PDA

View Full Version : OT valentine day ideas? What do I get her?

vpt
02-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Another year of no ideas of what to get the wife. I already made and gave her the 316 stainless "gizmo" talked about earlier on here.

Any other creative ideas that can be made for valentines day?

lenord
02-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Dunno about the rest of the posters here, but I don't dare get her anything made by me. It don't matter what I make, I KNOW she would rather have Diamonds, gold jewelry, dinner out/flowers/chocolates, weekend vacation, etc.

Yes, she does have a lot of diamond jewelry. There are times you do what she wants and shut up about the costs.

FWIW
IMHO
Lenord

Machinist-Guide
02-03-2010, 12:56 AM
What ever you do DON'T get her a drill press. Been there done that.:D

vpt
02-03-2010, 12:59 AM

But honey, it has a mixer attachment!

Doozer
02-03-2010, 01:00 AM
It's a scam.
Don't buy into it.

--Doozer

Arcane
02-03-2010, 01:05 AM
There's snow on the ground..get her a shovel. :D

cryptrx
02-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Get her a new vise for my milling machine.

Even if that doesn't make sense, at least I'll be happy

- Bill

A.K. Boomer
02-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Give her a spanking, Im serious --- light a few candles --- pop a 12 dollar bottle of wine (hey - there's a recession going on) -- cook her a really nice diner and then give her a good spanking,

You can thank me later, I'll probably be hangin out on-line because Iv got allot of free time due to being single at the moment....:)

oldtiffie
02-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Just don't get her this upset on the Day!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine%27s_Day_massacre

cuemaker
02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
My wife will be happy with a evening out...So off to a nice resturant and then the local comedy club. We have young children so getting out by ourselves is rare....

Lot cheaper than diamonds or a nice vise...

tryfred
02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Be proactive…why wait and be like everyone else? I always beat the rush and give flowers and wish her a happy Lincoln’s Birthday on the 12th...it’s the thought that matters because she knows preplanning went into it and that’s what counts. The thought not the gift...
Joe

Ken_Shea
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
There's snow on the ground..get her a shovel. :D

I love that kind of talk :D

mochinist
02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
It's a scam.
Don't buy into it.

--DoozerMy wife actually agrees with this...she is pretty awesome like that:cool:

lenord
02-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, it is a scam, she cares about me remembering though.
Yes, I know the history too.
Yes, I can cheap out, but why ?
I am "expected" to remember the day and have a good present. Men should not act like Homer Simpson when it comes to their wives and gifts.

Lenord

hojpoj
02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
My fianceé and I do a lot of social dancing. She likes ballroom, I like swing. However, she really enjoys the Cha-Cha, whereas that's one dance I never really went much beyond the basic of. Every time we go someplace, I usually pawn her off on someone that knows it a lot better than I do, so she can (as we jokingly refer to it) get her Cha-Cha 'fix'.

For her 'gift' this Valentine's day, unbeknownst to her I'm taking some private lessons while she's out of town this weekend. I'll be suprising her with a Cha-Cha worthy of giving her a 'fix' when we go to a V-day dance.

'Put in' a little thought or effort (and maybe make it work to your own ends at the same time) and I'm pretty sure your lady will 'put out' for you ;)

Tony Ennis
02-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Teach her to run the turret lathe.

larry_g
02-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a fundamental dislike of all the "commercial or Hallmark" holidays. Why is the transfer of money from me to someone else supposed to be loving. Each day of my life I try to make her life better and let her know she is loved. Being on a farm my wife has a small heard of sheep. Anything that makes that project of hers easier she enjoys. This year I procured her a new Kawasaki Mule. She dearly loves it. Yes you can buy her tools if you have the right woman. If not something from the shopping mall will have to do.

lg
no neat sig line

mochinist
02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Yes, it is a scam, she cares about me remembering though.
Yes, I know the history too.
Yes, I can cheap out, but why ?
I am "expected" to remember the day and have a good present. Men should not act like Homer Simpson when it comes to their wives and gifts.

