View Full Version : source for oil-filled caps?

10-22-2003, 03:25 PM
anyone know a source for oil-filled capacitors to work on this phase converter project of mine? or am i just better off buying one of the kits with no motor off ebay?

andy b.

10-22-2003, 03:31 PM
If you do find a source of oil filled caps don't take any older than about 1975. They will probably be PCB filled. Major disposal headache.

I looked it up, the exact date is July 1, 1978. Anything before that is probably PCB filled.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-22-2003).]

10-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Although presumably if they work he won't be disposing them........

10-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Not if they develop a leak or burst!

Bruce Griffing
10-22-2003, 05:55 PM
I have not purchased capacitors from this place, but they were very good for motors. I have no connection with them.


10-22-2003, 08:36 PM
WW Grainger,McMASTER-Carr are two good places,also a/c shops and junkyards that take old commercial a/c units.

After doing some research on this topic I have found that the load on the caps is kept to no more than 5 amps per cap,so divide your total load in amps by 5 and that is the number of caps you will need as a minimum.

However,if you are building a pony or idler motor converter you do not need the caps if you start the converter with a pull rope or a small single phase motor,if fact they will cause over heating.

10-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Any capacitor of the suitable types will have either a KVA (apparent power) or a current rating. The apparent power gives the amps if divided by the specified voltage.
You might have to dig to find the rating if it isn't marked.

A capacitor which is OK will be marked "no pcbs". No marking? No guarantee.

mike thomas
10-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Just buy the caps off of ebay. I bought a few at a very reasonable price. I cannot remember the seller, but he had tons of them. I bid on the listed ones, then emailed that I wished him to include others when he shipped. He was great to work with.
I just went over and checked my feedback. the seller's name is, sawyer335. Look him up and ask if he has run caps, he has start caps on ebay now. Mike

10-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Contact any HVAC installer. They replace equipment and are a source for oil filled capacitors