PDA

View Full Version : Disengaging the crossfeed on my Grizzly Lathe

motoracer
10-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi All, I picked up the new Machinist Workshop mag last week because of the taper attachment project in it. I have the 12x36 Grizzly gearhead lathe and the carriage looks just like the one in the magazine article. What I'm not aware of, is how to disengage the crossfeed nut to utilize a taper attachment. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thanks!

BillH
10-23-2003, 01:58 PM
You can download the manual for your lathe from grizzly. Should have an exploded parts diagram

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 10-23-2003).]

JCHannum
10-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Most lathes have a bolt or screw on top of the cross slide that attaches to the feed nut. Removal of this screw allows the slide to slide free when using a taper attachment.

motoracer
10-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks JC. I think I know which screw it would be... I've loosened it before but now that you describe it that way it makes sense that it would have to be removed altogether. Is lining the carriage up with the nut difficult to reinstall the screw later?

JCHannum
10-23-2003, 02:52 PM
No, you can just crank the nut back & forth with the feed screw to locate the hole. At least, on the lathes I am familiar with.

BFHAMR
10-23-2003, 05:08 PM
When you tighten the nut do so with the crosslide all the way to one end, this tends to hold things in alignment better than in the middle of the travel.

Watch out for nuts that are split, these are used to adjust out backlash due to wear. These are trickier to adjust.

Dan