PDA

View Full Version : Why are Computer things so difficult?

BigBoy1
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Posting picture from Photbucket was easy before. You selected the picture and got the "code" for inserting pictures into posts. Also you could select several pictures and get the codes for all of them at one time.

Now with the "new and improved" Photobucket, I don't have a clue how to obtain the code for posting! As soon as you select the picture, it come up for editing, which is not what I want. When sharing it picked, a whole bunch of totally unknown items appear and I have no idea what to do. Change sucks!

Can anyone please advise what needs to be done to put a picture located in Photobucket in a post? Thanks.

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
ignore the editing ..look up at the mid top left corner ...and there is a link to the album its aready in.

press there.and you return to the album ..
then just get the link from under the thumb nail

all the best.markj

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
crap its changed again since i was last there

ignore the above

its now even simpler than it was a couple of weeks ago

now you scroll down a bit
press the save and get links button ..

or

save and return to album..there will be links under the thumb nails in the album.

all the best.markj

MCS
02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Photobucket phased me out in the last few months. Ever so slowly every possibility vanished. It looks I need an upgraded computer and operating system to use Photobucket.

My computer works and that's it.

So I looked around and found Tinypic. It works, but they too will phase me out eventually.

Crazy people, those software guys. Living within their own laws.

MTNGUN
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Gee, Photobucket works for me just like it always has. Hover over the thumbnail, links drop down, copy IMG link, paste into post.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/dogs_getta.jpg

RB211
02-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Learn the simple code and unlock yourself from being dependent on them for it.

link of image

Carld
02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
HEY, MTNGUN, I like that photo. Beautiful scene man.

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Gee, Photobucket works for me just like it always has. Hover over the thumbnail, links drop down, copy IMG link, paste into post.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/dogs_getta.jpg

The OP is on about what happens when you upload a photo..what happens in the next few steps after.

that's changed a bit .

all the best.markj

KiddZimaHater
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Computer stuff is difficult because the nerds of the world are exacting their revenge on those of us who attended shop class and played sports.

vpt
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
imageshack.com is way better!

MTNGUN
02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
The OP is on about what happens when you upload a photo..what happens in the next few steps after.
OK, I'll take your word for it, but I just tried uploading a pic my usual way (by email), and it went fine. Something machining-related this time.

vpt, thanks for the tip on imageshack. Always good to have accounts at several hosting sites so I'm not dependent on a single site.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/mountainmolds/piston_height.jpg

Evan
02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Why are Computer things so difficult?

Because they have been made far too complex.

These are the settings in Windows XP that deal with just the sound system and nothing else. There are more that don't use a graphical user interface, many more.

This is ridiculous.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/sound.jpg

Daminer
02-04-2010, 01:21 AM
My photobucket acount also went belly up with the "new and improved version" months ago.....Can't access it and no hellp from photobucket.....

A friend told me to download "Picasa", a free hosting site, and I've never looked back.....Here's a web album I made to post pics of a broken coil spring needs repairing.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/auagminr/ReeliteSpring?feat=directlink

Jim

Pete F
02-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Because they have been made far too complex.

These are the settings in Windows XP that deal with just the sound system and nothing else. There are more that don't use a graphical user interface, many more.

This is ridiculous.

When you are extending an existing system, it is quite difficult to make things simpler, and the tendency is very much towards making things more complex. Rewriting from scratch is not often much of an option, when you are dealing with an OS.

-Pete

djinh
02-04-2010, 05:13 AM
When you are extending an existing system, it is quite difficult to make things simpler, and the tendency is very much towards making things more complex. Rewriting from scratch is not often much of an option, when you are dealing with an OS.

That's only half of it: Computer systems are rather complicated engineering efforts, I can't think of any mechanical equivalent that would have a similar level of complexity. Even something like a Saturn V rocket wouldn't come close.

And all those millions of "parts" inside your computer have been made by different people who never met each other; they all have different bugs; all of them are designed to hide their inner workings from the outside world and an engineer who finds a bug in something while building a system can only rarely go in and fix it, usually he just has to work around it. Add to that that IT engineers consider standardised parts, like nuts or bolts, a revolutionary idea whose time will come really soon now and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I'm constantly amazed at how well all this junk actually works, everything considered. For about five minutes. Then I go back to wishing I went to shop class when I was a kid and wouldn't have to deal with this crap.

Alex

nheng
02-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Look at the cr-ppy ribbon bar on the totally revamped Office 2007 interface. Designed for the dumbed down America that only uses one or two functions.

Now imagine your day to day design tool, costing many $thousands, having its user interface, your #1 tool, completely changed over to the ribbon overnight.

Sounds like a horror story but that is what has happened to Solid Edge and to Autocad 2010. The most ridiculous, unproductive interface ever designed for programs that have very in-depth command sets. Solid Edge even has a brief column explaining why the ribbon is superior.

Designed by a bunch of young software jockeys, fueled by dot net bloat, shoved down our throats with no way out (although in Autocad/Architecture case, there is more than a dull roar on line about this piece of garbage and I believe something has been or will be done to provide an out).

