PDA

View Full Version : New Sabic Docs for Fabricating Lexan and vapor polishing

ckelloug
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I've been bugging Sabic (formerly GE plastics) for the past year or so about the Lexan fabrication guides which disappeared from the Internet soon after the takeover.

They sent me the revised guides the other day and said they should be on the web shortly. Unfortunately, the new guides have been edited to remove the portion on methylene chloride vapor polishing. I bugged the Sabic apps engineers again and they just sent me a 1 page scan of a very old fabrication guide which has the "official" instructions for vapor polishing.

I'm happy to send the files to anyone that sends me a PM but I don't have a place to host them so they aren't attached here. If anybody wants to host these, I'll send em to ya.

--Cameron

Lew Hartswick
01-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a winner. How big is the file? I have lots of room on
my web page such as it is. :-)
...lew... (without looking I think it's: home.earthlink/~lhartswick )
or something like that I'll check it later. :-)

Evan
01-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Cameron,

I will put them in my reference library at http://ixian.ca/gallery

plaese send me a copy.

Lew Hartswick
01-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Evan, that white text on a dark gray background is real hard to read
for my old eyes.
...lew...

Evan
01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I'll see about enabling preferences on the site.

Evan
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Try it now. You have a choice of about 10 themes now. The Mac theme looks pretty good.

Liger Zero
01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Can I get an email copy for my files?

Sabic absolutely blows when it comes to tech-support lately. Try asking them about multi-generational regrinds in long-fiber molding processes. *grumble*

ckelloug
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Liger,

Please pm me an address. This answer is to a question I asked in June 2009! They replied then with old docs then. They actually kept their word about sending the newly updated guides. I got the page from an ancient guide on vapor polishing when I asked a follow up question to the girl in the netherlands who I was given as a POC. Unfortuantely, I think they have lost documents or forgotten things they knew when they were GE.

--Cameron

Barrington
01-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Don't know if it's any use, but here's a short GE guide to 'forming, fabricating and finishing" Lexan here (dated April '99) :-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&ved=0CAwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.casc.on.ca%2Fforums%2Fattachm ent.php%3Fattachmentid%3D350%26d%3D1117024428&ei=4CljS4n9D5-I0wTX_bDPBg&usg=AFQjCNG85oT_M9QbscCsV2Ysn0-hljY_XQ&sig2=nrjXT6hVHxf5bTz_jqPEDA

Cheers

Evan
01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I will put up the documents tonight sometime. I would do it now but my internet service is grinding to a halt as the satellite is being taken over for the Olympics. I am now enjoying about 1/10 dial up speed.:mad:

ckelloug
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Barrington,

Great!
That's the guide I remembered seeing many years ago that disappeared. The second file I got from sabic is a scan of that page of the guide you put up. The newer one has more info but they removed the section on solvent polish and many other things. I guess methylene chloride is pretty frowned upon for anything these days.

I hate it when companies remove information we used to have.
--Cameron

Liger Zero
01-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Resin suppliers frown on the use of recycled or reclaimed material because they want to sell you virgin resin, all the time.

In fact I have had to contact a previous employer to get information on regrind "generations" because Sabic has been less than helpful. More or less I get "we do not recommend the use of reclaimed material in any process."

Well I got news for you. When your runner is 2/3rds the weight of the part you can be damn sure I am going to shred it and mix it back into the process and if I have to reinvent the wheel so be it. You big companies aren't the only ones out to make a profit.

Companies have been "regrinding" internally since the days of the First Molders. And I'll be God-Damned if you deny me the technical information.

(for the record... first generation regrind is virgin resin, post mold. Second generation is virgin + 25% regrind. Third is virgin plus X% second generation. And so on.)

Evan
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
I have uploaded the Lexan files to the library section on my web site.

http://ixian.ca/gallery

DFMiller
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Evan,
Thanks for posting those files.
Dave