View Full Version : Engraving

02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I once found some "stuff" that came in a stick, like a pencil, that you used to highlight engravings. It was white. You know, you rub on the engravings, like graduations to make them stand out. Have any idea what it is called. I can't find my bookmark that I had either.


02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
White lead?

02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I use paintstick or grease pencil. They both come in white and a lot of other colors.

02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Grease pencil or China marker?

Not on topic, but I just love the silver Sharpie for writing on metal when fabricating.


02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
White and red grease pencils used to be lead. Good for lubricating dead centres, nothing works better. You can still buy lead carbonate pigment and mix your own with a lttle oil.

$13 per half pound isn't bad. The flake white is lead carbonate.


If you mix it with a little boiled linseed oil it will mark the graduations permanently.

02-05-2010, 11:08 PM
It's lacquer stick. You can still buy it from McMaster -- comes in Black, White, Yellow and Red.

It's lacquer paint in a wax carrier, often used by clockmakers, and old-school toolmakers. You heat the workpiece up (just mildly warm), rub the lacquer stick in the engravings, then wipe off the excess with a sheet of phonebook paper. The lacquer then flows into the graduations, and looks "factory".

02-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks, that's it!


02-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Those used to be pigmented with lead but not any more. Don't know how well they last.