PDA

View Full Version : New Light Box

Shuswap Pat
01-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I just got a new light box, to take pictures of tools etc. Any sugestions for light or?

Thanks

Pat

Davidhcnc
01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
...a nearby star:)

darryl
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
I built myself a 'light box' for the same reason. I use four cf screw in bulbs, two each side, with a piece of ordinary 4 ft fluorescent fixture cover on each side. One cover is cut in two, so obviously each side is two feet high.

http://www.glacern.net/free_photo_upload/light%20box.jpg

Pretty hard to tell from the picture, but there's a piece of diffusion plastic film in front of each bulb to help disperse the light. I'm fortunate to be working at a place where flat screen tvs are being scrapped regularly- there's usually a couple layers of this plastic film in front of the 'light box' behind the display panel. I think you can buy this stuff at a stationary store also, but it will most likely be in 8x11 sheets. It really helps to even out the lighting.

In this box, the sides are on hinges, so I can shut the doors and it sits against the wall, taking up only about four inches of room above the desktop. Inside the box I have several sheets of posterboard which can be chosen as backgrounds. You're seeing the black one right now. I also have a board which I set up as a base to display things on, and there's a number of different colored poster boards that lay on that to suit the object being photographed. I don't have that set up in this picture.

Things I have experimented with include laying a mirror across the top when the doors are open. This helps to fill in some shadowing.

The choice of bulb makes a difference (cool white, warm white, dayglo, etc) Often I don't take the time to set the parameters in the camera for type of lighting, but I should. I need to spend more time playing with the rebel xt camera- usually I just grab my casio p+s and take a quick pic or three-