PDA

View Full Version : OT, USB on older MS systems

DR
01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I plugged my smart phone into my shop computer with W95. The phone did not indicate a USB connection like it does on XP. A pop up on the computer's screen said something about "unknown device".

My question is, what's different? Didn't the older systems handle USB like XP?

How about W98? I have one of those I could use in the shop.

Thanks.

Rich Carlstedt
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Win 95 had USB 1
Win 98 had USB 2

The difference is in download speeds and drivers.
Not sure if you can get the driver for 95 ?
For 98, you should be able to find them on the net and download/install
You need to ask the manufacturer IF they have a USB 1 driver available,
I believe.

Too_Many_Tools
01-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Win 95 had USB 1
Win 98 had USB 2

The difference is in download speeds and drivers.
Not sure if you can get the driver for 95 ?
For 98, you should be able to find them on the net and download/install
You need to ask the manufacturer IF they have a USB 1 driver available,
I believe.

Win 98 ONLY IF IT HAD the Service Pack #2 installed.

Earlier versions of Win98 DID NOT HAVE USB software support even though computers were sold with the hardware, the ports and were advertised as supporting USB.

A very sore point with me years ago.

TMT

Evan
01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
There are actually three versions of Win 95, A, B and C. The last version is uncommon but it does have USB support. It is very buggy and will usually only recognize basic devices such as a mouse or keyboard. The same applies to Win 98 upgrade edition and Win 98 version 1. USB wasn't correctly implemented until Win 98 Second Edition.

bruto
01-27-2010, 11:39 PM
As far as I know, you couldn't count on much more than printer operation with Win 95b, but 98SE is pretty full functional if you can find drivers. I ran 98SE for a long time and was able to use a USB scanner, printer, portable CD burner, and even some thumb drives, though drivers are an issue for the latter. You won't find native USB drivers in Win98, as you do in XP.

I have a suspicion your problem here will be in finding a driver.

I shared TMT's frustration some years ago, as I had a Win 95 laptop with a USB port which I could never use. The hardware manufacturers were years ahead of Microsoft on this.

Too_Many_Tools
01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
As far as I know, you couldn't count on much more than printer operation with Win 95b, but 98SE is pretty full functional if you can find drivers. I ran 98SE for a long time and was able to use a USB scanner, printer, portable CD burner, and even some thumb drives, though drivers are an issue for the latter. You won't find native USB drivers in Win98, as you do in XP.

I have a suspicion your problem here will be in finding a driver.

I shared TMT's frustration some years ago, as I had a Win 95 laptop with a USB port which I could never use. The hardware manufacturers were years ahead of Microsoft on this.

Well said.

For me, it marked the day my love died for Bill Gates and Microsoft.

Since then I have lived on the bleeding lagging edge of software releases..always a product..not just a release but a full product behind ... to avoid being screwed over again.

Considering the disaster Vista has been, deliberately staying with XP was a smart evolutionary move.

It also shows how critical a computer interface is (a computer feature no one gives proper credit to) and how difficult it is to get the hardware/software right.

TMT

EVguru
01-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Considering the disaster Vista has been, deliberately staying with XP was a smart evolutionary move.

For quite a while Dell was offering business customers a free upgrade from Vista to XP.

kf2qd
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
If you have a device that existed when 95/98 was still in use you can probably find a driver that will work. But for newer devices there is probably no way you can use it with 95/98. Just because you have a USB port does not mean a device will be able to work because the USB port is the simple part of the connection, the DRIVER is what tells the computer how to work with the particular device. Some newer devices can still work with Win2000, but that version is getting hard to find drivers fo newer devices.

CountZero
01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
If the device can be used with the standard mass storage driver you can probably make use of it. Finding a generic mass storage driver for older Windows is hard but not impossible...

Evan
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
It isn't hard at all. HP has a generic mass storage driver that works with most everything on 98, ME, NT4, 2000, and XP

http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Mass-Storage-Device/3000-18493_4-98143.html

You can also get USB drivers for DOS at

www.bootdisk.com

CountZero
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Did not know that, last time I needed one it took me a while to find(but that was a couple of years ago).