PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone ID this mill?

gr8life
02-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Helped a friend pick up this mill last night. Can anyone ID it and tell me anything about it?
thanks
ed
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/gr8lifeLV/CoreysMillSmall-1.jpg

Toolguy
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
That's a Hedwick made by Fenling Engineering Co. in Rockford, IL. Later they changed the machine name to Rock Mill. They are a simple but good machine and have some cool features not seen on a Bridgeport. That one looks to be in pretty good condition. The dial at the top is a spindle speed indicator. The handwheel on the right side of the column is variable spindle speed. The lever at top right of the head is high and low range, center position is neutral. The motor is in the bottom of the base with a long belt going up to a horizontal drive shaft inside the ram with a variable pulley system for speed change. It has power downfeed for boring holes. You can crank the spindle up and down manually with the handwheel.

Doozer
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I want to say Rockford on the mill, at least I have seen the name Rockford on one of those. I recognize the speed dial on the head.

--Doozer

gr8life
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info. Both lathe & mill major dirty, poorly lubed but everything works. They will need some tlc but for $1000 for both, loaded on my friends trailer I think he got a deal and I have a few days work ahead of me.
thanks
ed