PDA

View Full Version : OT - OCC, what the heck happened?

Davek0974
02-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi all,

i used to be an avid follower of the guys at OCC, mainly for lessons in how NOT to use a machine tool and how NOT to behave in a workshop :)

I caught an episode last night where they were "building" a bike for a baseball star and it seems that not only has junior gone to creating barbecues! but also that Mikey has been ousted to the extent that Paul Snr would not even attend his piano recital:eek:

What on earth went wrong? Is it just the curse of non-stop cash from Discovery channel or something else?

In all there was about 15 minutes of assembly time in the hour, the rest of it was more like a reality tv show about the family, not what i wanted to see.

ALSO, why is the shop, which is full of nice CNC stuff always empty, do they film on Sundays or what?

Dave

Robo
02-02-2010, 03:19 AM
I noticed alot of problems to. I think sales are down and the kids are tired of Paul Sr's antics.

RB211
02-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Mikey is the only one of the lot that is tolerable!

deeman
02-02-2010, 04:34 AM
They are joining the cast at General Hospital.

Doc Nickel
02-02-2010, 04:34 AM
It's easy. Give buckets of cash to idiots who were already a dysfunctional family, throw in some measure of fame, then just sit back and watch. It's not a question of if there'll be a breakdown/fight/divorce/breakup, but simply a matter of when.

You see the same thing with lottery winners. It's actually rather rare for a lottery winner, especially of a large one, to still be sane and stable three to five years down the road.

Few people, really, can handle instant or near-instant cash, fewer still can handle fame. The OCC guys essentially don't have to work. They have techs and welders to build the bikes, managers and secretaries to pay the bills and market the products, and agents to handle the TV shows. All they have to do is show up for a taping session once a week or twice a month or whatever.

What else do that have to do but gripe at each other and bitch about money?

One of these days, we'll have a nicely-done, high-production-quality show for mechanics, machinists or hotrodders, that's as well done as This Old House, shows craftsmanship like Yankee Workshop, and is still as interesting to watch as the early episodes of Junkyard Wars.

When that happens, I might just start watching TV again. :D

Doc.

Evan
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
When that happens, I might just start watching TV again

If that happened I might even buy a TV.

Davek0974
02-02-2010, 04:59 AM
One of these days, we'll have a nicely-done, high-production-quality show for mechanics, machinists or hotrodders, that's as well done as This Old House, shows craftsmanship like Yankee Workshop, and is still as interesting to watch as the early episodes of Junkyard Wars.
Doc.

Now THAT would be a quality tv show, Norm and the team at this old house showed some quality craftsmanship.

Dave

Black_Moons
02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
I wanna see CNC improvement.

'Yea we slaped a 318 bigblock on this bridgeport and now its got 200HP at the spindle, ARR ARR ARR ARRR!!!, Slaped a couple spare starter motors on the X/Y/Z for 500IPM rapids, and installed a CO2 compressor to cool them with liquid CO2, running off the new 200Hp spindle, lets see what it does on this 5"x12"x36" block of steel'

'I don't think so tim'

Doc Nickel
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
I honestly don't see why somebody can't do it.

Yes, I know it's a somewhat limited market- despite news articles about the "resurgence" of DIY and the increasing availability of affordable (IE cheap import) machine tools (Harbor Freight, Northern Hydraulics, tool dealers like CDCO, etc.)

But really, Junkyard Wars had a pretty decent following- before they took it down the "reality show" path. BattleBots was hot 'til they started showing fewer battles and more Electra the Airhead. OCC itself got hot when they were actually showing shopwork.

Then there's the dozens of spin-offs like Trick My Truck, Pimp My Ride, Monster Garage... ferpete'ssake look at MythBusters! Half the appeal of that show is watching them build something, with the other half watching them blow it up! :D

Which leads to the conclusion that a show about machining would probably have to show how icepicks, machine guns and pipe bombs were made, in order to be successful. :D

Seriously though, the show would have to feature machining and fabrication, but not as the centerpiece. MythBusters has the premise of busting myths, but that's just the cover so they can play with explosives. If the show was nothing but blowing stuff up or burning it down, it'd be interesting for about a week, then get old fast.

So what we need is a premise, a topic for the show. Cars, choppers and hotrods are good because there's a huge and varied interest in them, and thus a big market. What else is there? A show about gunsmithing? Yeah, we'd have all of 35 viewers. A show about manufacturing? Who wants to see a foundry cast a pipe flange? (Yes, I know- I would too- that's why they have "How it's Made". :) )

How about a "Monster Garage" for stuff other than cars and trucks? Like computer case mods, tricked out Nerf guns (no, I'm not kidding) modified paintball guns (or pellet guns and air rifles) or other small stuff. A TV show where three to five guys get together in a TechShop-like environment, and build something- the usual "what do we want to do?" beginning stage, the "how should we go about it" planning stage, the build, then showing the finished whatever, in use at the end.

As they're building, like in Junkyard Wars, you slip in some tech; The voiceover describes the machine, explains the technique, gives little tidbits ("we could have done this on that other machine, but this one gives a better surface finish, and...")

You could even showcase a particular machine or tool or process each week or each episode- like one project uses a lot of water-jet cut parts, or another uses a CNC plasma table. This week we're showing a CNC turning center making the knobs we need, next week we'll see a similar part being made on a 65 year old screw machine.

