X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black_Moons
    • Aug 2009

Camlocks.

Heh, Took one of my camlocks outta my D1-4 spindle nose today.. it was all stiff to turn... could'nt figure out why untill I removed it.

Managed to remove it with a crowbar inside the spindle, with a large wad of paper towls behind the crowbar to prevent maring the inside of the spindle, and a small bolt to make up the space beween the crowbar and camlock, as I rotated the camlock gentaly from the accessable side.

The pin thats supposed to keep it in (sorta springloaded) has the sides milled down so its rectangular at the bottom.. well, it had been inserted 90 degrees and the bolt down on it was causing it to drag and mar the hell out of the the camlock groove insted of riding inside it.. making it hard to turn and very hard to remove the camlock as the burr would then go into the bore for the camlock -_-;

Ontop of this I found the camlocks on my 4 jaw chuck had big nicks in them, I presume from that day early on when I got the lathe and the chuck came loose while spining.. they filed off with a standard file very easily, so at least I know the chuck camlocks don't need to be hardened steel, if I ever decide to make my own..

Torque those camlocks good people, having the chuck come loose during parting is scary :P Thankfuly D1 camlocks are designed that even if the chuck comes loose, untill all camlocks align just PERFICTLY, the damn chuck won't come fully off... just rattle around and make you **** yourself.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.
  • Oldbrock
    • Dec 2007

On a good lathe the camlocks are hardened, the cams in the spindle that is. The ones on my chucks are also hardened. I would try to find some hardened ones. Peter
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

• Black_Moons
      • Aug 2009

I kinda like the hardened vs non hardened theory of 'Lets make the important parts hardened and the easyer to replace parts soft so they take the damage in a failure'
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
      X