J Tiers
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
hey, programmers need something to do..........

They FIX things to be "easier".......

Easier IF YOU THINK LIKE A PROGRAMMER.

it is said that language has a profound effect on how you think, people who speak different languages are predisposed to accept certain things and not others, respond certain ways and not others.

if you "speak" a computer language much of the time, your thoughts become distorted in a way characteristic of that language.... Apparently if you think in "windows", which I assume is programmed in a "C" variant, your thoughts move in very strange ways indeed.

it would be interesting to see how the use of, for instance, a "C" variant changes a person versus assembler, Fortran, or other ones. That's if you can find enough users of the other languages.

Evan
02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Assembler is my favorite. Actually, not even assembler but hand code the op codes. I like to write self generating code modules that do things like unwind their own loops for speed and then clean up when they are done.

I just downloaded Small Basic from MS to play with. It looks interesting to just bang out something to do whatever small chore needs done.

lazlo
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Look at the cr-ppy ribbon bar on the totally revamped Office 2007 interface. Designed for the dumbed down America that only uses one or two functions.

Actually, I spend many hours a day with the various Office 2007 tools, and that's a pet peeve of mine: they made the top menu context sensitive like the Mac does. In other words, the top menu changes depending on what you're doing. I hate that.

By the way, all the same functionality is there, but it's buried in hierarchical menus. :mad:

Pete F
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
hey, programmers need something to do..........

They FIX things to be "easier".......

Easier IF YOU THINK LIKE A PROGRAMMER.

it is said that language has a profound effect on how you think, people who speak different languages are predisposed to accept certain things and not others, respond certain ways and not others.

if you "speak" a computer language much of the time, your thoughts become distorted in a way characteristic of that language.... Apparently if you think in "windows", which I assume is programmed in a "C" variant, your thoughts move in very strange ways indeed.

it would be interesting to see how the use of, for instance, a "C" variant changes a person versus assembler, Fortran, or other ones. That's if you can find enough users of the other languages.

It's not really the programmers, or it shouldn't be, anyway. It's the designers deciding how the user should work with the system. When they make the programmers decide how things should work, that's when things really get loopy.

Programmers don't think like other people. Kinda like HSMers, but worse.

-Pete

lazlo
02-04-2010, 12:24 PM

LOL! How true :)

Software companies don't make money by selling the same product year after year. They make money by adding features to entice you to buy the next product, or with strategic obsolescence of the software if the former doesn't work.

So there's a complex arms-race between Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Mozilla et al -- they're all looking at each other's products, copying the good stuff, adding new features to see if they'll take off.

As a hardware designer, that works well for me, 'cause all that sh!t takes more cpu horsepower and more memory, so you don't have to coerce people to upgrade their hardware ;)

Evan
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM

You're right. There is an interesting break from the usual tech dominance of men in most technical fields too. Programming is about 50/50 split men and women unlike nearly all other technical occupations with the exception of technical writing which is also about even.

lazlo
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Programming is about 50/50 split men and women unlike nearly all other technical occupations with the exception of technical writing which is also about even.

Depends on which field. The majority of COBOL programmers are female (my Mom is/was one :)). The vast majority of game developers are male.

There are a surprising number of software developers at IBM, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ... where women comprise about 10 - 15% of the technical staff.

Evan
02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
It still averages 50/50 men and women in programming overall. I find it interesting because it doesn't matter what sort of programming you do the logic is the same. Interest in the particular applications may well vary as you state but it doesn't make a great difference to the basic skill set required or the mental gymnastics needed to do the job.

In start contrast is the field of precision machining and tool/die work. Females make up less than 6 percent of the workers. Computer repair and similar technical jobs are about 80 percent male.

MTNGUN
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
As a hardware designer, that works well for me, 'cause all that sh!t takes more cpu horsepower and more memory, so you don't have to coerce people to upgrade their hardware ;)
Darned right. You have to wonder if Bill Gates gets a kickback from Intel and Micron and Samsung.

Software is written by geeks. Geeks use high end computers.

I still use floppies to interface my Linux/Windoze desktops with the DOS CNC boxes. Works for me, it's a lot easier than maintaining a network that talks to three different operating systems. But the Linux geeks are phasing out support for floppies because everyone knows floppies are obsolete. Grrrr !!!!

My cheapo desktops have Intel integrated graphics controllers. Geeks use the latest and greatest graphics cards. The Linux geeks are really proud of themselves for being quick to add support for their high end graphics cards. Except...... the last couple of Linux releases no longer support many Intel integrated graphics controllers --- and there are millions and millions of them out there. Way to expand your market share !!!!

J Tiers
02-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Programming is about 50/50 split men and women unlike nearly all other technical occupations with the exception of technical writing which is also about even.

tech writing is even split? OK........ But 80% or so of all tech writers I have met have been female....... maybe the male ones were too embarrassed to admit that they were tech writers...;)