PDA

View Full Version : Adblock has done me in

loose nut
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I installed the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox a while ago to stop some annoying pop-up ads that have been a problem lately but instead it took a strong dislike to this web site page. The banner at the top, which didn't bother me, is gone and so are the "post a reply", "post a new thread" , "smiles" buttons and some other bits too. I had to go into the forum tools to post this thread.

I tried turning off the blocking functions but no joy there. After deleting the Adblock ext. and rebooting it hasn't made any difference. Is there any way to reset Firefox back to the way it was before the Adblock problems.

SGW
01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm using AdBlock with Firefox and don't have any problems...but that doesn't help you any.

Have you gone to Tools --> Add-Ons -- > AdBlock Plus --> Uninstall

in Firefox? (N.b. you have to click on AdBlock Plus in the popup window to get the Uninstall button to appear.)

darryl
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Seems like your install of firefox has become corrupted. I'm not sure that uninstalling and re-installing will fix it, as there could be some files that are left behind during the uninstall that are 'found' again by the fresh install. If I knew the answer to that, I may have done the re and re on my own computer, but instead I switched to Chrome. No further problems.

lazlo
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Seems like your install of firefox has become corrupted.

It sounds like he added a rule to block all images from homeshopmachinist.net.

LN: click on the down arrow next to the ABPlus Stop Sign. Click "Preferences" on the menu that pops up. Under "My Ad Blocking Rules", either delete the bbs.homeshopmachnist.net rule, or prune it so it's not blocking all images originating from here.

Evan
01-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Reset preferences in FireFox.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Resetting%20preferences

lazlo
01-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Reset preferences in FireFox.

That won't fix a bad AdBlock filter.

Evan
01-28-2010, 05:42 AM
This will.

Uninstalling Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is uninstalled like every other extension as well. Go to menu Tools / Add-ons, select Adblock Plus in the list and click the “Uninstall” button. MozillaZine Knowledge Base has more detailed instructions.

Note that Adblock Plus preferences are not removed when the extension is uninstalled. If you reinstall Adblock Plus later your configuration will be available again. If you want a clean start with Adblock Plus you should remove the directory “adblockplus” in your user profile (profile folder location for different applications and operating systems). Also, you should go to about:config and reset all preferences starting with “extensions.adblockplus” (to reset right-click a preference and choose Reset from the context menu).

loose nut
01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Got it, I went into "tools/page info" while in the HSM web page and there was a button for blocking all images on the HSM site. After clearing the button it works again.

Thanks for the ideas.