LenordJust because I ignore a holiday made for Hallmark doesnt mean I cheap out on gifts for the wife, she is plenty spoiled. If you're "expected" to do anything for such a retarded holiday, she's probably a pain in the arse, better you than I.

vpt
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I never buy cards or traditional flowers or stuff supporting the holiday besides going out to eat. I too dislike hallmark holidays. I do have some 316 stainless rod left over and I have been thinking of making some kind of ring for her.

A.K. Boomer
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Mochinist,,, That's why I suggested the spanking, there's really only one way to find out, but you have to be careful - while sometimes the word "no" can actually mean "yes" The words "stop your hurting me" usually mean just that,

like I said -- you can thank me later... :)

mochinist
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Mochinist,,, That's why I suggested the spanking, there's really only one way to find out, but you have to be careful - while sometimes the word "no" can actually mean "yes" The words "stop your hurting me" usually mean just that,

like I said -- you can thank me later... :)I already know she likes it:D

Weston Bye
02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
You guys think you have it bad? My wife works at the local Hallmark Shop. Even before that, I learned the hard way that whatever else I do or don't do, I BETTER NOT FORGET TO GET A CARD!!!

rmancini
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM

I dunno...nothing says "I love You" like tooling!!
Rich

The Fixer
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Does she have a toolpost grinder..................? Now that's a gift that shows a lot of thought went into getting just the right thing!

RKW
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty lucky, the two of us are anti-traditionalists. We celebrate things when we feel like it if at all. Same with gifts, we both agree diamonds, gold, etc. are all a big waste of money.

If you have a wife/girlfriend who demands these sorts of things you might have made a poor choice in wives ... :eek:

Evan
02-03-2010, 05:19 PM
You guys think you have it bad? My wife works at the local Hallmark Shop. Even before that, I learned the hard way that whatever else I do or don't do, I BETTER NOT FORGET TO GET A CARD!!!

You think that's bad, my wife makes cards professionally. Custom cards of all types that she sells. She is extremely good at it too and the only way you can tell they aren't commercial is because they look better. She has almost as much money invested in card making equipment as I have in machines (looks around nervously). Next item she wants is a CNC cutter for card stock.

I don't dare buy her a card. A small gift or usually nothing for V day. We only care about two days each year, Christmas and our wedding anniversary. I bought her a new Jeep for Christmas and she just got her anniversary gift last weekend, a new double recliner full length black real leather sofa.

oldtiffie
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
The OP heading and question is: OT valentine day ideas? What do I get her?

Pregnant?

vpt
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
The OP heading and question is: OT valentine day ideas? What do I get her?

Pregnant?

NO!!!

3 is enough! :eek:

oldtiffie
02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Beware!!!!

Mother's Day is 9 months after Father's Day.

If all else fails - use the cauterising iron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauterisation

Limy Sami
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Say it with flowers, give her a triffid.

ligito
02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Don't get her anything, then she will only have one thing to complain about.:rolleyes:

bmw625
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
pearl necklace ?:)

A.K. Boomer
02-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Why yes -- right after the spanking...

doctor demo
02-04-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't suppose that's something You can have her pick up at work and use Her employee discount on either:D .

Steve

Ian B
02-04-2010, 03:46 AM
You could revisit this thread for some ideas:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=38878&highlight=njoy

John Stevenson
02-04-2010, 03:55 AM
I bought Gert a cement mixer one Christmas and it been one of the best things I have ever bought.

However after reading this post I thought I had better conform and get something more suitable.

Diamonds seem to be a good choice so last night I emailed an order to China using Gerts paypal account for 100 pieces of 1/2 carat diamond dressing sticks.

So she can now sell these on her web site and buy what she wants with the money.

Remember lads up there for thinking, - down there for dancing.

Weston Bye
02-04-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't suppose that's something You can have her pick up at work and use Her employee discount on either:D .

Steve

Why yes, almost. I still have to pick out the card and purchase it, but the other clerks know to give me my wife's employee discount. Too bad they don't sell endmills there.