Oh, and there's an idea- to mix it up, occasionally the group has to use a different set of machines. For a relatively simple project, this time around they have to use lineshaft machines and carbon-steel cutters. For this other project, they have to use CNC everything except hand tools to assemble it.

That might actually work, if you get a good, smart team together to pull it off.

Or they could half-a$s it like they do most of the other shows and it'd get cancelled after three episodes. :D

Doc.

Davek0974
02-02-2010, 06:55 AM
There's a good program in there somewhere:)

I would like to see something like How Its Made etc but with much more detail, more time spent and all the good bits that they dont have time for, at present it just scratches the surface and you see a tiny bit of a machine doing stuff but i want to see how they made the machine do that stuff.

We had a tour of a weaving mill in scotland a few years ago, the place was massive with some of the fastest looms available, the noise aproaching the hall whetted my appetite and by the time i got to the machines i was drooling and chomping at the bit !

These looms all had perspex end covers and you could see every little part working, it was absolutely fantastic and i stood there studying the gears and cams while the group wandered off looking at yarns and cloth:rolleyes: In the end the guide had to come back and get me:o

Thats what i want, time to absorb what they are showing in every detail.

Evan
02-02-2010, 07:21 AM

A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people. It would only appeal to a very select audience and for that reaon it would only appeal to a *very* select group of advertisers. It's such a small community compared to just about anything else that there aren't enough dollars to support it.

Of course it could be made to appeal to a larger demographic by throwing in some T & A and/or personal interaction. You know, like OCC....

Doc Nickel
02-02-2010, 07:50 AM
A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people.

-I'm pretty sure I already said that. :D

Yeah, there's a reason "This Old House" and "Yankee Workshop" are on PBS, and not primetime network TV. But again, those shows are about the doing- as I noted about MythBusters, the "doing" is secondary, but still a heavy draw in and of itself.

So what we need, is a show where the machining is the "how", but not the "why"- the why is the the making of the project. It'd still be tricky to find some projects that can draw- that is, without defaulting back to the near-universal car/truck/bike interest- but I'd bet a good crew could still pull it off.

Heck, you could do a whole season on just constructing BattleBots- have the final episode of the season show the combat of the 'bots people had been watching get built for the past couple of months, and I'll bet that could draw. No, not as much as an average episode of OCC or even an early episode of MythBusters, but it'd be better than a 3:00am episode of Trick My Truck. :D

Doc.

Your Old Dog
02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people. .....

We aren't implying here that "most people" watch these types of programs in the first place are we?

What would make these programs described work is the fact that they get aired nearly hundreds of times. They would likely get the same crowd as those who watch "How it's Made". I watched 4 episodes in a row till the wife came in and made me change it. :D (they had a How-it's-Made-athon a few days ago)

When you take into account the vast audieance, vast amount of channels and varied interest of this world you could make money on almost any well put together program with decent production values. Example... Ice Road Truckers, Arctic Fishing, Dirty Jobs and on and on. When we only had 13 channels those programs would have never flown.

Black_Moons
02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I could never figure out why everything on the face of the planet has to 'appeal to a wide target audiance'
Doesnt anyone consider the small target audiances who have nothing else and basicly have no choice but to watch/buy your stuff due to lack of anything else? Who are easy to alienate by trying to appeal to a wide target audiance (When the wide audiance has many alternatives and thinks your show/product sucks))

Mcgyver
02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
'Yea we slaped a 318 bigblock on this bridgeport and now its got 200HP at the spindle, ARR ARR ARR ARRR!!!, Slaped a couple spare starter motors on the X/Y/Z for 500IPM rapids, and installed a CO2 compressor to cool them with liquid CO2, running off the new 200Hp spindle, lets see what it does on this 5"x12"x36" block of steel'

Now thats a great idea, if we really wanted to capture the hearts of the gene pool's shallower side, we could have the bport reving and doing burn outs of cutters.

A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people.

who cares about most people? thats been done, gorilla tactics, where a show goes after a niche will work.....all it needs is a certain # of a viewers of a measurable demographic generating revenue in excess of its cost. I think 'How its made' proves a show that guys like us like can work. Most of the others, occ, the hot rod shows end up cheesy human interest shows with a tech backdrop...but it doesn't have to be. 'How's its made' shows that interesting is good enough. An hour on how i made my steam engine crank would bore (hehe) even you guys....it has to be done right and convey the interesting learning while cutting away a chaf.

I was reading an account PM about metal spiral staircase railings, not something i see myself doing, but i could see a half hour TV show on it....doesn't have to be in excruciating detail or teach you how to weld, just as to show you the interesting bits and it will have appeal way beyond guys who, for example, want to build spiral staircases

Dawai
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14007

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431609

Sandra Bullock has been good for this man. Whilst I was in Savannah, I saw this beautiful Chop, supercharger on the side, workmanship like no other.. yeah.. I got a idea it belonged to this man.

My first opinion of him, a egotistical prick. Not so sure now. I was one of them once.. to some people I still am. I thought I was the "best" tattoo artist in the whole world. It don't take but a few shows to "humble you". As normal, artists with a huge ego look down their nose at all others. I have always kept my eyes open all the way around. Learned when I can, helped when I can.

Now, my eyes bad at times. I don't regret a thing. I have became a metal shaper, among other things. Just another medium to work in.

