PDA

View Full Version : Mig Welding Question

motoracer
10-23-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm about to buy a Lincoln 175 amp Mig welder. They have two models - one with continuous voltage adjustment and one with 5 voltage tap settings.

Ultimately, I plan to buy a TIG, but for the next couple of years, a MIG should suit me just fine. Does anybody have any comments on whether the continuous voltage adjustment is *really* worth while?

If the budget was limited and you could choose between tapped voltage settings at 175 amp, or continuous voltage at 130 amp, which would you choose?

Thanks!
-Chris

pgmrdan
10-23-2003, 03:06 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Joel
10-23-2003, 04:21 PM
If you need to weld metal thick enough to require 175 amps, you need a 175-amp welder. My guess is that you will soon enough. I always seem to want more capacity. It has been my experience, (I'm not a prof welder) that migs are not so sensitive that you need infinitely variable settings. You will likely have no trouble with 5 settings. This was a concern to me when I bought my Lincoln mig. I wanted a variable model, but got a great deal on a fixed. After a few uses I didn't care about that anymore, wasn't an issue. Sure have wished for a bigger machine though.

AmickRacing
10-23-2003, 08:27 PM
I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between the continuous vs the tap. I prefer the continuous, but once you get used to the tap settings you'll hardly ever wish you had the continuous (in my opinion, both will well just fine).

A few things to think about with the 175 vs the 130. 1st, not only will the 175 weld thicker materials, but for moderate materials it'll weld longer (within it's duty cycle), where as the other one will likely have a shorter duty cycle. Now I've rarely ever had a problem with duty cycle, but for some reason I end up scratching my head a lot trying to figure out what to do next, so the welder can rest.
Also, you hardly EVER hear anyone say "boy, I shoulda got the smaller welder, the one I have is too big". I'd strongly guide you toward the 175 version.

Arbo
10-23-2003, 08:49 PM
I assume you are referring to the difference between the 175T, and the 175 Plus. The 175 Plus is a superior machine for more reasons than the infinate voltage setting. It has a better wire feed system, and a larger transformer as well. The transformer translates into better duty cycle, and longer life. I am in no way affiliated with Lincoln, just trying to help you make an educated decision.

pgmrdan
10-23-2003, 10:40 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

motoracer
10-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks everybody for your input!

I just bought the 175 Amp MIG from Lowes with the *Free* stand. They actually have two 175 amp welders - one with the stand and one without - for the same exact price. They kept the one with the stand up on the shelf, I wouldn't have even known that they carried it if it wasn't for searching on their website.

I told the manager that Home Depot was offering 10% off your first purchase if you signed up for the HD card and asked if he could do the same...and he did. In the end, I got the 175 amp packaged with the stand for $560 after tax. Not bad considering that the welding shops I been scouring want almost $700 for the same thing.

I'll post back on how well it works after I get some practice. My first project is to make a new stand for my 4x6 bandsaw.

Thanks!

-Chris

mikem
10-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Did you get the 175+ or the 175 T? The best price that I have seen on the net for the 175+ was about $715 including freight. Thanks--Mike.

ibewgypsie
10-24-2003, 11:58 AM
You are familiar with dye kemp, Crack and flaw tester?

I have a lincoln 225 220 volt mig. Using the ERS70 wire I noticed some welds that appear to be perfect have flaws, cold junctions etc. I built one bike trailer and don't know what went wrong, bad wire, bad gas etc, the welds appeared to be burned in, melted together, wide low beads without a lot of undercutting. But, I took a hammer and broke several of the welds. I rewelded all the stuctural points with the stick. Have not trusted the lincoln since for critical welds.

Using the trimix, it heats up the welds more. I found out it has oxygen in it so they tell me. I know it is not worth a flip trying to tig weld, the tungsten dissapears in a flash. I tried to use a bottle on a weekend.

I trust my really important things to the 7018 rods and the stick welder.

I hope my problem with the mig was a one time thing, since about 15 or more cars are running around with Clips installed with it. Since I clipped that last one, the frame must have been 16 ga metal (78 trans AM clip) I install lots of gussets in the frames I do, lots of feet of weld, stronger then the factory for sure.

OHH, and at one time, I opened the door to my mig, hooked up a tig torch (169$ at grainger) and used it to tig stainless 14 ga metal. It worked better then the BUZZ box I had next. I tied the trigger down on the nozzle and turned the wire feed to (0) Never had a problem with the lincoln. I just always thought it could use a little more power. The industrial migs are a lot better for sure. Larger wire, more current..

What'cha building? post pictures please.... Link to a website?

David Cofer,

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 10-24-2003).]