Black_Moons
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Make some earrings outta those nice diamond coated 1" dremiel cutoff wheels.. :P

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/51/51407/24-50000.jpg

I recommend making a new arbor for her ears however.. :P

Or buy some diamond powder online and make your own diamond coated stuff! you know just incase she ever needs to hone down her nails to a razor like edge.. or uhh... some HSS. Or whatever it is women do with diamonds

Whatever you do, Don't get her a diamond (coated) ring, or she will eventualy test it out on your windshield (While wipeing fog or ice off it), And the result of that test never ends well, especialy if you did'nt buy a real diamond...

vpt
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
You could revisit this thread for some ideas:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=38878&highlight=njoy

That was the 'gadget' I was referring to that I already made and gave her. lol

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6840/stuff017.jpg

A.K. Boomer
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
What kind of a "pre-heat" ritual do they go through before uhhmmm putting them to use?
Geeze, perhaps my suggestion of a spanking was not that far off the mark?

Hal
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
VPT

Did you get any feed back from your project ? Did you receive a pass or fail grade ?

Hal

vpt
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Boomer: I just threw it in the sink with running warm water for a few minutes.

Hal: She said she liked it but complained about it being a bit heavy. I explained that the weight helps give you a work out and gives momentum/thrust. lol

Similar work out equipment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

RKW
02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I think this forum just surpassed PG-13 :eek:

pearl necklace ?:)

lwalker
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Man, that sounds like I could have written it :-)
'cept I can't afford a new Mule, so I bought new tires for the four-wheeler instead.

Probably going to get her favorite riding boots re-soled as a V'day present...if I can find them. If not then I guess a gift certificate for new boots.

I have a fundamental dislike of all the "commercial or Hallmark" holidays. Why is the transfer of money from me to someone else supposed to be loving. Each day of my life I try to make her life better and let her know she is loved. Being on a farm my wife has a small heard of sheep. Anything that makes that project of hers easier she enjoys. This year I procured her a new Kawasaki Mule. She dearly loves it. Yes you can buy her tools if you have the right woman. If not something from the shopping mall will have to do.

lg
no neat sig line

A.K. Boomer
02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Boomer: I just threw it in the sink with running warm water for a few minutes.

Hal: She said she liked it but complained about it being a bit heavy. I explained that the weight helps give you a work out and gives momentum/thrust. lol

Similar work out equipment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

I think its all good as long as its under adult supervision :p --- just keep her and her friends off of trampolines.

Interesting note; back when it was taboo for a husband to give his wife an orgasm ( or they didn't know how to or something that im sure Tiffer will provide a Wiki link)

Women used to go see their Doctor to get one from a "machine"

This is where the bands "Steely Dan" and "Pink Floyd" got their names from as the machines in the "doctors office" had nicknames....

these names where then later transferred to dildo's being used by the "general public"

vpt
02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Interesting, I never knew that.

wagnerite
02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
oh yeah, v!brators were "medical devices" back in the days.

vpt
02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Is that when there was an abundance of "doctors"? :D

vpt
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Another year is here. What are you guys making/getting swmbo? Once again I am clueless what to do.

RKW
02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
An electric bowling ball maybe?

Another year is here. What are you guys making/getting swmbo? Once again I am clueless what to do.

John Stevenson
02-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Why can't they move it to the 30th of February?

generatorgus
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
First I make her a nice Valentine card out of construction paper, with my own thoughts expressed, sometimes serious, sometimes not. Then I put on her apron and make a nice candlelit dinner.
She loves it. In return she buys me a boquet of flowers which adorn our dinner table.
She's a good woman, a good cook, we have a clean house, puts up with my s--t, and brings me a beer now and then.
If I could only get her to clean the shop and send my dinner over. :D

Black_Moons
02-06-2011, 12:04 PM
If I could only get her to clean the shop and send my dinner over. :D

Don't! she will put everything away in the wrong spot, throw out every 1" chunk of brass you have been saving, And then you'll get swaff in your dinner.