PDA

View Full Version : shop set up questions

benniet
02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I work at a heavy truck repair shop with a machine shop in it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what I will need to set up my own home machine shop to work as a hobby.

benniet
02-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I need to know how to cut inside splines and what tools to use

cuemaker
02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
It would help if you told us more what you would want to do in the shop...but there is always the need for good basic tools such as a drill press, a quality bench vise, bench grinder, files, etc.....after that would be tooling a bit more specific to achieve certian ends.. such as a lathe, mill etc.

cuemaker
02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Oops, didnt see the spline part...

Carld
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Arrangement of the machines is a personal thing. You have to decide how your work flow goes when YOU work. The things to consider for the mill is, will I do long shafts and need clearance on each end of the table for them and how much. For the lathe you will need clearance on each end of the lathe for shaft overhang as much as the longest shaft you will machine.

Make a box drawing of your shop area and scale the machines on small pieces of paper to lay on the shop area. Now move them around until it looks right to you. Where do you want the welder, the lathe, the mill, the pedestal grinder, the work benches, the tool boxes, etc. on and on.

Cutting splines is specialized work and I don't do them so I can't help you there.

Toolguy
02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
The easy way to cut splines on a through hole is with a push or pull broach. Drill a hole the right size and run the broach through it. On blind holes, use a rotary broach on the mill or lathe.

EddyCurr
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Another consideration is the kind of power that exists or is feasible
for your home shop circumstances.

If the situation dictates a ceiling of 110VAC/1Ph, then your power
equipment options (welder, mill/drill, lathe ...) are different than if
220VAC or better is available.

SGW
02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
It's also possible to cut splines using a shaper, or a shaper attachment (Bridgeport sold one; not sure they still do). But it's not easy.

As far as generally setting up your shop, the basic question is, what do you want to do? (Besides cut splines, which I suspect would get tedious pretty quickly.) What size work? Model steam engines, or rebuild V8 engines?

benniet
02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I am sorry about the lack of info all I need to do is just stuff like motorcycle speicalty parts boat propeler shafts and some gunsmithing. I also need to know what lathes and mills and tooling are the best for my application. Such as the brand of lathes,mills and tooling I will need and also that will not break the bank to bad.

ChipsAhoy
02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Lathes and Mills won't break the bank......but buying tooling will eat you alive!!!
Leave room by the head stock for long stuff...put the mill as close to natural light as possible.

Roy Andrews
02-08-2010, 01:29 AM
i have a slotting head for my KT mill that i have used for splines and clutch baskets. the tooling is a learning experience but it is magical to watch when you get it right. has me wanting a shaper. all i need is room.

Jim Shaper
02-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Put everything you thought you would never possibly get rid of right next to the door - it's gonna be the first to go to make room in the future. :)

benniet
02-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Are you talking about clutch baskets on a motorcycle? And if you are the splines iam trying to cut is the inside splines on the foot shift lever. The reason for doing this is that iam making custom shift levers.

madman
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Perhaps if you made (machined) a Broach with external splines the shape you require with youre Mill you could press it through the aluminumn Hub on youre shift Levers. If you made a lot of these levers perhaps having 2 broaches a bit different in size would enable a nice spline to be shaped cheap and easily. I prefer American Made Equipment but I think the asian stuff is OK also. Just my preference. I like to try to support North American Products.(even though now they are all closed)