PDA

View Full Version : Enco keyway broachs

radkins
02-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I am looking to buy a set of keyway broaches, 1/8"-3/8" from Enco and I am considering the import set because of the enormous price difference, $118.99 vs $278.00 for Dumont. First off I am well aware of "you get what you pay for" and I am not asking if they are nearly as good as Dumont, I already assume they are not, but I would like to know if anyone here has used them and how would you rate them? These would be for occasional use but sometimes they would be used to cut keyways in hubs made from 4140 however this would be a short slot 1/4"x1/4"x3/8" and most every thing else would be mild steel. If these things are total junk then maybe I will pass on them but if they will work ok for occasional hobby type use then they may be all I need.

Black_Moons
02-05-2010, 07:16 PM
If its just occasional work, an alternative could be make a single tooth style broching machine, basicly just a tight fiting bore/ram (or boring bar held in a mill quill) with a big ass lever to move it back and forth, use lathe or mill table to move the lever or work for infeed each pass. Grind the single tooth bit outta HSS.

lakeside53
02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
They do work well for your "occasional" work. Keep them well lubed. I have a mixture of Dumont and import. Not sure I notice the difference.

Fasttrack
02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
What you really need, Radkins, is a big-a@@ shaper. Ditch the keyway sets and buy a shaper ;) :D

J.Ramsey
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a set I got on sale from Grizzly about five years ago.

The 1/4" Grizzly has done 50-60 keyways in 4130 and still cuts fine.

I use Tap Magic.

Carld
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
The important thing is do you have an arbor press to use them in?

Try this, pick the one you will use the most and buy that size and the bushing you will most use and try it out. If you don't like it or it fails your not out the price of the whole set.

radkins
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok, I decided to get the imports.

I suppose if I were buying these things as tools that I earned my living with I would have gotten the Dumont but since I retired I now just buy what works at the best price unless the "bargain" stuff is just complete junk.

I use Tap Magic.

That was my next question, thanks! :)

radkins
02-05-2010, 10:10 PM
The important thing is do you have an arbor press to use them in? .

No not yet and I have been told that using a hydraulic press is a very good way to ruin them. I have thought about building a jig similar to an arbor press to use with my hydraulic one but if that turns out to be too much trouble I will try to find an arbor type. If I do have to get an arbor press any suggestions as to size I will need? The broaches are 1/8" to 3/8".

Toolguy
02-05-2010, 10:29 PM
You need to get at least a 3 ton. A 5 ton would be even better. Make sure to get the kind with a ratchet mechanism, otherwise the handle will nearly always be at a bad angle or in an awkward position.

J.Ramsey
02-05-2010, 10:37 PM
With an arbor press you can feel if the broach is binding, if using a hydraulic press it would be a good idea to release the pressure every 1/4" or so and start again.

I use a Dake # 1 for 1/8 thru 3/8 anything larger goes in the hydraulic press.

I broke a 1" about 30 years ago on a drag line gear hub with a electric/hydro press, needless to say the boss wasn't happy.

wierdscience
02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I prefer Dumont or Savage,the imports I have tried range from usable to complete junk.

If your arbor press handle is the fixed type a cheap 3/4" drive ratchet and socket is the fix.Turn down the pinion shaft to fit in a socket close to it's size and weld it on.Pop the ratchet in and presto adjustable angle ratcheting handle cheap.

nheng
02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
If your arbor press handle is the fixed type a cheap 3/4" drive ratchet and socket is the fix.Turn down the pinion shaft to fit in a socket close to it's size and weld it on.

Wierdscience, you are a genius. Just as I was thinking about how many times the handle has been in the wrong place, along comes the solution. Now I just need to figure how to put it on that 3.5" pinion end.

To the OP, thanks for the question. I've often wondered about cheap(er) broaches.

Den

SpyGuy
02-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Now I just need to figure how to put it on that 3.5" pinion end.

Get a 3/4" female to 1/2" male square drive reducing adapter. Drill a hole in the end of the pinion to just accept the 1/2" male square drive. Tap the adapter into the hole, then weld around the circumference of the adapter.

Be sure to use an impact adapter (black oxide finish).

:cool:

Stepside
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I have not used import broaches so I can't compare. I get them for free in trade for boring and broaching custom sheaves and parts for a local company.

I use a 3 ton Jet arbor press modified with both a home built ratchet and a fine adjust/set-up handle. My goal was to modify the press and still be able to return it to factory specifications. The ratchet mechanism was cut out on a band saw and uses the original handle hole to pin in place. I also tore apart the press and installed bronze wear plates to adjust for play in the ram. Using way oil for lubricant on the ram works well. A9 for aluminum and dark cutting oil for steel works well.

The only thing left to build is a device to catch the broach when it falls at the end of the operation. At this time it is a large coffee can with some rags for padding.

I agree that the "feel" of the manual press is important especially with the smaller sized broaches.

duckman
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I just leave the bolt that holds the pinion in off , when I need to reposition the handle pull it out enough to unmesh the teeth turn handle where you want it , push back in and keep going. :D

SpyGuy
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
One other idea...

You know how the impact adapter has a hole for the detent ball in the driver? Well, resize and tap that hole for a set screw so your wrench is securely attached.

S_J_H
02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I have not tried the import broaches. I do have a set of Dumont broaches and they are are very good tools.

Steve

Your Old Dog
02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Try this, pick the one you will use the most and buy that size and the bushing you will most use and try it out. If you don't like it or it fails your not out the price of the whole set.

Not only that, but if they do work fine then you have a spare of the most important size that you use.