PDA

View Full Version : When should you stop for lunch?

small.planes
02-05-2010, 05:04 PM
As detailed here (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39569) I was prototyping today.
I could only get hold of 1" thick alloy at short notice, and the design is using 5/8". Thats why the sides stick out here:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/05022010094.jpg

No problem, Ill just remove the extra metal. It was getting close to lunch time, and I thought Id just do one and then go for lunch.
Set it up in the 4 jaw, set the DRO and took a light cut. All ok.
Then I had a brainfart.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/05022010096.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/small_planes/05022010095.jpg

Fortunately I have made a habit of not standing in line with flat spinny things in the lathe chuck, and My reactions managed to shut the lathe of almost instantly. Damage was cosmetic to the part, good job to, as its matched to the other one for Bore, Keyway and top height. Completely bust up the insert on the tooling, into little pieces.

So the answer is that you should stop for lunch a little earlier, when you havent broken anything ;)

Dave

MotorradMike
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for posting this Dave. Nice to see there's no blood but I'd like to see your right hand as well. :D

I don't miss any meals. I do push some stuff with low blood sugar but not on the rotating machinery.

All my mess-ups are due to learning curve. So far.

Mike

Carld
02-05-2010, 06:39 PM
If it's close to lunch time and I have completed a job (in my shop of course) then I ask myself, self, do you really want to eat or work. Most the time "self" says beer and food for me so I go to the house and eat.

I too have had things happen when I pushed past "the point of no return". In fact, that is why I am here right now. I just finished turning the first step on a job and it's close to supper so "self" said to me, eat and relax so I did.

John Stevenson
02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Eatey lunch or drinkey lunch ?

small.planes
02-06-2010, 06:36 AM
eatey lunch. needed to finish this before friday drinkys at the pub down from the office...

got it done and to the pub before 5 tho :)

Dave

Kibby
02-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I got to take a lunch at regular times. It sucks being diabetic. If my glucose level gets too low, I'm done for the day. :mad:

Black_Moons
02-06-2010, 09:43 AM
What exactly happened? worked loose from chuck, or accidently turned lathe on with the tool set to take just a light roughing cut of.. 0.5"?

MotorradMike
02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Eatey lunch or drinkey lunch ?

It's OK to have a beer or two for lunch as long as it's American.
Nothing like Tetley's, more like very weak fizzy tea.

Mike

Sarbatche
02-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Who bothers with lunch? Or breakfast? I'll get so caught up with a project, or be working the swing shift when nothings open, and end up losing several pounds in 3-4 days.

It's good to see you weren't hurt. Material working its way out of the chuck is scary as all hell.

John Stevenson
02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
It's OK to have a beer or two for lunch as long as it's American.
Nothing like Tetley's, more like very weak fizzy tea.

Mike

Mate of mine got pulled over by Plod in a roadside check.
Plod asked "Have you been drinking Sir ?"
Mate, who is very truthful answers "yes Sir I have had 16 pints of Budweiser"

Plod: "OK Sir as long as you have had nothing alcoholic you may carry on "

:D

small.planes
02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
accidently turned lathe on with the tool set to take just a light roughing cut of.. 0.5"?
yes, that one. Moved the carriage left instead of right....:o

Dave

stubbs
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I once witnessed a chunk of steel 14" diameter by 8 inches thick come flying out of a lathe at 850 rpm(not my doing). To say it made a noise and large chunk out of floor is an understatement. We had people come running from all over the shop. Luckily noone was hurt. Ways on lathe were junk after this also.