PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area, California, need shop space.

RB211
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Well when I left NY, I left behind a nice South Bend Lathe. When I left Florida for California for my flying job, I left behind all my tools. Now about my 2nd week in the Bay Area, I am feeling very deep emotional pulls about my workshop not being here. It does not help that I have the weekends and days off, that I only fly a few hours at night, 4 days a week. For the first time in my life, I have copious amounts of free time AND an income...
I have no garage, I am simply renting a bedroom in a house...
I've called up public storage places and because of lawyers, I cannot use one as a workshop.
I called up the airport authority for getting a hangar... All taken, and for some reason they expect me to own an airplane...
I know some of you are in this area, do you have any suggestions? I don't need a lot of space, preferably under 250$ a month, and 220v Public storage would of been perfect...
There is also the Golden Gate Live Steamers 4 miles from where I live, just rubbing salt into the wounds, hah.

ckelloug
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Take a look at a Techshop membership. Techshop is in menlo park.

--Cameron

beanbag
02-02-2010, 04:23 PM
There are plenty of areas in semi-industrial areas, which have several building complexes that have a whole bunch of shops next to each other, for example selling bling car parts, windshield repair, tires, etc etc. I'm not sure what the name for these kinds of things are, industrial complex maybe? I don't know how you would find out about these areas... Maybe look up small shops or dinky little repair or service centers, and look for an address like 1234 industrial way, building F or something like that. Then check out the area. It sounds like you are near Berkeley, so the western side of berkeley or san pablo or approaching emeryville might have these areas.

If u were on the other side of the bay, I could give some better suggestions.

Also, please give me some of your extra money if you have trouble spending it.

RB211
02-02-2010, 04:28 PM
There are plenty of areas in semi-industrial areas, which have several building complexes that have a whole bunch of shops next to each other, for example selling bling car parts, windshield repair, tires, etc etc. I'm not sure what the name for these kinds of things are, industrial complex maybe? I don't know how you would find out about these areas... Maybe look up small shops or dinky little repair or service centers, and look for an address like 1234 industrial way, building F or something like that. Then check out the area. If u were on the other side of the bay, I could give some better suggestions.

Also, please give me some of your extra money if you have trouble spending it.
30k before taxes is what I make flying cargo... Not much for the Bay area..

Evan
02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Phone my father. He is not far from you. He would be interested and may have space to rent for your purpose. He is not far from Ashby and Telegraph Ave.

Hank Williams (510) 649-1642

PaulT
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
RB, I've lived in the bay area since 1978 and have had shops of various sizes during the time.

Forget about paying $250. a month for any "legitmate" commerical space (ie small warehouse or similar), space just goes for more than that out here. In addition, most commercial spaces will insist you carry liability insurance, etc.

Your best bet will be a private relationship (hopefully Evan's dad) where you rent some homeowners garage or extra shop space.

I'd go on craigslist.org to look and place an ad for space, its heavily used and you'll have a good chance of finding a private space owner looking to bring in some extra bucks.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Evan
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
In the past my Dad has alway been involved with real estate in Berkeley and specialized in taking run down rent limited buildings and upgrading them to create higher income despite rent control. He did this by providing living space above legal workshop space each with separate rent. I don't know if he still owns any such units but if he does he may have an ideal setup for you at some point. He would also be very interested in the machining itself.

rmancini
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Anything available at NAS Alameda (or what used to be)?

pcarpenter
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok, Evan...are you yanking our chain? First you claim to be named the same as the US's oldest distiller (Evan Williams). Then you tell us your dad is Hank Williams? What's next?:D

Paul

RB211
02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Evan and all for the information, I will pursue these avenues once I work out the logistics of my tools.

camdigger
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't believe he was indiscrete enough to post Pops # in the open forum rather than at least PM.

Wonder how many male enhancement/telemarketer calls Mr Williams Sr will get??!?

beanbag
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Ok, Evan...are you yanking our chain? First you claim to be named the same as the US's oldest distiller (Evan Williams). Then you tell us your dad is Hank Williams? What's next?:D

Paul

He's also the CEO of Twitter

Evan
02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
You must be joking. Try typing in the full name as given by many members here along with the city and state they have given and see what comes up in Google.

You have no privacy. Deal with it.

camdigger
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
You must be joking. Try typing in the full name as given by many members here along with the city and state they have given and see what comes up in Google.

You have no privacy. Deal with it.

DILLIGAF?, he's not my Dad.

Evan
02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
DILLIGAF?, he's not my Dad

Don't be so smug.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/cam.jpg

camdigger
02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
......................shrug