PDA

View Full Version : Grease Gun Rant

madman
02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I made a few Hi Pressure oil guns from the Alemite 500 Grease Guns aka Guy Lautard years ago. Worked out very nicely. Showed the Tool Die Boss how it would oil a old fitting on a Radial Arm Drill m Pumped it twice and it made a thwacking noise and a large wad of crud that was 50 years old flew out and messerd up his Pretty shirt. Me i just started laughing. After he saw all the oil flowing out of places where it hadnt on that Drill for years he gave me 100 bucks for it. NOW I always have had trouble with the grease guns i have biought. They seem to just not work when you want them too. i use Starplex exp 2 grease a LOT on my bearings (Trailer Bearing Buddies) I was outside (cold todasy) Trying to Grease the wheel bearings in my Sled \trailer and I just couldnt even get the darn fitting to connect to the Grease Gun?? Is evertything Chinese Now and just Lousy Quality, I opumped changed the Grease CXartridge and still was a no go. Finally grabbed another grease gun (same thing grease in it but no go) changed the cartridge and finished punping up the Bearings, It was cold and sure went slowly. Are there any better type of grease gun made for winter conditions? I have a alemite 5900 and used to like it but now?? Looking to upgrade? thanx (When its cold as heck its easy to get Pissed of )

EddyCurr
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
What about Lincoln ? (http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/asp/products/greaseguns.asp).

jdunmyer
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I personally like a bulk filler for my grease guns. It made a lot of sense years ago, the grease was very cheap in a 5-gallon bucket, and the guns are easy to fill, with about no mess during the process. Of course, you need to pay attention to how empty the gun is, and fill it before it runs out if you're going to need it in the field.

Cartridges are about as cheap today, it seems. You do need to bleed the air after changing one, of course. One problem I've run into on occassion is the chuck going bad and not sealing to the Zerk properly. Changing it solves that, of course.

All of my grease guns have hoses on them, no pipe.

EddyCurr
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Like jdunmyer, my grease guns only have hoses, too.

I also changed over to the single handed pistol grip style some time
ago, relegating my double-handed lever action pumps to the scrap heap.

Willy
02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I now how you feel, a long time ago I came to the realization that if you are going to run out of grease in the gun or are going to have problems with it, it's going to happen when you are bunched up between the diffs on a tandem.:eek:

Using the right grease for the time of year is paramount. I have also a developed a strong dislike for Alemite grease guns for some of the reasons you mentioned. Although I swear by Lincoln grease guns they too are not totally fool proof. Because I service a lot of equipment where the fittings are a long way from the gun I always like to use two quality 18" hoses and a quality fitting on the end. Another precaution I take is when loading the gun with a new tube, start the body of the gun just one turn, release the plunger, and then tighten the rest of the way. It seems to avoid the odd small air pocket between the pump and the new tube.

Speaking of air pockets, this will probably be one of the biggest problems you can run into. There is a huge quality control issue with different manufacturers of grease. Some tubes seem to be full of air pockets and others do not. In desperation I have even cut new tubes open just to verify that neither me or the grease gun was going crazy! Again grease of the right consistency will be a blessing when the weather turns cold.

Although I'm sure there are many quality greases out there with no air pockets, I have always had good luck with Exxon and Chevron tubes.
This does not constitute a product endorsement as I sold both of those companies a long time ago.:D

EddyCurr
02-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Using the right grease for the time of year is paramount.

Again grease of the right consistency will be a blessing when the
weather turns cold.Do you feel synthetics have somewhat alleviated the issue?

Willy
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Very definitely Eddy, and for the same reasons that it excels in engine oil. Grease is after all just a convenient carrier for oil.
Some systems or applications require a lot of make up grease though and in those situations I don't believe it to be cost effective.

tdkkart
02-02-2010, 01:04 AM
To realize a better understanding of grease guns, go to the current "Shop Humor" thread and see the hacksaw listing.