PDA

View Full Version : an interesting project I did

sid pileski
02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
A friend of mine builds and races 944 Porches.
He has a friend that runs an engine shop and has an engine dyno.
However the dyno is set up for American engines, Ford, Chevy etc. So I had to build
An adapter plate to adapt the 944 to a 351w Ford bell housing. The interesting part is that I had no dimensions for any thing. So, I got a 944 bell housing, set it up in my mill and used the mill as a coordinate measuring machine. I then took those measurements and drew them up in Cad. I had a friend of mine laser out a disc with small holes in the prescribed locations. I set that disc back in my mill and precisely bored the two locating dowel pin locations and four other bolt hole locations for the 944 side.
Once that was set, I placed the Ford bell housing on top of the plate still in the mill and “zeroed” to center. I indicated the opening of the bell housing to the center of the plate, clamped the two together, moved out and bored three dowel pins to line the bell and the plate. Once they were together, I just center punched and match drilled more holes from the bell to the plate.
Look closely at the side of the engine block we used as the setup. I rod took off and nearly cut the engine in half!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/DSC_0651.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/DSC_0646.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/sids32/DSC_0644.jpg

Doozer
02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
What is that mounted to the side of the engine?
Is it a factory dry sump scavenge/oil pump?
Man, that is some nasty casting damage.
TIG that pig back together!
I am not too familiar with these engines, but
my buddy had a 914 that I helped him work
on quite a bit. I made new floor pans for it.
Man, do those things rust. I remember the
engine had the factory Bosch Ktronic??
mechanical fuel injection. He had it runnig
pretty good, as it could idle at like 300 rpm
or something. He sold it before he finished it
so I never got to see it run on the street.

--Doozer

sid pileski
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
No tiggin' that back together. The parts were probably swept up off the track at Watkins Glen and long gone!
The parts onthe sides are for anti-vibration, counter weights.

Sid

Bill736
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Nice work on that adapter plate, Sid ! That's one adapter J.C. Whitney never sold ! I imagine the fun was not over after the plate, however, since there was still the task of adapting the 944 crankshaft/flywheel to the dyno input shaft.

Mike Burdick
02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
... The interesting part is that I had no dimensions for any thing. So, I got a 944 bell housing, set it up in my mill and used the mill as a coordinate measuring machine. I then took those measurements and drew them up in Cad. ...

Sid,

That's very clever! Thanks for sharing!:)

sid pileski
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Bill- I did have to adapt the flywheel to an adapter. It was some sort of metal looking donut rubber bonded thing. I guess it might help with shock
or vibration. Then that goes to a short drive shaft to the dyno.

Sid

A.K. Boomer
02-03-2010, 11:47 PM
No tiggin' that back together. The parts were probably swept up off the track at Watkins Glen and long gone!
The parts onthe sides are for anti-vibration, counter weights.

Sid

Gawd I always hated the 944's, anything that wastes precious horsepower by slinging around counter weights,
Imbalance is inherent in the in line 4 banger --- just recognize it and don't go overboard with the Cubes,,,

another pet peeve about the 944's - liquid filled motor mounts at something like 250 bucks a copy ------- choke on it Porsche - keep it simple stupid..

by the way -- damn fine job on the adapter plate Sid, you have some travel in your mill table don't you?:)

GKman
02-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Nice part - wrong application.
Put the 351 in the Porsche.

sid pileski
02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Well, I kinda agree being a Ford Hot rodder ('32 5W/514 Ford), But I can't deny the power the turbo'd 944 engine makes out of 4 cylinders.

Sid

BobWarfield
02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice part - wrong application.
Put the 351 in the Porsche.

Dessert Hybrids does that sort of thing. He's a machinist that posts over on PM. Don't know if he posts here or not.

Still, it's a cool project. I need to do something similar when I get to building my hot rod. In my case, I want to adapt a 351C I have to a Corvette C5 rear tranny and driveline.

Cheers,

BW