PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy toolbox brown finish Q

PixMan
01-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I have a fairly new (less than 3 years old) Kennedy 52611 top box. It sits on a somewhat older 297 roll-around chest. I just bought a much older MC-28 two-drawer riser to stick under the box (I simply have to stop buying more tools!) and this one has a very dull finish as compared to the other two pieces.

I've cleaned the shop grime off with trisodium phosphate (don't tell the treehuggers I still have some of the good stuff.) Next I wiped it down with the only other thing I had handy, a spray can of Fuller Brush Company's "Appliance Cleaner & Wax". It's old enough that it didn't really list any active ingredients other than to say "contains petroleum distallates".

The finish on the textured brown paint looks cleaner, as in it's lost the grayish-black shop grime, but I would like to see the sheen that the newer 52611 box has returned to the MC-28. Should I try something like Armour-All, or does anyone have a better suggestion? I found nothing on Kennedy's website abut the subject.

Or should I just let all the boxes get dirty and dingy so they look more-used? ;)

PeteM
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Kennedy makes a brown paint to touch up their boxes. It's not a wrinkle paint, but is a good match and a good way to touch up old boxes and/or get them to match. I believe McMaster carries it as well.

PixMan
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
There are minimal nicks in the paint, it's in overall good shape. I just want to try and make what's there look more like new. I have done this with a 20+ year-old BMW, not so easy with something that doesn't have smooth paint that I can work with my Porter-Cable 7424 and Menzerna compounds. ;)

nheng
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
You might try some Mother's Gold carnauba wax. Buff it off with a terrycloth towel to remove it from the textured brown paint. It will restore some of the "depth" that Armor-All only temporarily restores. Den

rsiminski
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
MSC carries Kennedy's brown wrinkle spray paint. Here is the link.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2264543&PMT4NO=78836410

PeteM
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
I've got about a dozen Kennedy chests, bought in various conditions from new to a bit dinged and rusty. A light overspray of the Kennedy paint sounds like all that would be needed to restore yours. The drawers, lids, etc. are easy to mask -- shouldn't take more than a half hour of work from start to finish. The existing wrinkle finish shows through just fine. If there is a nick in the paint, it doesn't show much; though spot priming is a good idea.

If you think you might go the Kennedy paint route, you surely don't want to oil or wax the paint that's on there now -- rather you'll want to clean it well with solvent to get good adhesion. I've also used a maroon Scotchbright pad to clean things up a bit without destroying the wrinkle finish.

Anyhow, maybe experiment on the bottom or back of the box first if you want to try the wax etc. If you're not happy with the wax, you've just created a whole lot more work for yourself.

ammcoman2
01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
A few years ago I "redid" a Kennedy toolbox and reprayed it with the correct paint obtained from KBC, in my case.

More recently I picked up an old motor that originally had black crinkle finish paint but it had turned an ugly brown. Cleaned it up with Varsol and, when it had dried, sprayed on ArmorAll. The nice black color is still there after about 6 months. Don't know how long it will last though.

Perhaps worth a try.

Geoff

PixMan
01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll hold off on paint for right now. As I'd said, it's really in pretty good shape. I think I'll try an experiment of treating one end of the riser with Armour All, the other with something else. I have a wide variety of stuff from detailing my cars, something is bound to work well. I know I don't use Armour All anywhere near a car anymore, so plenty of that stuff to waste.

When I cleaned it with TSP I did use a safer version of the Scotchbrite pad, the green "kitchen" kind. It got all the stuck-on lumps off. If I was to paint it right now the only trace of oils on the paint are whatever petroleum distallates are in that "Appliance Cleaner & Wax" product.

JoeLee
07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
MSC carries Kennedy's brown wrinkle spray paint. Here is the link.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2264543&PMT4NO=78836410

Pretty expensive can of spray paint!!!!

JL.................

JoeLee
07-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I forgot to mention............ what I've done in the past is used a rubberized undercoating first and then spray your color over it. I've had good results. Just make sure your rubberized under coating is the kind that dries hard, not the cheap stuff that stays gooey for ever.
The best stuff I found I think was called Rocker Chutz........ used for chip gaurd for rocker panels. I think it was made by 3M. I also used some clear textured chip gaurd, cant remember the name but that worked out even better. There might be some good urathane stuff out there now. I would check with your local auto body supply store. If you find anything please let me know as I have a project comming up soon that will require that kind of finish.

JL......................

Tinkerer
07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
If the finish is ok and your after luster... hit it with some clear Kylon. A couple of light coats and it'll shine like new. Test it on the bottom first... just in case. ;)