(look at the upholstery work in that merc there on JJ site.., Kinda makes me feel bad to "narrow and hand stitch a old rear seat to go into my 1948 truck".. Just don't measure up)

aboard_epsilon
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
A show that is really about machining would be about as interesting as watching the hour hand on a clock to most people. It would only appeal to a very select audience and for that reaon it would only appeal to a *very* select group of advertisers. It's such a small community compared to just about anything else that there aren't enough dollars to support it.

Of course it could be made to appeal to a larger demographic by throwing in some T & A and/or personal interaction. You know, like OCC....

I don't know

it could be made interesting ..

like you could show how to make threads on a lathe ..

when the lathe is cutting you could speed it up ten fold..fast motion ..not the actual cutting.

you could show projects the same way .the slow bits of the projects being fast motioned...with a clock showing..........and maybe then..it would look a lot more interesting to the general public.

in-between all this you could have workshop visits ........other clips showing off different machines and what they do,

yes it could be done ..

but there isn't enough of us metalworkers for it to be shown to.

if they made it as above ..they could make it all look very interesting to the non metalworkers ..who then have a dabble get hooked and become metalworkers.

all the best.markj

Evan
02-02-2010, 08:48 AM
I could never figure out why everything on the face of the planet has to 'appeal to a wide target audiance'

YOD just answered that inadvertently.

I watched 4 episodes in a row till the wife came in and made me change it.

John Stevenson
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I watched one episode and can't believe anyone could be dim enough to continue to watch a program that is so obviously fake.

If people voted with the off button then they would have to do something different.

vpt
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
That new show where those guys build tanks and stuff is pretty neat. I think they need a machinist to help refine their work. ;)

SteveF
02-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Are you talking about Howe & Howe? Personally I can't stand all the completely made up drama. OMG, we have to ship this to the Army in 10 days!! Everyone will have to work late nights and weekends or our company is bankrupt!!!! Hey, let's take some time to make a tracked snow mobile. OMG, the wheels on the Army prototype are coming apart, they take 6 weeks to have made and we can't afford new ones!!!! A few days later a crate of them magically appears JUST IN TIME!

At least Paul Sr really does dislike his sons' work ethic and really did force them out of the business.

On the other hand, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Holmes on Homes, all seem to be successful shows without all the yelling and screaming.

Steve.

camdigger
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
There's been some shows on with building content athough not necessarily machining.

I've been watching (and enjoying) this list lately.

"engineering connections" Nat geographic channel
"How it's made" Discovery and others
"Engineering an Empire" History Channel and others
"the Re- Inventors" History Channel
"Ancient Discoveries" "
"Ancient Machines?" "

Nova has done some too, but the name escapes me. Because these are primarily historically based, a lot of the constructions tend to be wooden and timber framed, etc.

The BBC has partnered with some others to make and show several series I've seen in the past currently off air AFAIK.
"Weapons that Made Britain"
"Secret Life of Machines" (available on the net as downloads?)
"Junkyard wars" Britain and American
"Connections" by James Burke - IMHO, the premiere engineering history series
"Connections II" Also by James Burke

The Connections series were so highly regarded, they were routinely shown in the Engineering Faculty over the lunch hour when I was still in school.

For an hour of bloody recreations, there's a series on Spike called something like "Ultimate(?) Warriors" that tests ancient weapons sets then runs computer simulations of battles between selected wariors like Samuri vs Apache, etc. The simulations are done with pig carcasses and ballistic gel models with a few force/pressure cells and baggies full of simulated blood thrown in.

EVguru
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
You missed out Rough Science!

camdigger
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM

'Course I did, I've never seen it. Has it ever aired this side of the pond?..

Roy Andrews
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
YOD its still going. the how its made marathon that is.

Peter.
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Rough Science is brilliant. We need more stuff like that instead of mind-numbing soaps and reality-tv.

JTToner
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
OCC - outside of the family, they do have some craftsmen, but the family are a lot of drama-queens. Paul Jr., with his new hair-do, is looking to just be a queen. He quits choppers to open a boutique? How bloody sweet! I still watch but I don't know why. I much preferred West Coast Choppers, Foos, and the like. but seems they're gone now.

RKW
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
They are just catering to the mainstream idiot audience and what they want to see ... reality drama ... I stopped watching it years ago because it had just started to go that way. Too bad, as I also watched it to see them build things rather than scream at each other.

Hi all,

i used to be an avid follower of the guys at OCC, mainly for lessons in how NOT to use a machine tool and how NOT to behave in a workshop :)

I caught an episode last night where they were "building" a bike for a baseball star and it seems that not only has junior gone to creating barbecues! but also that Mikey has been ousted to the extent that Paul Snr would not even attend his piano recital:eek:

What on earth went wrong? Is it just the curse of non-stop cash from Discovery channel or something else?

In all there was about 15 minutes of assembly time in the hour, the rest of it was more like a reality tv show about the family, not what i wanted to see.

ALSO, why is the shop, which is full of nice CNC stuff always empty, do they film on Sundays or what?

Dave

JMcTool
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Want niche market techy stuff? Check http://youtube.com for homemade videos, some quite good; lots of machining stuff, especially for newbies. You might also like a bit of the output from the http://makezine.com crew altho some of it does assume electronics knowledge. Some of it is just plain goofy, and much of it is one-off but it does encourage me to see people doing something themselves.

