PDA

View Full Version : Some new footpegs

EdC
01-30-2010, 03:38 PM
My brother is rebuilding his Harley for the "4th" time :rolleyes:
so I was asked to make a few parts again...

this weeks project was footpegs, a set of mid-pegs and a set of highway pegs

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r268/cncguns/Footpegs/

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r268/cncguns/Footpegs/100_2086.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r268/cncguns/Footpegs/100_2097.jpg

winchman
01-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Nice work. Got any pictures of them installed on the bike?

Doozer
01-31-2010, 02:24 AM
Cool old lathe!

--Doozer

ahidley
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Nice, but are they slippery? Do your feet slip off when they get wet?

PixMan
01-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey...I had used a "DRO" like that on lathes for many years. ;)

Mine was also in a Mini-Mag holder just like that one. Now I'm wondering what I went and did with that thing.

I ride (not Harley) and would strongly suggest you throw those things onto a mill, get a small ball mill and start making some coarse pattens in them. Such a fine knurl will have no grip for boots when they're wet. Not that a guy on a Harley ever rides in the rain....

:D

Now that I think about it, it might be nice to make a pattern of full-radius grooves using the lathe, then cross them with a similar-size ball mill to effectively make a very coarse, high-grip surface. Then be sure to mill off the big chamfer, just in case the bike sees any lean angle. It could startle the rider if those were to touch down prematurely while taking a corner.

MotorradMike
01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice, but are they slippery? Do your feet slip off when they get wet?

Harleys don't get wet.

Mike

dockrat
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I ride (not Harley) and would strongly suggest you throw those things onto a mill, get a small ball mill and start making some coarse pattens in them. Such a fine knurl will have no grip for boots when they're wet

Like this???? Those points are sharp enough to rip ya open. Boots do NOT slide off in the wet. Used 1/4" ball mill

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1068Medium.jpg

EdC
01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
1)Yeah that's an old Pratt&Whitney at my job, been around a while but it a so;id old lathe...

2) they are not installed yet but when I get pics they will be up...

3) I told him to go with a big knurl, but this is the look he wanted...if it becomes a problem I will change it...

4) yeah...lol... this bike hardly gets ridden so wet is not an issue

I think that answers them all :D

bobw53
02-01-2010, 12:32 AM
A while back we did some prototype work for an "arteest!". Kind of like an inventor, neither one knows what they want, but the arteeest! wants it pretty to boot. The guy did some cool stuff though..

Anyways, this guy wanted a knurl pattern, just he wanted it BIG. Ended up running a 28 start left and right handed thread, 1.5" lead on 2.5" diameter. It came out pretty sweet, a huge massive aggressive diamond knurl.

Black_Moons
02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
bob: How did you index that many starts correctly?

EdC
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
A while back we did some prototype work for an "arteest!". Kind of like an inventor, neither one knows what they want, but the arteeest! wants it pretty to boot. The guy did some cool stuff though..

Anyways, this guy wanted a knurl pattern, just he wanted it BIG. Ended up running a 28 start left and right handed thread, 1.5" lead on 2.5" diameter. It came out pretty sweet, a huge massive aggressive diamond knurl.
yeah, that idea came up in our discussions too...

bobw53
02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
bob: How did you index that many starts correctly?

Mazatrol.

(Lead) 1.5 (Start) 28 (Dpth) .07 (Sfm) 200 G1 T5

Its called cheatin'.

Edit: on a CNC these took forever and some spring passes after running the opposite thread to knock out the burrs. I wouldn't even want to attempt it manually, though it could be
done, it would be a massive time waster though, its a time waster on a CNC machine. The knurls did look cool though.