PDA

View Full Version : Weather keeps me out of the shop dangit!

DICKEYBIRD
01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I had so many things lined up to do in the shop this weekend and then I hear the dreaded pop, bang, snaps all night. This is what greeted me & my coffee this morning. At least the power came back on about 3:00 AM.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/IceTree2010.jpg

Dadgum icestorm came through last night and filled the yard with tree debris. I got all the stuff cleaned up in the front & sides today (chainsaw thought it was resting 'til spring, hah!) but I'm faced with the big stuff tomorrow. 2 big'uns resting on my neighbor's fence so I'll have to deal with it after the thaw that's predicted tomorrow.

Looks like there'll be a different set of sore muscles than the ones I get from spinning lathe & mill handles!:(

tyrone shewlaces
01-30-2010, 05:54 PM
As much pain in the rear as weather like this causes, I still get a charge out of it. Sure it's cold and it can feel miserable at times, but there's something "exciting" about it when it comes around. The snap, crackle pop is of course nature just peeling away the weak layers.

Had a girlfriend once who called it "crystal trees". It rings true - everything has a bit of surreal, magical quality to it when it's all almost impossibly covered in a half inch or more of clear ice. Sometimes during the thick of it things can be dicey so this is easy to say from a distance.

I haven't been in my shop more than a few hours for the past three months, so I do feel your pain. It's an event worth taking pictures of though, isn't it? hehe

DICKEYBIRD
01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Geeez Tyrone, you shoulda been here this morning to re-edumacate me so I'd have been revelling in the beauty of my surroundings instead of wallowing in despair!:D

saltmine
01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I spent the past couple of days in sunny Southern California, visiting my brother.

Sunshine, temps in the 70's,

Of course, it wasn't all fun & games.

I'm the grand uncle of the cutest two-year-old you ever saw.

Her Nickname is "The Blonde Tornado"

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu155/saltmine_album/morgan2.jpg

Dawai
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah, we were on the "edge" of that same storm. It went from no snow, to ten inches accumulation, to no more accumulation. We could not get the wife's lil Honda all the way home. I live on a ridge.

Weather forecast changed every ten minutes all day long.. Now mostly gone. Most my shop has no heat. Metal sticks to your fingers on the extreme cold.

I'm happy that big tree didn't take your shop out. That'd be terrible to have to cover everything with a tarp till you could roof it.

tyrone shewlaces
01-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Geeez Tyrone, you shoulda been here this morning to re-edumacate me so I'd have been revelling in the beauty of my surroundings instead of wallowing in despair!:D
Oh man that's one easy lesson:
The feeling of despair is simply a chemical imbalance. It means you are lacking an essential nutrient.
Feeling despair? = Drink more beer.

p.s. I'll edit to note that millions of people pay $20/pop to see the world crumble down in a movie theater. You can just plop a comfy chair behind a window and watch it in live sensurround for free!
...and drink beer.