of feed &screwcutting facilities, Depending on the condition of the one you are after, will depend how much you want to spend on her, I am not sure of the spare situation, But i would imagine Harrison lathes are still on the go.

nheng
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I have that size M300 and it is a great machine. Inch and metric threads are a breeze and it has a wide range of feeds and spindle speeds.

Harrison still sells the M300 although that model is now built in China specifically for them. You can also find the M300 in sheeps clothing at Clausing Industrial as it is also their 13" offering, albeit in different colors. It's possible that many of the parts will interchange although one would need to verify that. The newer M300 had a facelift that took the step out of the control panel. That changed various parts related to those functions.

It is well made, smooth in operation and easy to maintain. REM Machinery was the source of parts and service for years but no longer handles Harrison. Not sure who their rep is here.

It would be a good idea to run the machine as the "Super Gamet" spindle bearings, very fine indeed, are also very expensive if you need them.

G and M machinery in the UK has had machines, parts and accessories on and off. http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/index.php

Den

PeteM
01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
If in good condition, it's a great home shop lathe IMO. A plus would be the combination US/metric dials if it has them.

nheng
01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Here's the Yahoo Harrison group. There is a lot of good information available there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/harrisonlathe/

Is this a green or tan machine or the later white, dark red and black?