PDA

View Full Version : The Tube Supports for a pipe bender

GunnySnow
10-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Hello there again list

Was wondering about the best way to make the hollowed out parts for the bender?

the part that kind of encases the tube around another part so that it does not get crushed?

any help here would be great thanks

Gunny

CCWKen
10-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Is this round tube or square tube? I make my dies in three pieces. Two outer "disks" sandwiching the center to fit various sizes of tubing or whatever. If I need a new size, I just make the center.

GunnySnow
10-22-2003, 11:05 PM
its for 1" and .750 Round tubing

I am trying to figure out how to machine the concave dies

any ideas or tricks?

Gunny

DR
10-23-2003, 12:50 AM
I've seen some dies made by having a thick walled tube with the correct ID bent and then split to make a die. For instance in your case to make the 1" die, have someone bend some 1-1/4 OD by 1/4" wall tube and split near the neutral axis.

DR
10-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Oops!!! that should have been 1-1/2" OD in previous post.

Evan
10-23-2003, 01:04 AM
Gunny,

I would make a tool with about a 1/8 radius tip and a template to compare with and just start freehand cutting til it's close. You should be able to get pretty close enough anyway.

ibewgypsie
10-23-2003, 04:15 AM
I have a model 3 bender. The dies are kinda pricy. When, I gather enough plate I want to make a laminate die, cut 1/8" plate and stack the die and bolt it together.

No dies that are not concentric are available with this bender thou. All are circles. It would take a traveling shoe that is geared to the die and varied thickness to make a non-concentric bend. More math then I want to deal with.

What'cha bending, I got to know. Come on.. post pictures..

DR
10-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Ibew,

"No dies that are not concentric are available with this bender thou. All are circles. It would take a traveling shoe that is geared to the die and varied thickness to make a non-concentric bend. More math then I want to deal with."

Non-concentric bending.....hmmmmm, that's something I've been thinking about.

Instead of gearing it to the die, how about having a shoe with an air or hydraulic cylinder providing force to push it against the die?