I find little value in TV. So much fluff, so little of interest.

Throw It All Away; Toad the Wet Sprocket, Coil:
> burn your tv in your yard
> and gather 'round it with your friends
> and warm your hands upon the fire
> and start again

Jim

Davek0974
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Are you talking about Howe & Howe? Personally I can't stand all the completely made up drama. OMG, we have to ship this to the Army in 10 days!! Everyone will have to work late nights and weekends or our company is bankrupt!!!! Hey, let's take some time to make a tracked snow mobile. OMG, the wheels on the Army prototype are coming apart, they take 6 weeks to have made and we can't afford new ones!!!! A few days later a crate of them magically appears JUST IN TIME!

At least Paul Sr really does dislike his sons' work ethic and really did force them out of the business.

On the other hand, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Holmes on Homes, all seem to be successful shows without all the yelling and screaming.

Steve.

Yes its the "got to have it done yesterday" crap that really spoils it for me. Once in a while maybe but not every single bike, its just not possible.

OTOH i think Rick (Petco i think) is a really talented guy that can do wonders with sheet steel, and Vinny was really skilled too but he got out first. Paul Snr would enjoy life more if he worked alone, Paul Jnr well i just dont know:confused: , and Mikey seems a pretty decent type that would do anything to help. Put them together though and its not pretty for long. If thats the price of tv fame then you can shove it, my son works with me everey day and its great so it must depend on attitudes i guess.

EddyCurr
02-03-2010, 03:10 AM
In my opinion, Scott Gillen had a hit with "Build or Bust" - broadcast on
SpeedTV. It was particularly good when early episodes were filmed
at Russel Mitchel's Exile Cycles.

The premise - come up with an original design for a bike, source the
parts, build it to the standards of Exile Cycles and get it to run long
enough to do a burn out all within the alotted time of one month - if
successful, you get to take the bike home.

Now THAT was entertaining reality TV. Mr Gillen's subsequent efforts
have not risen to the same standards.

Since satisfying programming are not forthcoming from the networks,
why not roll your own ?

Who here is renting videos from SmartFlix (http://smartflix.com/) ? I've had good experiences
dealing with them.

psomero
02-03-2010, 03:36 AM

Then there's the dozens of spin-offs like Trick My Truck, Pimp My Ride, Monster Garage... ferpete'ssake look at MythBusters! Half the appeal of that show is watching them build something, with the other half watching them blow it up! :D

monster garage was on the air at least 6 months or a year before american chopper...

Forrest Addy
02-03-2010, 04:47 AM
A series featuring machne shop work? Boring for all but a very few like us. There probably isn't 50,000 people in the US with that kind of interest and only a few of those will elect to watch a TV show on the topic. Then who will sponsor it? What kind of format? There was an documentaary called "Ben's Mill" which I thought was fascinating by most of my gear head family dozed off when I showed them the VHS tape. It's a tough gamble.

I was approached a couple of times on this very subject to eiter host or conceive of a machine ahop TV show. There was a lot of back and forth but until a machnist with the pizzazz of Roy Underhill comes along I doubt if a viable machne shop show will ever run for more than a few episodes.

I have some acting and theater creds by I don't have the energy or the sparkel to host such a show. Nor am I creative enough to put together interesting segments that will capture an audience wider than a dedicated few. That's a job for real showmen. Alas, people like me are only needed in the background to keep the technical side up to snuff.

EddyCurr
02-03-2010, 05:52 AM
A series featuring machne shop work? Boring for all but a very few like us.nyuk, nyuk, nyuk ...

... but until a machinist with the pizzazz of Roy Underhill comes
along I doubt if a viable machine shop show will ever run for more than
a few episodes.Consider the example of Dave Bowman

"For fifteen years, Bowman pioneered automotive
“how-to” television, beginning with “Shadetree Mechanic,” seen
on The Nashville Network (TNN). Bowman co-hosted the show as
well as sold placements and developed the show content. Starting
in 1992, with a successful run of ten years, “Shadetree Mechanic”
was the first automotive repair show on national television. Bowman
went on to create and co-host “Crank & Chrome,” an automotive
performance show seen on TNN. Bowman also created “Hi Rev Tuners”
for the SPEED Channel; the show was the first sports compact show
seen on a national network. He later created “Truck Universe” and
created and co-hosted “Two Guys Garage” for the SPEED Channel."

Neither handsome nor polished in the manner of a Hollywood star,
Mr Bowman managed to make his mark.

gnm109
02-03-2010, 06:07 AM
A series featuring machne shop work? Boring for all but a very few like us. There probably isn't 50,000 people in the US with that kind of interest and only a few of those will elect to watch a TV show on the topic. Then who will sponsor it? What kind of format? There was an documentaary called "Ben's Mill" which I thought was fascinating by most of my gear head family dozed off when I showed them the VHS tape. It's a tough gamble.

I was approached a couple of times on this very subject to eiter host or conceive of a machine ahop TV show. There was a lot of back and forth but until a machnist with the pizzazz of Roy Underhill comes along I doubt if a viable machne shop show will ever run for more than a few episodes.

I have some acting and theater creds by I don't have the energy or the sparkel to host such a show. Nor am I creative enough to put together interesting segments that will capture an audience wider than a dedicated few. That's a job for real showmen. Alas, people like me are only needed in the background to keep the technical side up to snuff.

