PDA

View Full Version : Tips for boring on Millrite without fine feed?

KiddZimaHater
02-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Well, I tried using a boring head for the first time on my Millrite yesterday.
It didn't work so well.
Mine doesn't have a fine-feed on the spindle, it's the style with the drill-press handle.
I tried slowly raising the knee. No luck.
I tried slowly lowering the spindle. No luck.
DAMN !!!!
Any ideas?? How can I bore on my mill? :(

lazlo
02-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I had the same Millrite with the rapid down-feed. You have to use the knee for fine Z adjustments (boring).

The rapid feed is a heck of a lot nicer for drilling holes, which is a PITA with the fine feed version of the Millrite.

cadwiz
02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread but....Does the same hold true for Bridgeport with fine feed? I recently tried using a boring head and it was terrible. Still skitish of the fine feed I just tried the DP handle and then the knee crank. It was terrible, ended up throwing the whole thing in the 4 jaw and did it on the lathe. Is the autofeed the way to go w/boring?
I'll butt out now
Cadwiz

KiddZimaHater
02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Cadwiz, Bridgeports are equipped with an automatic fine-feed for boring (located on the spindle). They can be engaged or disengaged and they will auto-feed. If yours wasn't working, something must have been set wrong, or maybe broken.
Millrites don't have this luxury. Millrites were made with either a "rapid-feed" (which I have), which is basiclly a drill-press style handle, or they were made with a "fine-feed" which is a circular crank style which feeds slower.
That's why my mill is difficult to bore on.

JCHannum
02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
It is not a Millrite, but I use the knee on my Rockwell when boring. The Rockwell does have a fine feed of sorts, but I have always had better results using the knee. Snug up the gib and use way oil on the ways and you should get decent results.

cadwiz
02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks KiddZ, the fine feed works, I rebuilt/repaired it when I restored the old girl. I've heard so many people bad mouthing the thing that I've been scared to attempt to use it. Maybe I'll give it go this weekend, can't be any worse than the manual first pass.
Cadwiz

KiddZimaHater
02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Cadwiz, just engage the feed FAR above the part, and watch it. It should feed downward nice & smooth.
Cut air before attempting any material. ;)

lazlo
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
the fine feed works, I rebuilt/repaired it when I restored the old girl. I've heard so many people bad mouthing the thing that I've been scared to attempt to use it.

I never understood that either. I've seen a lot of Bridgeports for sale with the fine-feed handwheel missing.

That's one annoyance on my Excello -- for safety reasons (I assume) they made the fine feed wheel smooth and solid (no spokes), so it's a PITA to grip when your hands are oily.

MickeyD
02-03-2010, 12:04 AM
A Millrite is a nice machine but not as heavy duty as a lot of the competition, so sometimes you have to work a little harder and smarter to get the results that you want. A couple of things that you can try are make sure that you have the quill all the way up and locked, and also make sure that you have the knee gib fairly snug. Also check the gibs on the X and Y axis, they are not the most robust. If you are going to do a lot of boring work on it, a good (not chinese) powerfeed unit will make this a lot easier and will give a more consistent finish than most people can get by hand cranking.

EVguru
02-03-2010, 05:09 AM
I've seen a lot of Bridgeports for sale with the fine-feed handwheel missing.

They partially obscure the quill scale, so many operators take them off and carefully store them.

Then they get lost.

Slop
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Here's a site that shows, not in much detail, a guy that made a gear setup to convert his to fine adj.

http://www.thehermitsmachineshop.com/Millrite.html

Anyone ever have any luck putting a dro on the z axis of these?