PDA

View Full Version : Colchester Student

deeman
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I bought the lathe cheap from a guy because it had broken gear teeth in the headstock.I repaired it and got it running however it needs a kick near the elctrical pannel to get it going.Electrical work is something i try and avoid so my knowledge is limited in this area.I`m guessing it is a magnetic switch that needs a little more pull to make it work properly...what is my next move? Thanks

panchula
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Depending on the vintage, you might need to open (or close, I can't remember which) the top drawer in the tailstock end pedestal. I have a Colchester 12" Dominion roundhead and there was an interlock on the drawer before it was rewired back to 3 phase.

-Mike

Stormin
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Check the locking drawer is closed as Mike says but it's more ikely to be a weak contactor.
You can either splash a few notes on a new one or try adjusting the existing one. I seem to recall mine had a spring acting against the magnetic coils pulling the main contacts together and it was adjustable.

Worth a try but it's a sod to get behind the electrical control panel and get it lined up again when relacing. I bypassed all the old electrical stuff in mine when I got it and run off a VFD inverter.