PDA

View Full Version : Workbench question

Luke55
02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi My workbench surface is a 5/16 plate over side by side hardwood 2X4
Once in his life it serves as a welding table. Today I removed all bumps and nicks and sand it down. Now it so shiny I can lose a ton of brick on it. What is the best color to paint it so it will be easy to find tiny parts.
Thanks

Toolguy
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Paint will always be scraping off and making a mess. You might think about black oxide.

jeremy13
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Blue seems to be a good color for me, but not to dark. Theirs not to many things that you will take apart that is blue and it's not to easy to see dirt on it.

Slop
02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
How about white?

Tim Clarke
02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
About 10 years ago I put a piece of black hard rubber belting on top of my bench. I like it a lot, and it'll probably last for many more years. Little parts of steel, aluminum, and brass are easy to find. Those ittybitty black oxide 4-40 setscrews just seem to vanish.

I'll vote with those who say the paint won't last, but you'll find out all too soon if, for your use they're right...........

TC

Boucher
02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I like the gray metal primer color.

darryl
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
If you want to paint, I'd use a matte not gloss, and make it a pleasant color. Something grey to teal would work for me. I'd be tempted to look at engine paint, or consider floor enamel or epoxy.

One of my benches is light blue- I don't like it. Another one is dull yellow, I hate that one. Another has a lacquered finish over the woodgrain- I don't care for that either, but nothing makes me sicker than the yellow.

I don't mind the raw look of mdf, though it oil stains, etc quite easily. Maybe if it was oiled over the whole thing before being used it might be alright. I haven't tried that.

But you have a piece of steel. Definitely primer it properly, then use a tough paint as I suggested above.

Carld
02-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Keep it oiled and use it as is. I have a 5'x5' workbench with a metal top over wood and it's not painted and it is just fine.

Jim2
02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm with Carl. I have a piece of 3/16" hot-rolled on top of the stand for my mill. There's always enough oil on it so that it doesn't rust. I think you'd be a lot happier with that than you'd be if there's paint chipping off all the time.

Jim

Falcon67
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Gray epoxy etching primer would be the best coverage. It should bite into the metal and it'll seal up.

DICKEYBIRD
02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Old treadmill belts work great for a bench covering.

Too_Many_Tools
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Depends on what you use it for.

Heavy metal type work...just oil or LPS3 thinned with a solvent.

Lighter duty...paint.

While epoxies are tougher, one needs to realize that you will be repainting it later.

Ever have to prep a surface for repainting?

Some paints can be really tough to prep for repainting.

I use oil or the LPS3 for active surfaces and will paint a surface if I know it will be in a humid environment.