PDA

View Full Version : Deburring?

Boswell
10-23-2003, 11:14 AM
I am searching for an apparatus which deburrs a just cut 1/4" thrd rod. Allowing a nut to assemble - no problem.
How do I achieve this?

Evan
10-23-2003, 11:32 AM
A quick swipe against the grinding wheel while rotating it, clean up by winding on/off the same size threading die.

Lacking a die, put a nut on before cutting. File or grind and take nut off to clean up threads.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-23-2003).]

JCHannum
10-23-2003, 01:20 PM
If you prefer not to have a raggedy amateurish looking hand grind job, devices called outside chamfering mills are available. They are basically a reverse countersink. Not cheap, but do a nice job.
Bur Beaver offers a machine for chamfering, and Noga and others have hand deburrers that will accomplish the job as well.

darryl
10-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm repeating myself, but I love the drum sander for all manner of deburring, minor shaping, rounding corners, etc. Mine is a 12 inch diameter drum, covered with some foam rubber, and a 3 foot sanding belt on it. This is the most often switched on tool in my shop. I don't know if there's a commercially made one, I do know they're used in rock polishing operations, that's where I first saw the idea.

Peter S
10-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Fit a 900mm x 50mm linishing belt attachment to a 6" or 8" bench grinder and you won't look back. A linisher will deburr threaded rod perfectly, a nut will go on with no further work. A grinding wheel often pushes a burr over into the thread, no good.

If you have just a few to do, you can fit a sanding disc to an angle grinder and get similar results (ie, no need to run a die over it).

Once you have one of these belts you won't use your grinding wheel again, except to sharpen drills and lathe tools, for which the belt is not recommended (by me anyway!)

WJHartson
10-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Use a thread file to clean up the threads. You didn't say how you cut the threads, in a lathe or with a die. Thread files will come in handy and don't cost that much. You will be glad that you have them.

Hope this helps.

Joe

spope14
10-24-2003, 08:51 PM
Belt Grinder, disc sander on a drill, any abrasive thing you might be able to "turn a hand chamfer" on.

Chamfer mills are good, but the question is - do they turn over the last thread if a thread already exists? Grinding does not, and with practice, a high quality sanded chamfer can be obtained.

Tim#1
10-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Boswell,

I subscribe to the sanding method of removing burrs from the end of a threaded rod for "quick & dirty work;" either rod that I've threaded with a die or threaded rod I've purchased.

I use a 6X48 bench belt sander for this. I also chuck threaded rod in the lathe and chamfer the end using a file.

If I want to get "fancy", I chamfer the end in the lathe; first with the lathe tool and then I round over the end with a file and polish. I either chuck the threaded rod just tight enough to be safe; without crushing the threads. Or, I use an internally threaded rod and screw-in the rod I want to chamfer (good for short pieces, like studs).

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

TIM

BC21OSH
10-25-2003, 07:58 AM
darryl,

That sounds like a great tool. Is the drum vertical or horizontal? What material is the drum made from? Is it driven direct or belt driven? Was this built for wood or metal working originally?

A lot of questions, but it sounds like an interesting alternative to a belt sander.

Bernard