Boring you say? Well, spice up your machining series with a few reanactments of industrial accidents to increase viewership. Oddly peolpe are drawn to gore, dysfunctonality and mishap like moths to a flame.

Look at all of the current vampire fantasies and the medical trauma shows. They even did that a bit on Monster Garage when Norm Grabowski cut his leg right down to the bone working on a car. I saw a trauma show once where an A&P mecahnic walked into a moving propeller on a Cessna. Then there was the surgeon who cut off some of his fingers working at home on a jointer-planer. Heck, you could even finish off each segment with the amputation of the week. As with the newspapers, if it bleeds, it leads. Injure it and they will come. :)

Rustybolt
02-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi all,

Dave

It's a toss up on which is more interesting. OCC or waiting for my dog to take a crap.

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2010, 07:39 AM
nyuk, nyuk, nyuk ...

Consider the example of Dave Bowman

"For fifteen years, Bowman pioneered automotive
“how-to” television, beginning with “Shadetree Mechanic,” seen
on The Nashville Network (TNN). Bowman co-hosted the show as
well as sold placements and developed the show content. Starting
in 1992, with a successful run of ten years, “Shadetree Mechanic”
was the first automotive repair show on national television. Bowman
went on to create and co-host “Crank & Chrome,” an automotive
performance show seen on TNN. Bowman also created “Hi Rev Tuners”
for the SPEED Channel; the show was the first sports compact show
seen on a national network. He later created “Truck Universe” and
created and co-hosted “Two Guys Garage” for the SPEED Channel."

Neither handsome nor polished in the manner of a Hollywood star,
Mr Bowman managed to make his mark.

Hmm

Shadetree Mechanic

"no torrent found"

howe and howe

"no torrent found"

Crank & Chrome

"no torrent found"

Hi Rev Tuners

"no torrent found"

Two Guys Garage

"no torrent found"

I have 7 invites to give out to a private British torrent site called

The box.bz

in exchange for a private a American torrent site invite, where the above files may be found .

the box.bz has almost every British documentary ever made ...and all the historical industrial series, and absolutely 100's of files on railways and locomotives

all the best.markj

x39
02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
In my opinion, Scott Gillen had a hit with "Build or Bust" - broadcast on
SpeedTV. It was particularly good when early episodes were filmed
at Russel Mitchel's Exile Cycles.
I agree, I enjoyed watching that show.

EVguru
02-03-2010, 07:56 AM
'Course I did, I've never seen it. Has it ever aired this side of the pond?..

It certainly did. At one time the only reasonably priced DVD available of Rough Science (only series 4 and 5) was a region 1 PBS production.

sandiapaul
02-03-2010, 07:58 AM
OCC? What the heck is that?

Your Old Dog
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
It's a toss up on which is more interesting. OCC or waiting for my dog to take a crap.

You don't have a cat too? Get one. Canned cat food will get your dog moving right now and get you back to that TV :D

the box.bz has almost every British documentary ever made ...and all the historical industrial series, and absolutely 100's of files on railways and locomotives

all the best.markj

Trains, there's another topic with incredible interest in this country..... it's huge.

tmc_31
02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
OCC? What the heck is that?

ADD
ADHD
OCC

All can be treated with medication

Tim

A.K. Boomer
02-03-2010, 10:15 AM
You see the same thing with lottery winners. It's actually rather rare for a lottery winner, especially of a large one, to still be sane and stable three to five years down the road.

Few people, really, can handle instant or near-instant cash, fewer still can handle fame. .

Its the first blunder on the Mahatma's list; wealth without work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Blunders_of_the_World

Actually some pretty good guidelines in there including the insight of his grandson.

I watched about a half episode of that show one time, even if you could cut through the drama you still end up with a total impractical piece of crap that doesn't do anything right - Their stuff especially looks terrible to me, Form has to follow function - unless you want nothing more than hillbilly's viewing the show.
Sounds like that's what they have...

danlb
02-05-2010, 02:22 AM
I, for one, would love to see a 'how it's made, extreme edition".

They could simply take all the footage that did not make it into the 8 minute snippets and use them to create more in depth episodes.

Current: " The bottles are filled as they go through this machine, then are capped"

Extreme Edition: "The bottles are moved along the conveyor by the neoprene rollers. Neoprene was chosen because it maintains a consistent measure of friction even when splashed by the contents of the bottle. The rollers wear and are replaced monthly. Let's look at how they are secured for ease of replacement....."

Sigh. I wish.

Dan

Davek0974
02-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Now your'e talking Dan :D

RB211
02-05-2010, 04:12 AM
I was watching a new OCC tonight at the FBO and noticed how much more enjoyable it was to watch with his sons off the show. They would have a really good show if they got rid of Paul Sr.. Can't stand people with inflated ego's.

MickeyD
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I actually caught half of the one last night - I had not seen it in years because I got tired of all of the yelling and drama crap. It was actually much more enjoyable without all of the yelling despite being mostly an ad for Haas (Gene looked pretty good for having just gotten out of jail).

madman
02-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I thought we all had Home Shops so we didnt have to watch such Lame Crap???

RancherBill
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
OCC is a soap opera with tools.

The thing that I always think about is that viewers are encouraged to emulate the techniques these guys use. In the early seasons, especially, they were always hacking frames, or building their own.

I can just see somebody going down the road and having a frame failure - think Toyota recall.:D

JTToner
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't ask me why, but I watched it again last night as I do every week. Sure would be nice if they didn't waste time with Jr's dog patch project or Mike's off-topic gig of the week, and used that time to give more details of the fabrication. Also, loose the phony dead lines, they don't add drama to the show. Junior the drama queen, or is it Junior the "queen", provides that . If only Jason , Rick, and the other real fabricators would pool their money and open their own shop.

gnm109
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I quit watching it when I saw them doing Mig tack welds without eye protection.

The Teutels, et al, have also been accused of fraud in a Bankruptcy done for one of their enterprises. I don't know what the outcome was.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/NEWS/706260312

JTToner
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I noticed them last night, both tacking and welding, with what looked to be just some yellow colored safety glasses. I know that ultra violet radiation is part of the danger the eyes when welding and that some Lexan lenses claim to filter out 99.9% of uV radiation, but still that didn't look right to me. I use a Miller auto-darkening hood and adjust it as dark as I can and still be able to see what I'm welding, and it has a Lexan magnifier lens. The reason I paid big $$ for the Miller when I could have bought an HF for less than 1/4 the cost of the Miller is that its easier to replace the money than to replace the eyes. Am I missing something?

lazlo
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
OCC is a soap opera with tools.

Like most reality shows, it's scripted to be that way.

I was flipping channels last night and saw several minutes of the current season. Paul Sr. looks really bad -- is he sick?

Like a lot of Discovery Channel shows, their shop is a total commercial -- the shop gear is setup specifically to showcase the sponsors. I had a good chuckle when Sr. was working on a complete Sears "Gladiator" workbench/cabinet set, that looked like it was transplanted right out of the showroom floor. Right next to a complete Snap-On workbench/cabinet set. :)

CountZero
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
The eyes are one thing, they usually blinks during the welding :p , I would be concerned about what the UV does to the rest of the exposed skin too. I always cover up completely even doing just some minor spot welding. I did weld a little with bare arms once and the resulting tan I got made me think twice about doing that again... cancer is not a fun thing to have.

Sportandmiah
02-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Tank Overhaul was a great show. Is it still in production? Machining was routine as some of the parts were hand made.

Chester
02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I quit watching it when I saw them doing Mig tack welds without eye protection.

This seems to have crept into many other fabricating shows too. Not sure who started that "approved" procedure. Wonder how they feel about macular degeneration if they make it to sixty?

Couple of years back my wife and I crossed the Thousand Islands Bridge into N.Y. state and stopped in a tourist center a mile or so down the road. Found a brochure in there promoting the state tourist attractions, and guess who took up about 1/3 of the cover? Yup........asked the lady in charge about that and she said "you wouldn't believe the number of people stopping in looking for those guys" Was not one of our destinations...........

MickeyD
02-05-2010, 07:59 PM
There was another on called Weaponology on the Science Channel that had a lot of good machining content. The guy was really strange but he did really nice work.

jixxerbill
02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
most of the shows being talked about started out as a concept or somebody shot some video and got it in the right hands to be seen !!!! you guys need to breakout your video cameras and start shooting some stuff being made !!!! and please send me a copy or post it to youtube so i can learn some more !!!!

OldRedFord
02-06-2010, 07:14 AM
There's been some shows on with building content athough not necessarily machining.

"Ancient Discoveries" "
"Ancient Machines?" "

Nova has done some too, but the name escapes me. Because these are primarily historically based, a lot of the constructions tend to be wooden and timber framed, etc.

The BBC has partnered with some others to make and show several series I've seen in the past currently off air AFAIK.

The Connections series were so highly regarded, they were routinely shown in the Engineering Faculty over the lunch hour when I was still in school.

For an hour of bloody recreations, there's a series on Spike called something like "Ultimate(?) Warriors" that tests ancient weapons sets then runs computer simulations of battles between selected wariors like Samuri vs Apache, etc. The simulations are done with pig carcasses and ballistic gel models with a few force/pressure cells and baggies full of simulated blood thrown in.

Connections (I and II) were great, along with Secret Life of Machines.

Steve.

I hate fake drama so much.

On DIY there is a show called "Hauling House" They are really bad about the fake drama. OMG the house might not clear the railings on the bridge....but then it does with like four feet to spare. Heck dont they check these things before moving a house?

There also used to be a show on DIY that did touch on welding a bit. But have not seen the show lately.

Someone should set up a half our show and have it online, and go from there. At least that is how I would go about starting this.

plastikosmd
02-06-2010, 08:17 AM
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431609

Sandra Bullock has been good for this man. Whilst I was in Savannah, I saw this beautiful Chop, supercharger on the side, workmanship like no other.. yeah.. I got a idea it belonged to this man.

My first opinion of him, a egotistical prick. Not so sure now. I was one of them once.. to some people I still am. I thought I was the "best" tattoo artist in the whole world. It don't take but a few shows to "humble you". As normal, artists with a huge ego look down their nose at all others. I have always kept my eyes open all the way around. Learned when I can, helped when I can.

Now, my eyes bad at times. I don't regret a thing. I have became a metal shaper, among other things. Just another medium to work in.

(look at the upholstery work in that merc there on JJ site.., Kinda makes me feel bad to "narrow and hand stitch a old rear seat to go into my 1948 truck".. Just don't measure up)
"

I agree, Mr. James does some beautiful work. I always got a kick out of his attitude/persona. Thanks for the link, (first i couldnt get to work tho)

lazlo
02-06-2010, 10:50 AM

"Ancient Discoveries" "
"Ancient Machines?" "

Great list except for "Ancient Discoveries." That's the histrionic series that's affiliated with the New Scientist, where they sensationalize the Antikythera Mechanism into "The Ancients made computers thousands of years ago", a little rolling toy with string wrapped around an axle into "The Ancients made robots thousands of years ago", a Chinese rocket becomes "The Ancients made cruise missles thousands of years ago" (seriously!)...

Another great list. I think Tank Overhaul, that Sport mentioned, was also a BBC series, and it was also outstanding -- a lot of machining content. Watching the British team welding two halves of Sherman tanks together in their home shop was simply amazing.

Hadn't heard of Connections before -- I'm downloading it now...

Alistair Hosie
02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I have watched this many times.It is somewhat entartaining although I don't see the talent in the hands of the Tuttel family they do (it seems to me ) very little most of the stuff is farmed out to the real experts and talented people.Have you ever seen the paint or weld a complete tank all I see is stitching welds and they send it off.all the chromework / paintwork makes it look like they are turning out nice bikes.I have never seen any real talent there at all even the ideas are very poor.Frames and wheels are all bought in so is most of the really well engineered parts.I think they would be better sticking to making garden railings and barbecues.Rant over :DAlistair

MrSleepy
02-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I really enjoyed Tank Overhaul...I have them on my PVR so I can watch them often..

it came in two seasons..

1)the comet,the panther,the sherman,the m18 hellcat

2)the centurion,the elefant,the chaffee,the bmp

All season 1 and the centurion/elefant episode are good to watch..the chaffee and bmp aren't as good imho....but still watchable....way above the shouty nonsense level..

the end credits are for Ellis Vision Production in assoc with the Military channel ,UKTV, and canwest media.... and the Canadian Film Tax credit scheme...

No mention of the BBC so I suppose the credits go to the cannucks..

Rob

RB211
02-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I have watched this many times.It is somewhat entartaining although I don't see the talent in the hands of the Tuttel family they do (it seems to me ) very little most of the stuff is farmed out to the real experts and talented people.Have you ever seen the paint or weld a complete tank all I see is stitching welds and they send it off.all the chromework / paintwork makes it look like they are turning out nice bikes.I have never seen any real talent there at all even the ideas are very poor.Frames and wheels are all bought in so is most of the really well engineered parts.I think they would be better sticking to making garden railings and barbecues.Rant over :DAlistair

You mean to tell me that Jr. is not talented when he tack welds a bunch of worthless crap all over an ugly bike?

lazlo
02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
All season 1 and the centurion/elefant episode are good to watch..the chaffee and bmp aren't as good imho....but still watchable....way above the shouty nonsense level..

I haven't seen the Chafee episode yet, but the American guy with the BMP seemed a little "off", and he clearly didn't have the expertise that the British team or the American crew that was run by the Silicon Valley Millionaire.

the end credits are for Ellis Vision Production in assoc with the Military channel ,UKTV, and canwest media.... and the Canadian Film Tax credit scheme...

Neat. I wonder if they're the same production team that does How It's Made?

By the way, Tank Overhaul was filmed in High Def. If you don't get a High-Def feed, you might want to download a couple episodes -- it's amazing. You feel like you're right beside them as they're working.

MrSleepy
02-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I haven't seen the Chafee episode yet, but the American guy with the BMP seemed a little "off", and he clearly didn't have the expertise that the British team or the American crew that was run by the Silicon Valley Millionaire.

lazlo

I think the BMP owner guy was one of Jaques Littlefield's construction crew in the Panther edition...he's certainly in that episode as a welder/fabricator but engines dont appear to be his Forté..

Rob

lazlo
02-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I think the BMP owner guy was one of Jaques Littlefield's construction crew in the Panther edition...he's certainly in that episode as a welder/fabricator but engines dont appear to be his Forté..

Now that you mention it, I think you're right Rob. What was his specialty on Jacque's team?

He just seemed overwhelmed by the project management aspect of rebuilding the BMP -- like he didn't know where to start, and when the wiring turned out to be a disaster, he fell apart. That was the one episode that had a very unsatisfying ending -- you didn't get the feeling that he was going to finish.

Then again, he did a superb job on his T34 (which was an infinitely simpler vehicle), so hopefully he'll just keep at it...

tooldog454
02-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I would like more of this site, and homemade stuff.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1395#more-1395

they have short articles on homemade cars and tanks.

i guess if you want a product, and you can't buy it, you just have to make it yourself.

MrSleepy
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Now that you mention it, I think you're right Rob. What was his specialty on Jacque's team?

He just seemed overwhelmed by the project management aspect

Err...funnily enough...he (Greg Taylor that is..) was introduced in the panther episode as the "Panthers project manager"..:)

You see him fabricating some of the generic seating platfoms the vehicles used..but Dave Merrion is shown doing more significant items like the turret..

Rob

mochinist
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Looks like Vinny and Cody that used to work for OCC have started their own shop and tv show
http://www.vforcecustoms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=1

mooney1el
02-06-2010, 08:13 PM
It has been announced that the OCC run on The Learning Channel is over, with the last episode to be aired this coming Thursday.

Now that the cameras will be out of the way, maybe Paul Jr can concentrate on his dog toys.

" American Chopper is ending its run on TLC and the crazy Teutul family will ride their bikes off into the sunset.

This Thursday's episode will be the series finale of the show. A rep for TLC tells us, "The Teutuls will always be a part of the Discovery family and we congratulate them on a tremendously successful series run."

JTToner
02-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the ratings had gone down the toilet.

Too_Many_Tools
02-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Yes, I know it's a somewhat limited market- despite news articles about the "resurgence" of DIY and the increasing availability of affordable (IE cheap import) machine tools (Harbor Freight, Northern Hydraulics, tool dealers like CDCO, etc.)

But really, Junkyard Wars had a pretty decent following- before they took it down the "reality show" path. BattleBots was hot 'til they started showing fewer battles and more Electra the Airhead. OCC itself got hot when they were actually showing shopwork.

Which leads to the conclusion that a show about machining would probably have to show how icepicks, machine guns and pipe bombs were made, in order to be successful. :D

Seriously though, the show would have to feature machining and fabrication, but not as the centerpiece. MythBusters has the premise of busting myths, but that's just the cover so they can play with explosives. If the show was nothing but blowing stuff up or burning it down, it'd be interesting for about a week, then get old fast.

So what we need is a premise, a topic for the show. Cars, choppers and hotrods are good because there's a huge and varied interest in them, and thus a big market. What else is there? A show about gunsmithing? Yeah, we'd have all of 35 viewers. A show about manufacturing? Who wants to see a foundry cast a pipe flange? (Yes, I know- I would too- that's why they have "How it's Made". :) )

How about a "Monster Garage" for stuff other than cars and trucks? Like computer case mods, tricked out Nerf guns (no, I'm not kidding) modified paintball guns (or pellet guns and air rifles) or other small stuff. A TV show where three to five guys get together in a TechShop-like environment, and build something- the usual "what do we want to do?" beginning stage, the "how should we go about it" planning stage, the build, then showing the finished whatever, in use at the end.

As they're building, like in Junkyard Wars, you slip in some tech; The voiceover describes the machine, explains the technique, gives little tidbits ("we could have done this on that other machine, but this one gives a better surface finish, and...")

You could even showcase a particular machine or tool or process each week or each episode- like one project uses a lot of water-jet cut parts, or another uses a CNC plasma table. This week we're showing a CNC turning center making the knobs we need, next week we'll see a similar part being made on a 65 year old screw machine.

Oh, and there's an idea- to mix it up, occasionally the group has to use a different set of machines. For a relatively simple project, this time around they have to use lineshaft machines and carbon-steel cutters. For this other project, they have to use CNC everything except hand tools to assemble it.

That might actually work, if you get a good, smart team together to pull it off.

Or they could half-a$s it like they do most of the other shows and it'd get cancelled after three episodes. :D

Doc.

And I would add..."..and if you want to see the whole operation the link to it on our website is....".

With the age of the Internet, there is no excuse why detailed operations could not be offered for those who wish to watch the whole effort.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
02-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I watched one episode and can't believe anyone could be dim enough to continue to watch a program that is so obviously fake.

If people voted with the off button then they would have to do something different.

I agree.

If I wanted to watch a family circus, I would watch the family across the street.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM

I agree.

I HATE reality tv.

TMT

John Stevenson
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
It has been announced that the OCC run on The Learning Channel is over, with the last episode to be aired this coming Thursday.

Now that the cameras will be out of the way, maybe Paul Jr can concentrate on his dog toys.

" American Chopper is ending its run on TLC and the crazy Teutul family will ride their bikes off into the sunset.

This Thursday's episode will be the series finale of the show. A rep for TLC tells us, "The Teutuls will always be a part of the Discovery family and we congratulate them on a tremendously successful series run."

So there is a God ?

motorworks
02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
"So there is a God ?"

Perhaps, but does SHE ride an OCC Chopper? :)

lazlo
02-07-2010, 08:43 PM
BattleBots was hot 'til they started showing fewer battles and more Electra the Airhead. OCC itself got hot when they were actually showing shopwork.

BattleBots was yet another series of nasty legal battles that started with the original Robot Wars, over ownership of the name and the league. That's how Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters got picked up by Discovery Channel -- they were one of the original RobotWars builders when it was a small league in San Francisco.

I've heard several different versions of the story, but at the core Marc Thorpe had a fundamental dispute with the other organizers. Hence the proliferation of various spin-offs, and dilution of the various combat robot leagues.

mlucek
02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Monster Garage ...

Has anyone watched the clone of this show called Motor City Motors ?

It's almost scene-for-scene the same as Monster Garage ! I watched one episode where they made a pot-hole filler (asphalt) out of an SUV. It was ok, waaaaaaayyyyy too much the same as the aforementioned show, though, complete with its own little dramas.

I think I'll watch another 1 or 2 episodes and see if it improves.

Mike

boslab
02-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I reckon a good programme, even machining somthing will make an audience not look for one?
who the hell would think fishing was interesting....
somthing about building it an they will come perhaps comes to mind
i'm sad enough to admit watching OCC once or twice but cant get my head round why anyone would want to build a bike that looks like a firetruck, theme bikes are an abomination to me, my triumph loooks like, let me see.... a great big bloody moterbike, just the way i like it
mark